BENQ XL2411 Incorrect cable

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Hardins

BENQ XL2411 Incorrect cable

Post by Hardins » 31 May 2017, 07:42

Question. I connected my MSI GT72 Dominator Pro laptop to Benq XL2411 Zowie monitor via mini display port 1.2 to DVI-D cable, set refresh rate to 120hz and I get message "Incorrect cable. Please use DVI dual-link cable that came with your monitor"
I get ingame 120 fps, locked, and everything works smooth and nice, but how do I remove that error message witch doesn't go away from my right bottom corner?
If I swich to 144 hz refresh rate. Monitor starts acting strange by turning on and off in 5 sec interval. 120hz is stable.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: BENQ XL2411 Incorrect cable

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 May 2017, 09:06

Have you tried a different cable?

Perhaps try a single HDMI-to-DVI-D cable which usually works more successfully.

I've seen slightly defective DVI cables cause this problem -- and also sometimes it ends up running in an essentially overclocked single-link operation rather than regular dual-link operation. Many DisplayPort to DVI-D cables have not always been designed to work properly for 120Hz+ operation.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Hardins

Post by Hardins » 31 May 2017, 10:24

Thank you for such a fast responce!
I have currently connected via HDMI 2.0 but it only allows 60hz and in nvidia settings it doesn't allow to put it higher than that. In custom resolution if I write 120 or 144 hz monitor just turns off and displays blue screen and says "no signal" and after few sec it reverts back to 60hz
Also I put that only Benq monitor works (no duplicating screens).

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 May 2017, 10:38

You could try other mDP-to-DVI-D cables (and try again until you find one that works.) But you might probably want to contact BenQ's support for this, or see if they have a support forum.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Hardins

Post by Hardins » 31 May 2017, 10:39

I think problem is in that I spent 26 euro for that cable and i'm not fan to spend more just to try find cable.
EDIT: I have 2 cables (3 if I count that one which comes with monitor)
Is there really no chance of finding solution with those I have?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 31 May 2017, 11:52

Hardins wrote:Question. I connected my MSI GT72 Dominator Pro laptop to Benq XL2411 Zowie monitor via mini display port 1.2 to DVI-D cable, set refresh rate to 120hz and I get message "Incorrect cable. Please use DVI dual-link cable that came with your monitor"
I get ingame 120 fps, locked, and everything works smooth and nice, but how do I remove that error message witch doesn't go away from my right bottom corner?
If I swich to 144 hz refresh rate. Monitor starts acting strange by turning on and off in 5 sec interval. 120hz is stable.
I think Chief is correct here. "overclocked single link" operatoon instead of dual link operation.
I've seen this error when using a regular desktop computer with the Z series Benq, when using the "ToastyX Pixel Clock Patcher" and trying to use 85hz refresh rate (done via custom resolution in ToastyX CRU). The EXACT same error occurs when using the pixel clock patcher on the asus VG248QE, without needing a custom resolution (at 85hz) because 85hz is already a preset refresh rate. You get the same "incorrect cable" error. The reason the error occurs is, the single link DVI limits are extended past 165 mhz, so what happens is when you set 85hz for example, the monitor is expecting a dual link signal, but since the single link limits were extended, it gets an "85hz" single link signal, which causes the error. The workaround for that problem is to rename the pixel clock patcher to a -DL at the end of the name, so that it only patches the dual link limits, not the single link limits.

I think what is happening here with your laptop is, you're using mini displayport, at 120hz, and the Benq does not have a displayport or mini DP connector. So you use the adapter, and then you wind up getting a single link 120hz setting instead of dual link. This could be either a problem with the cable you have, the laptop's mini DP connector, or the Nvidia drivers. The only way to know is to actually find a desktop Nvidia GPU and use the adapter there and see if you get the same error. If you don't, it's some issue with the laptop's output. If you do, then you know it's the cable (or a firmware issue with the monitor).

Using a mini DP to DP cable with a Benq which has a displayport connector avoids this issue. This is why I suggested to many people to get a monitor which has a DP connector, to avoid issues like this. DVI is extremely old now.

Hardins

Post by Hardins » 31 May 2017, 12:52

Can you suggest some actual cabel? I suppose I will buy new one! My laptop output is minidisplay port and hdmi, and monitors is hdmi and dvi-d and "the old one" (forgot the name)