Creators Update Game Mode reduces input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
swarna

Creators Update Game Mode reduces input lag

Post by swarna » 03 May 2017, 14:15

https://youtu.be/mVNRNOcLUuA?t=8m54s

System-wide option enabled <=> reduced input lag.

Per-game option via game bar has no effect on input lag, seems to just additionally apply a one-size-fits-all work distribution pattern across your cores which is hit-or-miss for performance improvements depending on the game.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Creators Update Game Mode reduces input lag

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 May 2017, 22:06

swarna wrote:https://youtu.be/mVNRNOcLUuA?t=8m54s

System-wide option enabled <=> reduced input lag.

Per-game option via game bar has no effect on input lag, seems to just additionally apply a one-size-fits-all work distribution pattern across your cores which is hit-or-miss for performance improvements depending on the game.
Thanks for posting this!

We will need to do some lag tests about this, to see how well this works!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 04 May 2017, 02:04

We need a before and after, it could be very much the same as before the update and just gimping the "Off" option.

I saw on a linus tech video that the minimum framerates were worse with game mode on. Overall it seams like a very weird setting.

urut

Post by urut » 04 May 2017, 04:22

lexlazootin wrote:We need a before and after, it could be very much the same as before the update and just gimping the "Off" option.

I saw on a linus tech video that the minimum framerates were worse with game mode on. Overall it seams like a very weird setting.
Linus activated the game mode inside the windows settings and the game bar.
I only activated it inside the windows settings and left it off in the game bar. This still lead to a delay decrease why my FPS did not change at all. :)

#Comment of author of this video

KevOW

Post by KevOW » 04 May 2017, 04:48

Is it worth upgrading from Windows 7? I downgraded after 4 months of trying to reduce to the very least I could, but Windows 7 still came out on top after disabling all the worthless junk (looking at you Cortana).
No input lag pls

Glide

Post by Glide » 04 May 2017, 06:13

I would have expected this to be caused by the new fullscreen presentation mode rather than game mode specifically.
Unless games which are not on Microsoft's whitelist for the new presentation mode also see that reduction in latency? (screen will flash twice when you hit Win+G in FSE Mode)

KevOW wrote:Is it worth upgrading from Windows 7? I downgraded after 4 months of trying to reduce to the very least I could, but Windows 7 still came out on top after disabling all the worthless junk (looking at you Cortana).
As I understood it, the Windows Search process is just called "Cortana" now.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
"AllowCortana"=dword:00000000
Save that as a .reg file and run it.
This registry change should disable the Cortana functionality that runs on top of Windows search - but you'll still see the "Cortana" (search) process running.

mello

Post by mello » 04 May 2017, 10:36

It would be nice to see input lag tests between Windows 7 and Game Mode in Windows 10 Creators Update.
If there would be a singificant difference i might consider switching to Win10 in the near future =)

KevOW

Post by KevOW » 04 May 2017, 20:44

Glide wrote:I would have expected this to be caused by the new fullscreen presentation mode rather than game mode specifically.
Unless games which are not on Microsoft's whitelist for the new presentation mode also see that reduction in latency? (screen will flash twice when you hit Win+G in FSE Mode)

KevOW wrote:Is it worth upgrading from Windows 7? I downgraded after 4 months of trying to reduce to the very least I could, but Windows 7 still came out on top after disabling all the worthless junk (looking at you Cortana).
As I understood it, the Windows Search process is just called "Cortana" now.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
"AllowCortana"=dword:00000000
Save that as a .reg file and run it.
This registry change should disable the Cortana functionality that runs on top of Windows search - but you'll still see the "Cortana" (search) process running.
That's only one of the many bloatwares in W10 ;/
No input lag pls

mello

Post by mello » 06 May 2017, 06:26

Slightly off topic question, but still inspired by this video, has anyone ever tested how different PC components affect input lag ? What i mean is, for example changing only 1 variable in the build, like ram (from 1600 to 2400 to 3200), just a mobo or a sound card and measuring the difference in input lag.

Is it even worth to look for best compatible pc components in search for lowest input lag possible ?
Not sure if i ever seen such a tests, maybe the difference would be negligable ?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 06 May 2017, 10:32

mello wrote:Is it even worth to look for best compatible pc components in search for lowest input lag possible ?
A more powerful system is going to have lower input latency by nature of being more efficient/consistent at delivering frames than a weaker system, bottom-line.

All components in a PC work together to deliver a single complete frame to the display one by one, and while any component can be a weak link, a big one is the CPU, as it's is responsible for handing off frames to the GPU, and then the GPU to the display.

A weak CPU (as well as GPU) can cause more frametime spikes, which interrupts/delays delivery of frames to the display. The more often this delivery chain is interrupted/slowed, the more input latency you have over a period of frames.

A stronger system is going to have less spikes (CPU generally), faster rendering of frames (GPU able to reach and maintain higher framerates, which equals lower frametimes, which equals faster delivery to the display).

The actual subject is much more complex, and I'm simplifying to the extreme, and this isn't even mentioning OS, games, or syncing methods' impact on input latency, but that's the basic idea at the hardware-level.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)