BENQ XL2540 Having trouble with VT tweaks

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
b0t

BENQ XL2540 Having trouble with VT tweaks

Post by b0t » 27 Mar 2017, 11:49

got my XL2540 and started messing with it today, was happy to see I got the V002, enabled blur reduction right away, set intensity and area to 12 (for now), messed abit with the OSD and wanted to start vt tweaking, but I cant seem to do it right,

Im connected via DisplayPort, I downloaded CRU from the website, added (under DETAILED RESOLUTION), set the timing to Automatic LCD Standard as mentioned in the guide, and tried to set the vt to around 1570 @ 180hz, but the pixel clock already exceeded 600mhz (it reached a bit over 640)

after I tried enabling the resolution with 1450VT (which showed to be below the pixel limit .. it was like 591) it became like squared and VERY badly scaled..

what am I doing wrong? the crosstalk is awful really... I need your help fellas :(

tried adding custom resolutions via Nvidia Control Panel, same results..

Im just doing something wrong I guess

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Having trouble with VT tweaks

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2017, 12:01

VT1500 is easier than 1570. The use of VT1570 requires some reduction in Horizontal Total, since automatic calculations often tries to pad the Horizontal Total to compensate (That adds too much dotclock). So you essentially want to keep Horizontal Total unmodified (Reduced Horizontal Totals) while increasing Vertical Totals.

You may want to start over again to default, save the Horizontal Total, make adjustments to Vertical Total while preventing Horizontal numbers from changing. This helps a lot.

For those confused about Vertical Totals, see Blur Busters Custom Resolution (CRU) Glossary. This will soon become an article on the official relaunched 2017 http://www.blurbusters.com website.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

b0t

Post by b0t » 27 Mar 2017, 13:03

Chief Blur Buster wrote:VT1500 is easier than 1570. The use of VT1570 requires some reduction in Horizontal Total, since automatic calculations often tries to pad the Horizontal Total to compensate (That adds too much dotclock). So you essentially want to keep Horizontal Total unmodified (Reduced Horizontal Totals) while increasing Vertical Totals.

You may want to start over again to default, save the Horizontal Total, make adjustments to Vertical Total while preventing Horizontal numbers from changing. This helps a lot.

For those confused about Vertical Totals, see Blur Busters Custom Resolution (CRU) Glossary. This will soon become an article on the official relaunched 2017 http://www.blurbusters.com website.
can u guide me step by step ? I just cant get it right, even 1350 and 1400 do not seem to work, HT is 1920 default..

b0t

Post by b0t » 27 Mar 2017, 13:04

by the way, any benefit from VT tweaking if I game (in my 2 competitive games) @ 1024x768 ???

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2017, 14:28

b0t wrote:by the way, any benefit from VT tweaking if I game (in my 2 competitive games) @ 1024x768 ???
"Depends".

Scaling versus non-scaling, and whether or not you use VSYNC ON or Blur Reduction, etc.

There are a lot of variables but in the right circumstances, large Vertical Totals can reduce input lag by accelerating delivery of individual refresh cycles to the monitor, e.g. delivery of 120Hz refresh cycles to the monitor in 1/150sec (instead of the usual 1/120sec), etc.

It will benefit frame-capped situations and/or Blur Reduction situations, where you're forced to run at a refresh rate lower than maximum.

Generally, large vertical totals will not benefit top-refresh-rate gaming (e.g. 300fps@144Hz VSYNC OFF), but it can give VSYNC ON / Blur Reduction users a slightly reduced input lag.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

b0t

Post by b0t » 27 Mar 2017, 14:41

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
b0t wrote:by the way, any benefit from VT tweaking if I game (in my 2 competitive games) @ 1024x768 ???
"Depends".

Scaling versus non-scaling, and whether or not you use VSYNC ON or Blur Reduction, etc.

There are a lot of variables but in the right circumstances, large Vertical Totals can reduce input lag by accelerating delivery of individual refresh cycles to the monitor, e.g. delivery of 120Hz refresh cycles to the monitor in 1/150sec (instead of the usual 1/120sec), etc.

It will benefit frame-capped situations and/or Blur Reduction situations, where you're forced to run at a refresh rate lower than maximum.

Generally, large vertical totals will not benefit top-refresh-rate gaming (e.g. 300fps@144Hz VSYNC OFF), but it can give VSYNC ON / Blur Reduction users a reduced input lag.
SUCCESS !! I did it finally, Managed to set the vt to 1500 @ 180hz and its looking good.

and yeah, I turned Blur Reduction ON right after hooking the monitor up.

Anyone has any idea what values of RGB will look good? got it still all on 100, and also *SUPER IMPORTANT* , Area & Intensity values ?????

b0t

Post by b0t » 27 Mar 2017, 16:08

I have a bit of a problem.. maybe its just my big lack of knowledge but.. when Im in-game (CSGO) after setting vt to 1500 180hz and putting -freq 180, it displays the resolution @ 144hz inside the game, I tried 240hz vt 1200 and -freq 240 and SAME HAPPENED, 144hz ingame,

question is, does it ONLY display it that way and actually is running the right refresh rates (180 & 240 with vt in my case) or is csgo problematic when it comes to custom resolutions and refresh rates and vertical totals ?

EDIT : VT 1200 240hz shows 241hz ingame

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2017, 17:11

b0t wrote:I have a bit of a problem.. maybe its just my big lack of knowledge but.. when Im in-game (CSGO) after setting vt to 1500 180hz and putting -freq 180, it displays the resolution @ 144hz inside the game
It can be stubborn.

Try NVIDIA Control panel and add the executable file (Advanced settings) and change Refresh Rate to your preferred rate instead of "Application Controlled"

You can also use a bunch of options for the CSGO executable command line too:

-full -freq 180 -refresh 180 -high

b0t

Post by b0t » 27 Mar 2017, 18:56

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
b0t wrote:I have a bit of a problem.. maybe its just my big lack of knowledge but.. when Im in-game (CSGO) after setting vt to 1500 180hz and putting -freq 180, it displays the resolution @ 144hz inside the game
It can be stubborn.

Try NVIDIA Control panel and add the executable file (Advanced settings) and change Refresh Rate to your preferred rate instead of "Application Controlled"

You can also use a bunch of options for the CSGO executable command line too:

-full -freq 180 -refresh 180 -high

Ive decided to use 240hz, Even though the highest value I managed to set is VT1200,

will it benefit me in ANY way using 240 with vt 1200 rather than default 240? and are there any drawbacks?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BENQ XL2540 Having trouble with VT tweaks

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2017, 18:59

If you're doing 240Hz with Blur Reduction OFF --and-- VSYNC OFF, then VT tricks won't necessarily help you.

If using 180Hz, you definitely want to try framerate-matching (180fps@180Hz) to get the most fluidity. Blur Reduction does look best with framerate-refreshrate matched motion.