Blur reduction idea

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
kandor1978

Blur reduction idea

Post by kandor1978 » 19 Dec 2016, 07:18

Hi everyone,

I am no expert in any of these areas I am going to talk about here hence please have some patience if my idea is totally crap.

So I been experimenting with strobing and I simply love the clear image and been trying to get it to work with gsync at the sametime, which if you have read my other thread know it has not been a success.

So I came to think about a different approach please correct me if this is totally impossible

Anyway we do shutter glasses for 3d
could we not make some shutter glasses that would blink both eyes sametime in different rates that would be in sync with gsync? hence getting this to work with any gsync or freesync monitor?

To me it sounds like it would be possible so please chime in about where my idea flaws

Best,
Kandor

Sparky

Re: Blur reduction idea

Post by Sparky » 19 Dec 2016, 07:31

The hard part is the same problem you get with strobing: transitioning from a constantly on backlight at low framerates, to a strobed backlight at high framerates, without introducing flicker or brightness changes.

With the glasses, just replace backlight intensity with how transparent the shutters are.

kandor1978

Post by kandor1978 » 19 Dec 2016, 07:40

Ok

I knew its something I did not consider

Best,
Kandor

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Dec 2016, 13:35

That is a GREAT idea if there was enough accuracy with shutter glasses, but shutters are much slower than backlights.

(Not to mention the variable-rate flicker issue, some mitigations are theoretically possible with a fast-performing backlight).

Unfortunately, shutter have a latency too. The shutters would need to be fast enough to open-close.

LightBoost strobe backlights was invented to make 3D glasses work better, because LCD shutters opened/closed too slowly. In a high-speed camera, the shutters gradually fade from clear to opaque, and vice-versa. Which means it took time to switch eyes. By also modulating the backlight (and flashing it brighter to compensate for the dark periods between strobes), you get much brighter and clearer 3D by flashing the screen only (A) when LCD panel is fully refreshed with a frame, and (B) when shutter glasses is fully refreshed (one eye is fully opaque and the other eye is fully clear). Rinse and repeat 120 times a second. Voila.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 19 Dec 2016, 13:56

Chief did you get my PM?
The Samsung monitor does strobing in 4 different backlight positions to avoid all crosstalk.