G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
jeanpiaire

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by jeanpiaire » 26 Mar 2017, 19:25

Hi huys,
I just need your expert advice. Do you think the "new Nvidia ULMB" will be added with a graphic card driver update or the monitor need to be updated too (like buy a new monitor to get this new feature).
I think buy the "PG278QR" but i really want to try this new feature, I will be so mad if the monitor will not have the feature
Thanks in advance

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Mar 2017, 21:15

jeanpiaire wrote:Hi huys,
I just need your expert advice. Do you think the "new Nvidia ULMB" will be added with a graphic card driver update or the monitor need to be updated too (like buy a new monitor to get this new feature).
I think buy the "PG278QR" but i really want to try this new feature, I will be so mad if the monitor will not have the feature
Thanks in advance
ULMB is a monitor feature.
It's definitely a part of PG278QR as an easy menu item to turn it ON/OFF.
Just not at the same time as GSYNC.

In general, Hacks really only apply to:
--> "LightBoost" -- it was originally for 3D Vision but also doubled as a very good motion blur reducing strobe backlight.
--> Enabling BOTH "ULMB *and* "GSYNC" at the same time, simultaneously
--> Very odd use cases

These are not hacks:
--> Enabling "ULMB" *or* "GSYNC". Either one or the other. You can run in GSYNC, even quit the game, switch modes, and restart the game, and continue playing in ULMB. Or vice versa. You have the choice to try either. Just not at the same time. This is normal and a feature of GSYNC monitors with ULMB. These are features that can be turned on/off, just not both of them at the same time (except by hack).

Both GSYNC and ULMB are a part of the ASUS ROG PG278QR monitor.
See List of Monitors that includes GSYNC & ULMB.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jeanpiaire

Post by jeanpiaire » 27 Mar 2017, 06:06

Hi
ok thanks but i was thinking the "new nvidia ulmb" like that http://www.tomshardware.fr/articles/ulm ... 62461.html (french post) more brightness 144hz and no restriction with nvidia gsync (without hacks) .
this feature was released on CES 2017 by nvidia but they did not communicate if monitors need to be upgraded too or not (if the monitor already have ULMB and GSYNC feature we don't know if a simple GPU driver update is enough)

PS : at the CES the demonstration was on a "ACER-XB252Qbmiprz" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N34Q6LF?tag=blurbust-20 but nothing new on this monitor except 240hz
Last edited by jeanpiaire on 27 Mar 2017, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 27 Mar 2017, 07:13

THAT'S INSANE!

haha, i'm so happy right now.

It's really hard to say, i would expect it to be the same because the only thing they could change would be the G-Sync chip but it's already been seen that the chip can handle it anyways so...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2017, 12:10

Yes, it is fantastic simultaneous GSYNC+ULMB is happening! But it's not yet official.
If you buy today, there is no guarantee the feature will be introduced officially.
jeanpiaire wrote:[NewEgg link]
P.S. To support Blur Busters, here's the Acer XB252Q on Amazon.

Any Amazon links on BlurBusters automaticaly supports Blur Busters -- including List Of Gaming Monitors. We are relaunching the new 2017 BlurBusters.com website. We do sometimes buy from NewEgg, and we understand NewEgg is great too, so we will try to add NewEgg affiliate support later this year, so keep tuned!...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vega

Post by Vega » 27 Mar 2017, 22:36

So, with my Dell S2716DG I got G_Sync and ULMB working together. The problem is that it's useless. The screen flickers/black frames out of sync with the refresh rate quite often. Very noticeable and annoying.

Any way to prevent this?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Mar 2017, 12:26

Vega wrote:So, with my Dell S2716DG I got G_Sync and ULMB working together. The problem is that it's useless. The screen flickers/black frames out of sync with the refresh rate quite often. Very noticeable and annoying.
Ideally, if properly implemented, it should become smooth during 75fps thru 120fps.

In the case of the Dell, make sure it is LightBoost rather than ULMB, for it to be tricked correctly.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Mar 2017, 13:15

I'll try to get Masterotaku in here. I summoned him but people don't always like being summoned from their slumbers....

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 28 Mar 2017, 13:23

Vega wrote:So, with my Dell S2716DG I got G_Sync and ULMB working together. The problem is that it's useless. The screen flickers/black frames out of sync with the refresh rate quite often. Very noticeable and annoying.

Any way to prevent this?
Are you hitting the 120fps vsync limit? Try to distance your fps a bit from that, using RTSS. Also, flickering depends a lot on how good the game is at frametimes. I had a small flicker in TW3 every two or three seconds, but Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 were 100% perfect (I love how good their frametimes are).

Still, loading screens and loading of assets that cause a sudden microstutter can be annoying, because the monitor can go all the way down to 40Hz for an instant.

About those French news, I didn't know about them! What if that new ULMB+G-Sync mode is based on the glitch I discovered? :P
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Vega

Post by Vega » 28 Mar 2017, 17:42

masterotaku wrote:

Any way to prevent this?
Are you hitting the 120fps vsync limit? Try to distance your fps a bit from that, using RTSS. Also, flickering depends a lot on how good the game is at frametimes. I had a small flicker in TW3 every two or three seconds, but Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 were 100% perfect (I love how good their frametimes are).

Still, loading screens and loading of assets that cause a sudden microstutter can be annoying, because the monitor can go all the way down to 40Hz for an instant.

About those French news, I didn't know about them! What if that new ULMB+G-Sync mode is based on the glitch I discovered? :P
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Ideally, if properly implemented, it should become smooth during 75fps thru 120fps.

In the case of the Dell, make sure it is LightBoost rather than ULMB, for it to be tricked correctly.
Oh ya, it was definitely ULMB and not Lightboost. Does the monitors firmware treat them differently?

It was flickering at all FPS settings and caps with RTSS. Usually would flicker every-time there was a significant FPS change under G-Sync. But even if the FPS was maxed out hitting the V-Sync limit, it would still flicker.

I guess I have to try and find out how to activate "Lightboost" and not "ULMB".