Best monitor for Quake playing with decent colors?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
StupidBlur

Re: Best monitor for Quake playing with decent colors?

Post by StupidBlur » 10 Apr 2017, 09:34

Finally bought the Viewsonic. Can't wait to try it out, im sick of staring at my laptop.

I realized I did a mistake and bought a displayport to displayport cable and I needed a displayport to minidisplayport because my GPU has a minidisplayport port:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/R7850 ... o-overview

I was able to buy the correct one just in time before it shipped. I got this one:

https://www.prolighting.de/zubehoer/son ... -ware.html

but the 2 meter version. Should be good enough.

I was wondering, does minidisplayport have any impact in performance vs regular displayport?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Apr 2017, 11:31

StupidBlur wrote:I was wondering, does minidisplayport have any impact in performance vs regular displayport?
Nope. It's exactly the same, except maybe some weird DHCP (copy protection for movies, etc) issue when used on Apple hardware or something.

Should be of no concern here.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

StupidBlur

Post by StupidBlur » 11 Apr 2017, 15:09

I have finall recieved the monitor. It was insanely bright by default. What are some decent settings for this one?
I have set the brightness to 19 (it was at 100 by default), I also activated "Display Port 1.2" in "setup menu".
I played some quake and I was not able to see enough of a difference in "response time" from "standard" "advanced" and "ultra fast". I think standard is a bit blurry when I do smooth slower turns with the mouse. "Advanced" is sharp enough and I notice 0 difference in input lag.

Everything else is set by defualt.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Apr 2017, 15:53

The default brightness monitors ship with is always intended to make you go blind :mrgreen: The first thing that needs to be done is reduce it. It depends on the monitor, but the majority of monitors will need to be adjusted to somewhere between 10 and 30 to be usable. I use 23 on my current monitor, and in my previous one I used 12. The best setting is usually determined by opening up a web page that has a lighter background with black text on it, and then you reduce the brightness to the point where reading the text becomes most comfortable. A good page for this is Wikipedia's main page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

I also adjust the brightness during the course of the day. At night, I use 23, at day I use 30.

The response time setting will not have any effect on input lag (at least not without using a 1000FPS camera to measure it; it's certainly not something that can be perceived by humans. It's like a 2ms difference or so.)

Anyway, this setting controls the amount of pixel overdrive applied to the panel. The effect it has is visual. Low settings will result in a slight blur trail behind pixels. The maximum setting will result in a trail of inverted colors behind pixels. The medium setting is almost always a good balance between the two and results in the least amount of "ghosting" possible, and is usually the setting the monitor is supposed to be used with.

We have an article on overdrive here:

https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts

And we also have a test where you can find out what the best setting for your monitor is:

http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting

Make sure your browser page zoom is 100% (meaning no scaling is done by the browser) and then play around with the "response time" setting of your monitor and see which setting results in the least amount of ghosting.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

StupidBlur

Post by StupidBlur » 11 Apr 2017, 19:01

Im using this profile color because people claimed it look better with it:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1594199/view ... t_25608340

Im also using "User mode" as requested, and manually tweaked contrast and brightness until I was able to read text on a white background without eye strain.

Looks im good to go except on the corners of the screen, it's a bit too bright or washed out, like on the area where the windows clock is and on the windows logo in the status bar (I use windows 7)

I just cant get it to look right there. Any requests??

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Apr 2017, 23:51

StupidBlur wrote:Looks im good to go except on the corners of the screen, it's a bit too bright or washed out, like on the area where the windows clock is and on the windows logo in the status bar (I use windows 7)
Does it change when you view it from a different angle? Just checking if it's not the usual TN panel property of wrong colors/contrast as you view it from different positions.

Also check for backlight bleed. You need to do that in a completely dark room (so probably at night with all lights out) on a completely black background. Sometimes a monitor can have very bad backlight bleed near the sides and corners which can affect the image at these spots, even when you're not in a completely dark room.