144Hz in windows/games but stuck on 60Hz in Chrome

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
RonsonPL

144Hz in windows/games but stuck on 60Hz in Chrome

Post by RonsonPL » 18 Aug 2017, 12:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Edited Update:
See HOWTO: Fix "TestUFO Stuck at 60Hz" FAQ
Hi

I'm not new to this, I tried all the obvious steps.
My friend bought Benq 2411 and it's 120Hz in windows, 120Hz in games and 120Hz in monitor's "current resolution" menu.
But Chrome is stuck at 60. Other browsers behave the same way.

Windows 10. Can it be the issue?

I tried:
- installing monitor drivers
- restarting the PC
- verifying it's all good by checking if Strobe Utility works. All seems fine and yet.. 60Hz.

PS. Does anyone know if new 2411 model allows to disable double-strobe to use single strobe modes at 60-99Hz? I had to flash new firmware to my XL2411Z, but this was a few years ago. Also, anyone knows if this new 2411 supports 3D vision or not?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 144Hz in windows/games but stuck on 60Hz in Chrome

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Aug 2017, 12:49

Try this:

Disable multimonitor.

Browser Refresh is often locked to refresh rate of the lowest-Hz monitor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 18 Aug 2017, 12:56

Thank you, but I asked him about it and he uses 1 monitor. And no adapters. Proper DVI. sorry I forgot to mention that.

BTW. Chief! Any plans to test motion clarity/res in VR HMDs ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Aug 2017, 13:18

RonsonPL wrote:Thank you, but I asked him about it and he uses 1 monitor. And no adapters. Proper DVI. sorry I forgot to mention that.
Hmmmm.
What does chrome://gpu say? Everything accelerated?
Also, can he force GPU acceleration in chrome://flags ?
And did he install any registry tweaks? Many will hurt web browsers.
RonsonPL wrote:BTW. Chief! Any plans to test motion clarity/res in VR HMDs ?
Eventually, yes. (After 2017)

Our system is HMD ready. Depends on our budget & whether we can obtain HMD loaners (versus having to buy them all outright).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 18 Aug 2017, 13:47

No registry tweaks were applied. But I mean none - maybe there should be some? I don't know Win10. I still sit on W7.
I told him to try other browsers, cause for me it works iven in Opera, but still 60 in those for him, so it won't be GPU acceleration issue.
We'll continue to fight with this tomorrow.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Aug 2017, 14:27

RonsonPL wrote:No registry tweaks were applied. But I mean none - maybe there should be some? I don't know Win10. I still sit on W7.
I told him to try other browsers, cause for me it works iven in Opera, but still 60 in those for him, so it won't be GPU acceleration issue.
We'll continue to fight with this tomorrow.
90 percent of the time, in chrome://gpu -- the browser shows one flagged setting that explains why it doesnt work. Can you screenshot or copy-paste chrome://gpu ?

I want to fix this with you, so I can help others. Thanks!

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 18 Aug 2017, 19:06

I don't think it will be it, if my friend has same GPU as I do,he probably didn't switch it ever, and I didn't have to switch it for anything either. Pluse the fact that two browsers behave the same. I've got a feeling it will be Win10 related.
He lives in different timezone, so I'll talk to him tomorrow.

I very much appreciate your help. I want to show my friend what it is like to see the real difference betweeny crappy blurred image vs. strobed, low persistence goodness. As you surely know, it's hard to understand for newcomers, when they don't have wide knowledge about stuff related to this, so they play some games and in majority, conclude it's not an important feature. Moving photo is a thing every new low persistence display owner should check out the very same day the monitor arrived. Especially if it's a person who mostly plays FPS online games (mouse controlled, so no chance for perfect motion clarity unless someone goes through threads about it on this forum, and I don't know if it's comparabel even then (500Hz mouse here :/ ).
So by helping me here, you help me help someone else. Evengelize new people. Spread the word about 120Hz/LP :D

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 23 Aug 2017, 18:11

OK, so turned out my friend provided me a misleading answer to "do you see 144Hz under "current resolution" on your monitor menu.
He had 60Hz in Windows. 144Hz only in games.

Sorry I wasted your time, Chief.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Aug 2017, 20:20

That's OK!

Glad you got it working.

Bet that scrolling & window dragging now looks much smoother :)

P.S. I've created a TestUFO "Stuck At 60Hz" FAQ