G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
kandor1978

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by kandor1978 » 12 Dec 2016, 07:12

Side notes:

Monitor: Acer Predator Z35
GFX: Msi gtx 1080

Also there is option to enable 3d for all monitors in windows
and I can chose actually to enable generic CRT on this display even though I don't have a 3d vision

The screen will be blank black alot of times, I need to change back and forth between native res and this special res for it sometimes work
The strobing effect seems to not be in sync with the refresh changes of my screen hence its kind of useless
For games it works to have native res in desktop and chose this res in game, this way alt tabbing gets the job done after like 3-4 times alt tabbing

it works with gpu scaling or screen scaling for me, but only if it is set to actually scale, if I chose no scale it does not work at all. which could be because the res is higher than native and just does not work. I get no signal

Hope more people could test this method out

Basically I try to explain again her step by step what I have to do

1. Disable Gsync and set screen to 120hz in native res, enable ulmb
2. enable gsync, and see that screen changes to gsync mode
3. disable gsync one more time to make sure it automatically goes to ulmb mode or not if not, then I dont think this will work so dont continue trying with my method at least.
4. Now set the screen res to native res with gsync enabled and highest refresh of the screen (might not be needed but this is how I did it)
5. go and make a custom res with nvidia custom resolution setup, set 1 pixel more for example my native res is 2560x1080
I set the new res to 2561x1080 at 120hz

now when gsync is enabled and you chose this resolution it will say ULMB mode on screen but gsync is still enabled in windows
And if you have a fps counter on screen you can see clearly that fps changes (I am not talking about fps counter in windows but nativity in monitor menus)

And you can also see the smoothness of gsync in games, just for me the strobing is not in sync with refresh rate which is making it flicker alot and at certain fps the strobe seems to be totally off and screen goes almost fully black but you can see some contours of what is displayed

Best,
Kandor

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 12 Dec 2016, 13:49

Congratulations! Although it isn't supposed to do this:
And you can also see the smoothness of gsync in games, just for me the strobing is not in sync with refresh rate which is making it flicker alot and at certain fps the strobe seems to be totally off and screen goes almost fully black but you can see some contours of what is displayed
Your method didn't work for me. It was still unstrobed G-Sync. It must be a bug in that monitor. Or a Windows 8.1 bug. Or both.

Last week I sent a support ticket to Nvidia. The response I received after giving info was:
Thank you for your feedback. Your case is being escalated to our Level 2 Technical Support group for further attention. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and will contact you as soon they can to assist or point you in the right direction.
After that I told them more things and they basically said "OK". Let's see where this ends. They are treating it as a "Feature Request" (it is).
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 12 Dec 2016, 13:59

Just when I was thinking I could go grab an Nvidia 1080 Pascal Ti and a Gsync monitor and be in strobing heaven.....

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 12 Dec 2016, 18:30

I actually had another issue today

I removed the res and was trying to add them back and it was refusing to work today with 1 extra pixel
So I tried to add a resolution of 3440x1440 to my monitor which of course it does not support, but it rescales to correct resolution basically that high res, and it worked
after that it started to work again by adding 1pixel only extra

So yea it is a bug, and probably my monitor but could be the gsync modules as well

Anyway for me its doing such a bad flickering job that this is not an option for me, but damn it is beautiful strobing and gsync just wish it would not flicker like it does on mine :(

Best,
Kandor

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 15 Dec 2016, 09:36

Hi again

So I been playing with this more and have found that my flickering is about changes in refresh rate of monitor being changed to fast and it somehow gets out of sync with the backlight

I have tried the geforce pendulum demo and have set fps of 85 to 120

It changes refresh without a single issue in this range in that demo

But in games it will flicker like mad as it seems it is changing refresh rate far faster than pendulum demo does
At least I think it is why it flickers

You guys that have gotten this to work, do you have any suggestions for lowering this issue? or you dont have this issue at all?
I have even set fps limiter in game to 100 when running the screen in 120hz mode and it still flickers in game.
If you stand still it does not happen
Its when you pan arround alot then seems the fps fluctuation is the cause of this

I really would like this to work as I can't go back to G-sync alone with normal display mode as it looks far too blurry for my taste at least with my monitor

And I kind of can't go with vsync and normal ULMB either as I feel the input lag (I feel a difference, can't say for sure it is input lag but I do feel the difference very much)

Best,
Kandor

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 15 Dec 2016, 17:03

This all depends on your perception of flickering. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with your G-Sync + ULMB mode or if you are just too sentitive to strobed variable refresh rate.

In my case, games with imperfect frame times were flickery. Even small defects that normally pass unsuspected are clearly noticeable (TW 1 and 3, for example).

An example of perfect games for this mode are the new Wolfenstein games and Dark Souls 1. Try Wolfenstein The New Order, which will run at 60fps. There you can confirm if strobing is consistent and there isn't motion blur.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 15 Dec 2016, 17:28

Yea I am not too sensitive to this if it would be normal

But it actually flickers quiet violently and I notice it happens more when using frame limiter
as it jumps 1fps up and down alot at the limit

I have set for example battlefield 1 to 100fps limit and it happens mostley in 99-100fps part when the limiter is hit
I tried same with csgo

I limited the game to 100fps
and when running with fps limiter it flickers alot
When I run only vsync on with 100hz it is almost perfect

Hence I dont think I am too sensitive. I can see the picture get a bit darker or lighter depending on fps, but thats not an issue for me
What happens is pretty much whole light goes and off not in sync with the screen with the fps limiter :(

Best,
Kandor

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 15 Dec 2016, 17:36

Yea ok it flickers alot in battlefield even with vsync on and no limiter

So I dont know maybe I am too sensitive after all
the pendulum demo if set to 85-120 fps and let it change it does no flicker at all
So thats why I thought it has to do with fps limiting, csgo seems to flicker less with vsync on and no fps limiting

while bf is a mess

anyway thanks

Best,
Kandor

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 18 Dec 2016, 11:46

Little update

I am now able to make ULMB and Gsync to enable every single time without any issues of sort for enabling
But I get bad flicker as mentioned earlier

With CRU all I have to do is take any of the ULMB compatible resolutions and add 1 pixel to both horizontal and vertical resolution

No other number works on my monitor which makes me think it might be a Firmware bug
But what I have issue with is full screen goes black when framerate fluctuates even inside the ULMB refresh rates

So for example, going from 119fps to 118fps will make 1 full frame or so totally black on my screen
Which is of course super annoying and not usable.
But now kind of hate all this as I can not really be happy with the regular GSYNC modes as they look far too blurry and regular ULMB modes feels way too laggy

And the special mode is unacceptable

So now left with haha stop playing totally :lol:
Really been trying everything I can think of with custom resolution settings in cru and nothing works for me

best,
Kandor

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 23 Dec 2016, 21:33

Have now tried a new monitor and its the same, add a custom resolution with 1 pixel extra both ways for 85, 100 or 120hz and it will enable with gsync and ulmb

This time it was a Acer XB271HU
But still unacceptable flicker for my taste

Best,
Kandor