UFO Test Help

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
LaskoAA

UFO Test Help

Post by LaskoAA » 25 Mar 2017, 10:26

Hello all,

I visited the Blur Busters UFO test page (www.testufo.com/framerates) but I'm not 100% sure what to look for. Also, am I able to share my results on this forum so that I can know if things are good or bad with my current display?

I see people linking UFO pictures sometimes, do I just take a screenshot of my display or is there another way to go about this?

Thanks!

-

Falkentyne

Re: UFO Test Help

Post by Falkentyne » 25 Mar 2017, 12:56

That requires doing something called "Pursuit camera." There should be articles on how to take pictures of moving objects like that, or you can do a search for Pursuit Camera. If Chief comes, he can link you to one of his posts.

Very expensive cameras may be able to capture accurate images without needing to take a pursuit camera method, but I don't think many of us here can afford that kind of equipment.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Mar 2017, 15:28

Falkentyne wrote:That requires doing something called "Pursuit camera." There should be articles on how to take pictures of moving objects like that, or you can do a search for Pursuit Camera. If Chief comes, he can link you to one of his posts.

Very expensive cameras may be able to capture accurate images without needing to take a pursuit camera method, but I don't think many of us here can afford that kind of equipment.
Actually, a pursuit camera can be done for FREE.

Free setup, the "Sliding Tupperware Technique" with a cheap camera (even your iPhone, your Android, your smartphone duct-taped to a sliding device!), actually succeeded in ~0.1ms tracking accuracy (1/10th pixel pursuit accuracy in 1-out-of-20-attempts at 960pixels/sec).

Somewhat more expensive setup (2 tripods, a camera rail, and a common SLR):

In fact, some sites are mid-air pursuiting an iPhone through midair to successfully capture ~1ms tracking accuracy (+1 pixel of blurring may take about 20+ attempts). You simply figure out which photo had best hand-tracking accuracy, simply by looking at how the ladder "sync track" tilts in these example pursuit photos (Scroll down a bit) Also, videos (1/30sec exposure per frame) can be a big timesaver -- it provide a continuous rapid-fire (30 frames per second) during pursuit. After capturing the video, single-step through to find the clearest video frame with the most perfect-looking Sync Track capture. Save that specific video frame. The Blur Busters instructions for pursuit camera are listed here and are done by several display reviewers.

This Blur Busters invention, is a peer reviewed paper. This kind of stuff formerly required a $30,000 automated camera. Now can be done for free with household parts lying around, with a hand-propelled camera, because the temporal test pattern actually tells you how accurately you hand-pursuited the camera, with scientifically verifiable results -- so you can kee retrying until you hand-pursuited accurately when the tickmarks lines up perfectly. Very easy once understood. Now, TFTCentral, RTings, pcmonitors.info, SWEclockers, HDTV Poland, etc, have now started using the Blur Busters invention. Formerly used only by scientists/researchers, accurate display pursuit camera is now finally accessible to bloggers/reviewers/users/enthusiasts. Whenever you see our UFO logo on another website, you recognize that they're using our invention!

But that said, I'm getting off topic...

Most people don't always really need to use TestUFO this way.... --
Users can just load http://www.testufo.com on multiple monitors and find what which monitors looks better with motion. Things like Moving Photo at http://www.testufo.com/photo is also quite handy too. The http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping is very popular with display overclockers as well.

And TestUFO can just simply be quite educational, like http://www.testufo.com/eyetracking as well http://www.testufo.com/blackframes -- teaching the principles of how displays create motion blur, and how blur reduction works.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Mar 2017, 15:47

LaskoAA wrote:I see people linking UFO pictures sometimes, do I just take a screenshot of my display or is there another way to go about this?
And yes, Excellent question.

Over time, we are going to publish some TestUFO howtos for common usages -- such as display overclocking and comparing displays.
Not everyone knows which TestUFO screens are used, and for what.

When shopping for displays (e.g. Official List of Gaming Monitors), it can be daunting to decide which display -- especially if you don't have the display in hand to try TestUFO in advance. So often users, post their images of their TestUFO experiences -- e.g. TestUFO Frame Skipping -- or pursuit camera pictures of strobe crosstalk -- or other kinds of images.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!