BENQ XL2540 Having trouble with VT tweaks

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Falkentyne

Re: BENQ XL2540 Having trouble with VT tweaks

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Apr 2017, 19:23

I would skip getting the Creator's update until new video drivers are released that properly support it. While it works, both camps are dealing with problems with their video drivers in the Creator's update, like ICC files resetting, colors not working, and other issues. AMD has already acknowledged this and will be releasing a driver next week to fully support the Creator's update.

b0t

Post by b0t » 14 Apr 2017, 14:08

well I downloaded chrome (without even enabling Aero) and the tests worked at all refresh rates.

I noticed that best looking settings are INTENSITY 20-25 (whatever works for u and not too dark) Im on 20 anything above is pretty dark for me, and like AREA 15, should remove the ghosting from MOST of the screen, those settings are for either 180/182Hz and 240Hz.. the ufo's look best at 180hz/1500vt OR 182hz/1580~vt. I personally didnt notice too much of a difference between the two.

P.S : Used alien invasion..

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 Apr 2017, 14:44

b0t wrote:well I downloaded chrome (without even enabling Aero) and the tests worked at all refresh rates.
If you want to be sure, enable Aero.

It's just a click. Why are you unwilling? We're only trying to help here.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Apr 2017, 15:23

Sigh.
This, along with its 1440p cousing the XL2735 (NOT the XL2730) would be a perfect monitor if it supported the missing 60hz single strobe.

in fact you guys know what?
I'm going to call Benq on the phone and complain about this. They're probably sick of me already but the worst they can do is hang up, right?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Apr 2017, 18:21

RealNC wrote:It's just a click. Why are you unwilling? We're only trying to help here.
Let's be nice.... You already helped, and succeeded!

b0t's mentioned that VT tweaks are working now, with "the ufo's look best at 180hz/1500vt OR 182hz/1580~vt" -- thanks to your help.

Good on solving this problem. Mind you, Chrome can still successfully work in Windows 7 Basic Mode, if its refresh rate synchronizer is working properly -- but it's not always guaranteed. If he's locked to refresh rate successfully stutter free, then the TestUFO result is all good even in Basic mode. I do generally recommend Aero mode because that's the mode that is more guaranteed to work with TestUFO. Also, remember some installs of Windows 7 is stuck in Basic Mode, with no non-Basic option so there might have been a good reason why Chrome installation was massively quicker (it can be). I know that the famous TestUFO "stuck at 60Hz problems" is a tech support headache (I know, I get all the emails asking for help!). So let's give slack.

NOTE: Other lurkers/readers are reading, we don't want to scare them away with frustrations expressed at newbies. Especially with the recent Blur Busters March 2017 relaunch, forum traffic is now slowly increasing, more new members are signing up -- and over time may double/triple/quadruple, and we long-time forum users have to be prepared with the flood of new members asking common/repetitive questions around here. Blur Busters forum policy is patience.

IDEA: For users successfully getting good results with VT tweaks and Blur Reduction on XL2540 -- why not create a separate FAQ thread for adjusting XL2540? (with the instructions / and that ToastyX screenshot as the original post in thread) -- then we can just link new users to such threads. Also, search indexing algorithms & search filters become stronger when many users link to a FAQ thread, making it less likely for users to have difficulty searching. We'll give good FAQ threads with sticky status (or linked in the first post(s) of a sticky thread such as a FAQ index thread).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Apr 2017, 19:06

I Can't really help with the FAQ thread because I don't own any of the Realtek scaler monitors. I'd be happy to if I could, but now that I'm getting a $1900 laptop, my next monitor might wind up being Masterotaku's Dell for that Gsync+ULMB hack...I simply can't afford an XL2735...

If I could get all the information on what VT Tweaks work at what refresh rates and the absolute limits before something unwanted happens, and how much they affect crosstalk, I could compile something. But it's really awkward if I can't test what I'm writing.

All I can add is that the XL2735 works up to VT 1852 if you reduce the horizontal total, at 120hz. At 144hz (the maximum for this monitor), it won't go much past 1250 without out of range.

From what I'm seeing from you XL2540 owners, you're getting a lot higher than VT 1500 at *lower* refresh rates, right?
That should completely eliminate all visible crosstalk...what's the absolute limit at a refresh rate that does NOT use a reduced vertical total by default ?(example, 100hz, 120hz, etc? I assume 180hz has a similar default VT As 120hz?).

b0t

Post by b0t » 20 Apr 2017, 17:38

RealNC wrote:
b0t wrote:well I downloaded chrome (without even enabling Aero) and the tests worked at all refresh rates.
If you want to be sure, enable Aero.

It's just a click. Why are you unwilling? We're only trying to help here.

I already succeeded with the tests, which displayed every desired refresh rate (for me 180/182/240 were the ones tested)

so yeah, thank you for your help and patience.

Chief, great info as always, thank you very much.