Blurred/pixelated textures while on desktop

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
McHound

Blurred/pixelated textures while on desktop

Post by McHound » 12 Jul 2017, 02:03

Hey,
I just built a new computer, and I'm having a problem of blurred graphics while on desktop applications. Here's an example: http://imgur.com/a/O8Gie

This is a screencap, although you can see this much more clearly when there is some movement. It seems that fading to black colour causes all this.
Nothing like this happens while in game of Overwatch or League of Legends, for example.

Do you have any ideas?

I have tried lots of different colour settings and modes for the screen, and this problem can be seen on my 2nd screen also. I have installed drivers for the screen and the GPU. I also tried without the other screen connected, and still got the problem. BenQ screen is connected with DVI, 2nd screen with old hdmi.

Thanks!

Screen: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411
GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1070
MOBO: MSI Gaming M5
CPU: Intel i7-7700K

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Blurred/pixelated textures while on desktop

Post by RealNC » 12 Jul 2017, 07:20

The image you posted is 475x336. It's impossible to see anything relevant on that.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

McHound

Post by McHound » 12 Jul 2017, 09:18

well, here is the whole window: http://imgur.com/a/bXcxc
You can see those blurred squares all over the top right and bottom left corners right?
This is a youtube vid of that login screen animation, which plays perfectly fine on my phone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL2EFKYLD9o
I see the same effect on that video, when i inspect it on my pc, tho.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Jul 2017, 12:14

To me it looks like you're using a resolution of 1600x900, but your monitor is a 1920x1080 panel. Of course it's going to look blurry. You need to use 1920x1080 to get a sharp image.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jul 2017, 11:38

Another theory:

DPI scaling.

If you're already using 1920x1080 but it's still blurry....

Many apps (including photo viewers) don't scale properly. Set your DPI scaling to 100% and this problem will solve itself. Your desktop icons and taskbar will be smaller but your apps will look better. Older versions of web browsers and Steam even had problems with DPI scaling, making text blurry in them despite correctly configured resolution.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!