OLED 4K 30" 60 Hz - Dell UP3017Q

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: OLED 4K 30" 60 Hz - Dell UP3017Q

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Apr 2017, 12:32

Glide wrote:Surprised to hear that it's worse than 60Hz CRT flicker though.
At least the strobe mode (flicker mode) is optional. That's the beauty of OLED, you can configure whether you want blurfree or flickerfree. (To get both simultaneously, you need really high Hz, alas...)

If I go by experience, I think it's roughly equivalent.

Although the ON-OFF of a chase rolling OLED scan (an "OFF" scan chasing behind an "ON" scan) probably creates easier flicker detection than gradual phosphor decay, since in CRTs there's only an "ON" scan (electron gun) and phosphor decay (gradual fade) is how a CRT strobes.

60Hz flicker is better if you adjust brightness down, and adjust lighting to comfortable levels, and play mainly games with dark backgrounds. You do get used to old-fashioned CRT-style 60Hz flicker.

Hmmmmm....Thinking....Is there 75Hz support, even? Maybe try overclocking slightly via ToastyX and see what happens? That might push flicker down a bit.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Apr 2017, 13:31

That sounds like an amazing display. Too bad it costs as much as a car >.<

About the flicker, if you get a CRT at that size, the flicker would be perceived pretty much the same. My 15" CRT monitor seemed to flicker less than my 19" CRT monitor, which seemed to flicker less than my 40" CRT TV. All at 60Hz. It's why CRT TVs switched to 120Hz (NTSC) and 100Hz (PAL) many years ago (around 1993 or so, IIRC.) TVs were getting bigger and bigger, so I assume the flicker would approach "intolerable" levels, especially in PAL regions, as PAL TV is 50Hz.

It just seems that the bigger the display size, the more bothersome the flicker becomes. This is 30", so I suspect that's the reason why it appears to flicker more than a CRT computer monitor, and those are usually 17" or 19".
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 18 Apr 2017, 15:14

Someone tested custom resolutions, and they said 75hz works, similar to single link DVI limits. But 85hz, 100hz and 120hz were a no go. Something like "not enough bandwidth for this resolution" or some strange error.

I'd buy this display right now if it didn't cost 3 grand. I'd finally be able to retire my XL2720Z to a backup and play Dark Souls series at 60hz with CRT type colors and strobing...I guess I'm going to have to wait for the price milking to stop....

Vega

Post by Vega » 18 Apr 2017, 15:29

No refresh rates above 60 Hz, at ANY resolution and with ANY of the three inputs works. It allows the selection and image works, but frame skips! It is a 60 Hz only display.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 18 Apr 2017, 16:36

Vega, have you tried lowering the Vertical Total?
Even by something silly like 1 or 5, or even any combination of lowering HT and VT?
I mean it never hurts to check.

Vega

Post by Vega » 18 Apr 2017, 18:31

Yes, does nothing to help the frame skipping. In my experience, if a display frame skips there is nothing you can do to get around that. It is programmed in the firmware to make sure it never goes over the max refresh rate of the monitor. An internal "lock down" if you will. Even if the monitor displays an image at the higher refresh rate.

What IS surprising to me is the EDID telling the video card it can do 75 Hz at lower resolutions. The manual also states such. But it frame skips so it is worthless.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2017, 10:12

I've now posted about the existence of the blur-reducing rolling scan strobe mode on the Blur Busters feeds now (Facebook, Twitter, Web).

http://www.blurbusters.com/dell-up3017q ... robe-mode/

If you haven't already, make sure you're already following twitter.com/BlurBusters and facebook.com/BlurBusters!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 19 Apr 2017, 10:38

Sorry if this is a rant, thread crapping or raging, but....

Why doesn't someone chip in and give Chief one of these monitors, or at least give him panels under loan for review? He's done so much work for us and I know some people here are financially able to show Chief some appreciation. And maybe this will help other manufacturers (besides Nvidia) start listening to Chief (like *Cough* Benq 60hz single strobe missing on all of their new monitors). I'm on SSI and can't do anything like this (that laptop I ordered was already too much) but I really wish others would take notice. TFTcentral and PCmonitors and God knows how many other sites (I bet even OCN) get panels for review...why cant' someone do the same for our chief?

Do Dell, Benq, Asus, etc, not care about the existence or importance of websites like this?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2017, 12:02

Several of them already do, it has been a time+resources issue (Blur Busters as hobby rather than paid job) but we now have extra display testers this year! And a new display-testing invention of ours awaits. (Some of you know about our pursuit camera technique). And we are now hiring freelance writers. Monitor reviews is our mew big project in the coming months. Keep tuned. It won't be this particular display (Unless Dell sends them out) but brand new-format Blur Busters monitor reviews are coming in the next wave of further BlurBusters improvements. The ramp-up will take time.

Instead of ranting, simply email their PR/media departments. Find the websites, send them an email to ecourage them to begin including us in their reviewer list, etc.

Our email squad[at]blurbusters.com

Vega

Post by Vega » 19 Apr 2017, 23:03

Mark, just a small quibble with the news. Both modes (single strobe 60 Hz and double strobe 60Hz) are both rolling scans on this monitor and the only options. There is no sample and hold on this display.

It is crazy how good the motion clarity is with the single strobe. If you can put up with the flickering. I will play some games and see how bad my eyes turn out. The 120 Hz double strobing is obviously way better on the eyes, but the resultant double image is noticeable. Still, the motion clarity in this mode at 5.4 ms MPRT is up there with 144 Hz TN panels!