I don't think my desired monitor exist.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TheNicOfTime

Re: I don't think my desired monitor exist.

Post by TheNicOfTime » 16 Aug 2017, 13:10

I appreciate the offer but I would rather just get it from amazon since I am likely going to be overly picky about the performance and would like to be able to return it easily if I need to.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 16 Aug 2017, 13:11

TheNicOfTime wrote:ah ok it seems like the only benefit of IPS is better colors and a lighter wallet.
Also better contrast, better viewing angles, and deeper black level. There's no ghosting issues (my IPS has less ghosting than my TN.) Also, IPS does not suffer from gamma shift or color shift.

However, there's IPS glow. It replaces gamma and color shift. Which is the lesser evil is subjective.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

darzo

Post by darzo » 16 Aug 2017, 13:14

I'd accept a return but definitely understand. No problem. Unless you get one with a defect I don't think you'll have a problem.

As for IPS and ghosting due to the response time, the chief guy here seems to think IPS monitors at higher refresh rates are not a good idea. He can weigh in on that.

TheNicOfTime

Post by TheNicOfTime » 16 Aug 2017, 13:16

hmmm then its sounding like i just got a bad monitor then which is unfortunate. I do hope the next monitor I get( im leaning toward the pg278qr) is better about the ghosting.

darzo

Post by darzo » 16 Aug 2017, 13:19

The monitor you got has the same value for response time, 4 ms, as IPS monitors. It was a TN panel too which makes it obsolete. What you get with newer TN models is a minimal response time of 1 ms, or how quickly pixels transition to other colors I think or it's something like from gray to white to gray (not an expert). The response time is what is identified as creating ghosting or trailing artifacts is my understanding.

darzo

Post by darzo » 16 Aug 2017, 16:04

I see from the other thread now that apparently your monitor was a VA panel rather than TN or IPS and that makes blurring and ghosting more likely apparently. Most popular choices now are TN or IPS, with TN monitors having the least problems of the sort. The ultrawide 1440 monitors at 200hz will apparently be VA, which seems strange. They aren't out yet.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Aug 2017, 17:26

Ignoring other advantages (response), VA definitely has its pros (great contrast) that makes it better than TN but they do hit limits sooner when it comes to motion clarity at high Hz compared to TN.

We do acknowledge the different advantages of VA, TN and IPS -- some people are more sensitive to viewing angle, or color, or motion blur, or contrast, or other monitor attribute. What it means is a person who finds CRT motion clarity more important than IPS PhotoShop colors, might end up preferring a good strobed TN monitor (without excessive strobe crosstalk).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

open

Post by open » 17 Aug 2017, 10:34

You listed the things you want but i still want to get a better idea. It sounds like your top priority is response time and motion blur. I got the pg258q because tft central measured pretty darn good response times and input lag and it does 240hz gsync.

If you want a 27 inch ips for color quality and viewing angles the xb270hu has 4ms response time but on overdrive normal its wose case response is 6.9 and average is 5.5. This is very good for average response on an ips its only a ms or two behind the best tn pannels. Tn pannels often have 1ms for the best case but for example they meausred mine to have 2.9ms average and 8ms worst case so this brings it closer to the xb270hu. The xb270hu monitor has 144hz and gsync.

If you want take a look at tftcentral and find one that you can confirm has good response times. Also i think there are some discounts on the blurbusters monitor list links.