Laptop display overclock (90hz achieved stable)

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Vechs

Laptop display overclock (90hz achieved stable)

Post by Vechs » 25 May 2017, 11:14

Hello, as you read from the title, I've managed to overclock the monitor to 90hz with ease and no artifacts on screen*.
Here's how I achieved the possibility to overclock a non-pnp display, it had 2 requirements :
1) have a updated Intel driver, in my scenario it was a 4th gen intel GPU, it required a update and it allowed me to overclock the screen
2) Toastyx CRU 1.3 (Version here is important, because it fixes the bug where it dosen't actually override)
//Link to the toastyx CRU - https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thre ... tility-CRU
With those 2, I've unlocked the possibility of overclocking my laptop display. I overclocked it to 120 hz and it showed some ''scanline burn in''
but I've achieved 90hz with the top pixel line beeing sometimes white for a secound, due to ???(you could guess its not supposed to be like that and it does wierd stuff).

* A small white line flashes, due to overclocking, but its 1 pixel wide but 900 pixels long. Not noticable if you are playing FPS games that aren't very dark or something along the lines of that.

I've tried verifying the overclock via blurbusters site, but it only sets the fps to 60, not the same fps of the refresh rate (i dont know how to fix it)
BUT!
I did try verifying this in some games, (any Vysnc test) and Counter-Strike : Global Offensive console command : mat_info.
Feels great to play again on more than 60 hz.
Attachments
blurbusters.png
blurbusters.png (9.7 KiB) Viewed 8524 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Laptop display overclock (90hz achieved stable)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2017, 12:12

Try increasing Vertical Back Porch setting slightly (2 or 3 extra lines). Failing that, try increasing Vertical Sync slightly (by 2 or 3).

The "GPU-to-display" transmission sequence cycle is [Active]->[Front Porch]->[Sync]->[Back Porch]->[Active]->[Front Porch]->[Sync]->[Back Porch]->[Active]->[etc] so try padding scanlines above the top edge of the screen (vertical back porch). See if that fixes things.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2017, 12:15

Vechs wrote:I've tried verifying the overclock via blurbusters site, but it only sets the fps to 60, not the same fps of the refresh rate (i dont know how to fix it)
Switch web browsers, see www.testufo.com/browser.html
Check in FireFox and Chrome. Also IE/Edge can be used up to ~105Hz
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vechs

Post by Vechs » 25 May 2017, 15:35

Thanks for the tip! I think it fixed the white line or whatever, because it all normal and acts normal (i guess)
The problem is, as you see, the browser thinks its 60hz, but actually it shows 90hz, i've tried to check with a phone, it was frameskipping.

On a different sidenote : Half Life 1, (goldsrc engine) starts to put 1/2 of the actual hertz i have; for example : 90 hz, its supposed to be 90 fps(on vsync), but in reality its 45 fps, if you get a higher resolution, the framerate devides by a factor of the resolution (6) when i tried 1600x900 @ 90hz, i got the refresh rate of 15hz(15fps)

Thanks for the fixing of the white line Chief Blur Buster!, forever thankful.
Attachments
blurbusters3.png
blurbusters3.png (20.68 KiB) Viewed 8510 times
blurbusters2.png
blurbusters2.png (103.16 KiB) Viewed 8510 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2017, 21:24

Glad my tip worked!

Chrome sometimes falls back to 60Hz while thinkig VSYNC is enabled because chrome://gpu says not everything is hardware accelerated (sometimes you can force GPU acceleration via chrome://flags ). Try temporarily launching IE/Edge which go up to 105hz, your refresh rate is still within their range,

Vechs

Post by Vechs » 26 May 2017, 06:37

So I forgot to turn on hardware acceleration (sometimes you forget stuff, aight) and it showed a stable 90 hz!
//validation : ISO 50, shutter speed 1/12s and alot of tries later.(Phone camera maximum, I hope its good enough.)
I hope that verifies that indeed i have a stable 90hz overclock.
Attachments
blurbusters4.png
blurbusters4.png (34.04 KiB) Viewed 8494 times

Haste

Post by Haste » 26 May 2017, 08:02

Congratulations!

A 30Hz difference might not sound like much, but coming from 60Hz, it gives a very noticeable improvement!

Enjoy the improved smoothness on your laptop! :)
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 26 May 2017, 09:55

Haste wrote:A 30Hz difference might not sound like much, but coming from 60Hz, it gives a very noticeable improvement
It's a huge improvement, actually. Day and night. 120 vs 90, I have to try and detect the difference. 90 vs 60 I don't even have to try; 60 looks like crap, while 90 is perfectly fine.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2017, 11:17

RealNC wrote:It's a huge improvement, actually. Day and night. 120 vs 90, I have to try and detect the difference. 90 vs 60 I don't even have to try; 60 looks like crap, while 90 is perfectly fine.
It's a rather major difference, for standard non-blur-reducing LCDs
(aka full persistence / sample-and-hold effect):
60Hz = 16.7ms minimum MPRT = 16.7 pixels of motion blurring during 1000pix/sec motion
90Hz = 11.1ms minimum MPRT = 11.1 pixels of motion blurring during 1000pix/sec motion
120Hz = 8.3ms minimum MPRT = 8.3 pixels of motion blurring during 1000pix/sec motion

For full framerate motion (refresh rate matched), you have 5.5 pixels less motion blur at 90Hz. But only 2.7 pixels less motion blur for the extra jump to 120Hz.

(Mind you, one has to also factor GtG response on top of these numbers enforced by a display's refresh period, and effective GtG behaviour can vary differently in different refresh rates (e.g. more effective or ineffective overdrive at different refresh rate -- sometimes an overclock turns off overdrive, making it less effective at high Hz). As a result, differences tend to be more stark on TN panels than on IPS panels, for example.)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2017, 11:27

Vechs wrote:So I forgot to turn on hardware acceleration (sometimes you forget stuff, aight) and it showed a stable 90 hz!
//validation : ISO 50, shutter speed 1/12s and alot of tries later.(Phone camera maximum, I hope its good enough.)
[Image of www.testufo.com/frameskipping]
I hope that verifies that indeed i have a stable 90hz overclock.
Yep. One continuous stretch of blocks means zero frame skipping.

Very good overclock!

What's the exact model of this laptop display? You might be interested to know someone successfully did an overclock of a laptop display from 60Hz all the way to 180Hz.