I can't find a new monitor, everything i try is broken lol

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
gulul

I can't find a new monitor, everything i try is broken lol

Post by gulul » 17 Dec 2016, 17:52

Long story short:

My 2411t is dying and i already tried two "new" monitors, but both of them have major flaws.

XL2540: i don't have any regrets with this one, too bad at the highest csgo level you don't even see the enemy when he picks. BTW my results on humanbench are constantly 150 ms average @ 144hz and it was 170 @ 240 hz. The average isn't even so bad, but the monitor had some lag spikes sometimes and this was really bad. My cpu is a brodwell-e paired with a gtx 1080, so it's not a fps problem (i can pull 300 fps @ overwatch while streaming @ 60 fps). So do the math.

XL2430: no problem about input lag, but i see ghosting everywhere. Yellow and Black colors are ghosting a lot, i had to lower the sharpness to 5 otherwise it was unplayable. Still my eyes hurts after 30 min because of that, plus i don't understand why should i pay 400€ to see ghosting on a 144hz monitor: my second monitor is a cheap 100€ benq 60hz VA Panel and i see less ghosting lol...

I am absolutlely not picky about monitors, i just use two profiles (1 normal usage, 2 gaming) and that's all. I just need low input lag and no ghosting. In 15 years i had 2 crt, 1 viewsonic 120hz and the xl2411t, so i don't care about colors and stuff i just wanna play without ghosting and with the lowest input lag possible :D

Now... what should i try? I am out of ideas, at this point i regret sending back the xl2540 :| Is the xl2411 the same panel of the xl2430, right?

lexlazootin

Re: I can't find a new monitor, everything i try is broken l

Post by lexlazootin » 17 Dec 2016, 22:05

Wait for the Acer or Asus 240hz G-Sync.

If G-Sync follows tradition, these monitors will be the lowest input lag with the best overdrive to date.

alex47

Post by alex47 » 18 Dec 2016, 14:37

gulul wrote: too bad at the highest csgo level you don't even see the enemy when he picks
I have no idea what you are trying to say
is the monitor too slow for you? bad colors? what?

I have the XL2540 too and I don't have problems in FPS games
My previous monitor was a XL2411Z, but the experience is smoother here in my opinion

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Dec 2016, 15:32

gulul wrote:XL2540: i don't have any regrets with this one, too bad at the highest csgo level you don't even see the enemy when he picks.
That would be a problem with the game, not the monitor.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

gulul

Post by gulul » 18 Dec 2016, 16:32

RealNC wrote:
gulul wrote:XL2540: i don't have any regrets with this one, too bad at the highest csgo level you don't even see the enemy when he picks.
That would be a problem with the game, not the monitor.
No, it's the monitor. And don't try to tell me they used @ dreamhack, because if everyone has the same delay than there's no problem. It's not the game either. I agree that the acceleration on cs is retarded atm, and when someone picks is so fast you can see him moving like the flash even at 0.1 speed. But in my first week i noticed everyone was like preshooting at me, especially on pistol dm sometimes i couldn't even see the enemy. So i did some test against the same opponents on the same server. There are spots where is really difficult to see someone when he peeks, and you are basically dead if he hit the first shot, but atleast i could see the enemy on the xl2411t. With the XL2540 i died from ghosts a lot. For example on mirage def inside connector i died once from underpass and i coudn't even see him, while normally I could see his head while peeking. The most common spot where i have been killed by ghosts are doors. And so on. For the record i sent the monitor back before the hardwareinfo review was published so it's not a placebo effect. That said i liked the monitor a lot, especially on games like Overwatch, where my accuracy has been increased by a rougly 4% with every character, because of the 240 hz and the fact i was finally able to play using the display scale function (144 was gpu scaled).

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 19 Dec 2016, 07:29

> i died once from underpass and i coudn't even see him

If it were a delay with the monitor he would show up but simply just later. The monitor has input "more" latency then normal but that isn't the monitors fault.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 19 Dec 2016, 11:12

Don't you just love CS players? LOL.
That's why I stopped talking to them. Jesus...

gulul

Post by gulul » 19 Dec 2016, 12:32

lexlazootin wrote:> i died once from underpass and i coudn't even see him

If it were a delay with the monitor he would show up but simply just later. The monitor has input "more" latency then normal but that isn't the monitors fault.
That's what i am saying. On every monitor with "normal input lag" i would see him before dying, on this one i see him only after i died. Is this worth 500 bucks?
Falkentyne wrote:Don't you just love CS players? LOL.
That's why I stopped talking to them. Jesus...
I had the same problem with the Viewsonic VX2268wm, do you know how much input lag does it have? When i started playing cs go, everyone was telling me i was slow reacting to the enemies on my screen, but tbh i couldn't even see them. So i upgraded to a xl2411t and i had 0 problem since then. Once i played a match with a friend of mine and he had my old monitor and I SWEAR, he was always staring at the enemy peeking for a lot of time, so i told him and he answered that he couldn't see the enemy. So he bought a 2411z and guess what, he doesn't have this problem anymore. So, according to you, we are all crazy? :D I totally agree that cs go is one of the worst game around, but at least it's a little bit competitive. Maybe there is something with the "peeker's advantage mechanic" (https://gfycat.com/ImportantIllfatedCoati) that emphasize the input lag differences? I don't know and i don't care but it's a fact.

I can add some other examples:
- cache, mid, outside vents. On the XL2540 the enemy was consistently shooting at me (i was behind the white box on defence) before landing on the box after he jumps, while on other monitors i see him landing and then shot.
- mirage, ramp: i once died from someone peeking ramp, while i was on site, i only saw his foot. The funny fact is that i downloaded the demo few days later and i can see half of his body out on my other monitor. I suppose it was some netcode problem as always, but i can't ignore the fact that i never "died from a foot" in 2 years and suddenly it started happening when changing monitor. And guess what, going back on my old one or playing on a 2430 and everything is normal again...

I am not one of those retards who plays 1024bb (i use native), and i don't follow all those circlejerk like "disable windows clock and minimize your inputlag!!1" but you have to trust me on that. Ofcourse if you go on a community server or if you aren't global or if you don't play against esea eu rank a+ players you can't tell the difference. Players aren't using BBR that should increase inputlag by 2 ms and you are telling me i shouldn't notice 5 times this latency? And as i already said i can do 150ms@humanbenchmark on my 2411 or 2430 without any problem, while on the xl2540 it was consistently +20/25ms, so do the math...
Last edited by gulul on 19 Dec 2016, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Dec 2016, 13:50

Sometimes a problem is elsewhere on the input lag chain. When playing with a dozen monitors... For example, any monitor I own can suddenly get 1 extra frame of latency if I screw up with a setting on the PC/Windows side. Something as simple as plugging in a 2nd monitor (e.g. 60Hz or 120Hz) monitor occasionally (not always) screwed around with the input lag of a primary (144Hz) monitor, to a monitor bug that disappeared when I turned off a specific setting. Occasionally it is indeed the monitor settings (I change a setting in the monitor OSD, and BAM, the 1 frame latency disappears -- like even just changing an overdrive setting only). Very monitor dependant. But often I found it was also the OS too. And sometimes I can or can't reproduce, especially on a clean Windows install & graphics driver install. Weird sheninigans that the operating system does, is quite downright annoying when it's hard to troubleshoot sometimes. And once, a little bit latency disappeared when I changed a connection (e.g. switched between video ports on the graphics card) -- does not always happen but it happened at least once. I'm not talking a millisecond, but an actual full frame of latency (e.g. 8ms). There were times I was blaming the monitor when it was actually the OS. Or vice versa. (Ugh, eh!)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 19 Dec 2016, 20:28

> i once died from someone peeking ramp, while i was on site, i only saw his foot.

Again, this is not how it works. We know the monitor has latency but this makes no sense.

> https://gfycat.com/ImportantIllfatedCoati

omfg, no. the person with the ping would also have 150ms delay added to his shot, making both parties 100% even... i'm actually pretty mad at who ever made that content, It's such science BS.

On a side note, if you want to see the WORST bs science CS:GO video check this one out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z0030jgqzs

Almost NOTHING he says he gets right... kinda sad.