ULMB on 100hz Laptop Monitor

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
netopatineto

ULMB on 100hz Laptop Monitor

Post by netopatineto » 24 Nov 2016, 12:26

Hello everyone, let me apologize in advance for referring to this forum without actually having an external monitor but I truly need your help. See, I bought this g751jt-wh71 rog notebook early this year, this has a 1080p, G-sync capable, 3d display.

I just learned that the display can go upto 100hz successfully, and although it is clearly specified that you need a 120hz from a fixed list to get it to work, I intermediately wanted to try the lightboost feature I discovered thanks to this website.

http://i.imgur.com/5VosqxF.png

First I used CRU to get 100hz, then I ran strobelight-setup.exe and checked only one box. (100hz). After I restarted, I got a message of "No compatible displays found" when I ran strobelight.exe..... I get it, it doesn't work..

But then I learned about ULMB and got hyped about it, but then I couldn't find the ULMB option on Nvidia control panel> 3d settings.

I think this is because, Nvidia doesn't recognize the display as 3d (But how come I am able to turn 3d by windows settings?)

http://i.imgur.com/hnTK7Qe.png

Is there a way to trick Nvidia into thinking that it can get ULMB working?... I am just asking your help to get anything, anything that I can use to effectively reduce motion blur on this gaming laptop. Thanks beforehand

Falkentyne

Re: ULMB on 100hz Laptop Monitor

Post by Falkentyne » 24 Nov 2016, 12:52

You need to find out if this monitor supports 3d vision 2 or not. If it does, it may only work if Optimus support is disabled and I know nothing about that.

I also don't know if ULMB mode needs to be turned on in a monitor's OSD or not, and laptop monitors as far as I know don't have OSD's(?). I suggest you ask on an Asus forum if ULMB mode is actually supported or not. And Lightboost mode (the "2d" component of 3d vision 2 which is simply a strobed backlight) requires a 3d vision 2 kit to work. That's if that monitor actually supports Lightboost or not.

On 1080p displays that DO support 3d vision 2, you can hack the monitor's INF through ToastyX CRU, by changing the product ID To ACI27F8, rebooting (or running restart64.exe) and then seeing if you get the "setup stereoscopic 3D" option in the Nvidia control panel, and the option "Asus 120hz 3D LCD" appears. If it does, you need to run the test, even though 3d won't activate, and then create a custom resolution with 1138 vertical total (100hz) or 1149 (sorry I said 1139 before, that was a typo!) vertical total (120hz) and then test that. This only works if the 1) monitor supports 3d vision 2 and is 1920x1080 native, 2) changing the product ID to ACI27F8 causes the Nvidia 3d vision 2 setup to actually allow "Asus 120hz 3D LCD" (the product ID it identifies) to appear.

And this usually only works on DESKTOP monitors, not on laptops. So you're on your own.
Last edited by Falkentyne on 24 Nov 2016, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2016, 13:50

First.... Strobelight WILL NOT work to enable LightBoost on a laptop at this time.
But, I have seen people enable LightBoost on 3D-capable laptop LCDs before, but it is extremely tricky to do so, and sometimes darn near nigh impossible.

1. You need a laptop LCD that supports modern 3D-glasses 3D at 120Hz; preferably marketed as "nVidia 3D Vision 2". That means existence of a LightBoost strobe backlight.
2. You will need to do the emitter trick or the Advanced EDID Override Method

For an NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Laptop, I suggest Alternate LightBoost HOWTO #2 (easier) or #4 (harder).
http://www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/howto/
Yes -- purchasing the 3D glasses kit does definitely make it far easier to enable the blur-eliminating strobe backlight (LightBoost or ULMB) for systems that do not support Strobelight.

Also, for 3D Vision Laptops that has dual-GPU switch (Intel GPU and NVIDIA GPU), those becomes almost impossible, but I've heard of one who used the Intel Custom Resolution (since GeForce GPU pipes through the Intel video output) for an external LightBoost monitor, and one who used the emitter trick -- though you may not be able to do it for an internal LCD. There's a >50% failure rate trying to tinker with forcing LightBoost on a dual-GPU laptop that has 3D Vision2 support -- it is strewn with failure.

In a simpler world, it's just a ULMB on/off setting. ULMB is simply an easier-to-enable LightBoost, more optimized for blur reduction than for 3D glasses, but looks darn near identical to most people (just subtle differences -- color quality, different ghosting trails, etc).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 24 Nov 2016, 14:20

I had to edit my post about the inf override/toastyX CRU product ID spoof (they both do the same thing I believe), as I wrote 1139 VT for 120hz which was a typo when I meant 1149 VT.

One of the funny things about using the Toasty X CRU or INF methods to enable Lightboost on Nvidia cards with a monitor that supports it (as Chief said, getting Lightboost 2D on a LAPTOP to work, without a 3d vision 2 kit is almost impossible--I believe the main problem is OPTIMUS mode---if you're in windows, the Nvidia GPU isn't being used so you would have to DISABLE Optimus somehow, if you can do this, then Lightboost can work) and then using the option "Select when the monitor is in 3d mode --Always" option, is you can have lightboost enabled at bizarre refresh rates like 60hz and 75hz and 85hz! And I believe the monitor will DOUBLE STROBE if that happens. That's why I think Benq simply reverse engineered Lightboost originally, since with the "Single Strobe=Off" option, the monitor will double strobe at refresh rates lower than 100hz, and using bizarre vertical totals (like VT's higher than 1179) didn't work on Lightboost monitors. It also explains why the Benq monitors will double strobe at 50hz also (just like Lightboost running at 50hz) but enabling "Single Strobe=on" option will cause OCP to kick in and the monitor will hard reset -->backlight voltage current +1.8v, no strobe happens->overvoltage protection kicks in.

Bleh I just rambled about something useless I guess...

netopatineto

Post by netopatineto » 24 Nov 2016, 14:39

Woah this is a ton of new information, I still need to read carefully trough these replies and do a bit more of research but I think this laptop has Optimus Disabled! I re-installed windows as soon as I got this laptop, -I found on another site's thread, that this is how you 'accidentally' disable Optimus.- So, whenever I open the device manager, I can see that Nvidia 970M is the only display adaptor.

Is this key? http://i.imgur.com/5AJAX8d.png

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 24 Nov 2016, 15:11

I know nothing about Optimus.
But you can try the following:

1) download ToastyX CRU 1.3.
2) change the laptop's monitor ID to ACI27F8, with ToastyX CRU (should be in one of the edit tabs)
3) reboot the computer.
4) if the Nvidia "set up stereoscopic 3D tab" isn't shown at all in the NVCP (Nvidia control panel), go to the NVidia setup folder (where the drivers are extracted), go to the 3dvision folder and run the setup.
5) Go to setup stereoscopic 3D and see if the option "Asus 120hz 3D LCD" appears in the dropdown box. If it does, select 120hz or 100hz and do the 3d test anyway. Most likely 3d mode will not turn on as you don't have an emitter, even though you will see flying objects and logos on the screen. If you are NOT on windows 10, choose the box "Select when display is in 3d mode -->Always"
6) Create a custom resolution (Using the Nvidia control panel, not toastyX CRU) of 1920x1080, go to manual timings and change the Vertical Total to 1149 (120hz), or 1138 (100hz). Horizontal total should be 2080. Then test this resolution.

If 3d vision 2 is actually supported on the laptop, then strobing should activate and the motion should become much, much clearer.

Note: You're just better off enabling ULMB mode instead of trying to hack Lightboost mode into working--but I don't know about how to get ULMB working on Gsync equipped laptops. I don't even know if ULMB works on any laptop screen at all. You're best off doing your own research on that. Remember I don't have any of this hardware.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2016, 15:51

Nothing technologically stops ULMB working on a laptop screen -- it is the manufacturer decision whether to make it an easy setting without the silly LightBoost "hacks" we gotta do (repurposing a 3D-glasses-crosstalk-reducing strobe backlight, as a 2D motion-blur-eliminating strobe backlight).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

netopatineto

Post by netopatineto » 27 Nov 2016, 11:38

That settled it... :c it is not a 3d vision ready display....

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Nov 2016, 12:15

netopatineto wrote:That settled it... :c it is not a 3d vision ready display....
Yeah, the laptop LCD needs to contain a strobe backlight of any kind.

The first time mass-market strobe backlights became available on desktop computer monitors was called "LightBoost", as a way to brighten the image for 3D glasses, being turned off while transitioning between eyes (and refreshing the monitor in the dark -- hide the LCD GtG transitions), and then brightly flashing a very clear, fully complete refresh cycle.

It wasn't long before Blur Busters' raison d'être came into being -- people found they could tweak these 3D glasses "LightBoost" solely for use as 2D motion blur elimination. Eventually, manufacturers went with that with various trade names to help sell gaming monitors (BENQ Blur Reduction, EIZO Turbo 240, NVIDIA ULMB, etc).

But the bottom line is that they're all backlight-strobing technologies... the display has to be technically capable of synchronized strobe flashes of the backlight at one flash per refresh cycle, for the motion blur reduction.

77mas

Post by 77mas » 23 May 2017, 14:12

Does anyone know of any laptops that are capable of ultra low motion blur (ULMB), lightboost, or some other tech from reducing motion blur? If so, does it actually work well??

Of the current crop of new 240hz gaming monitors (the ASUS PG258Q, the ACER XB252Q (or XB272), and the BENQ/ZOWIE 240hz) does any meaningfully outperform the others (when properly adjusted) in terms of motion blur performance? I do realize that the ASUS PG258Q and the ACER XB252Q use the same panel and would thus likely be similar. And does the best of these new monitors meaningfully outperform the best of the previous monitors in terms of motion blur performance?

Thanks so much!