ZOWIE XL2546

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
pupo

Re: ZOWIE XL2546

Post by pupo » 27 Aug 2017, 06:43

Chief Blur Buster wrote:AFAIK, that's VA, right? VA is even slower than both IPS and TN.
I don't think so Chief ! VA technology is the mid way through TN and IPS technology, no?
I have two monitors ...
XL2540 for fast FPS gaming and the new Samsung C34F791 Quantum Dot Display (100hz native - 3440*1440 - VA display - 4ms) for MMO, MOBA, third person and sym games.
In one word ... it is a MONSTER.
I think is the best ultrawide monitor you can buy now... (I had IPS monitors too)
It have BEAUTIFUL colors (merit of Quantum Dot technology) and a contrast ratio that IPS monitor can only dream (the good of the VA technology).
Another very important mention about Backlight Bleeding ... the BEST I ever see.
Check this video ... compared to IPS 100hz monitor. https://youtu.be/0VdpN5V1Bok and https://youtu.be/nyp0rkgTv9U and https://youtu.be/nwL2IDWw9SA
Little bit slow input lag but for that type of games is OK!
Now I think VA technology will got a nice future.... (Already announced ultrawide displays 200hz , quantum dot and HDR , like Asus PG35VQ, will be VA all)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Sep 2017, 18:03

pupo wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:AFAIK, that's VA, right? VA is even slower than both IPS and TN.
I don't think so Chief ! VA technology is the mid way through TN and IPS technology, no?
The best VA monitors can outperform slower IPS monitors in pixel response speed. One big challenge is pixel-transition consistency among all possible color pairs -- the pixel transitions in the dim greyscale can be quite slow compared to full blacks and brighter colors.

There's a funny thing: In many situations, it ends up that the fastest VA color is usually faster than IPS....but the slowest VA color is usually slower than IPS. The pixel response speed symmetry is historically (in the past) less consistent with VA.

Also, remember that pixel response can come in MPRT (Moving Picture Response Time) versus GtG (Grey to Grey). The use of motion-blur-reducing strobe backlights such as ULMB can make for very good MPRT numbers far less than GtG numbers, for example (high speed video). For the purposes of my writings, I was referring to GtG which can be relevant to things like extra ghosting or extra strobe crosstalk during dimmer colors.

There are certainly very good VA panels, but they've generally had issues with pixel response consistency (for all 256x256 transition combinations) throughout the whole color spectum. Which conversely means input lag of dimmer scenes (darkest dungeons) can be different from input lag of brighter scenes (outdoor scenery). Pixel response consistency is sometimes as important as pixel response speed when it comes to a lot of things including strobe backlights (much more amplified strobe crosstalk for certain color shades during ULMB / MBR modesx). Also, most VA panels have tended to not be realtime-scanout (ala "Instant Mode") like TN panels, where the pixels are being refreshed onto the screen while the pixels come in the input.

That said, I've seen some really, really good VA panels. They definitely have their place, great colors, great contrast ratio, and very enjoyable for a lot of genre of games.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pupo

Post by pupo » 07 Sep 2017, 05:35

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
pupo wrote:
The best VA monitors can outperform slower IPS monitors in pixel response speed. One big challenge is pixel-transition consistency among all possible color pairs -- the pixel transitions in the dim greyscale can be quite slow compared to full blacks and brighter colors.

There's a funny thing: In many situations, it ends up that the fastest VA color is usually faster than IPS....but the slowest VA color is usually slower than IPS. The pixel response speed symmetry is historically (in the past) less consistent with VA.

Also, remember that pixel response can come in MPRT (Moving Picture Response Time) versus GtG (Grey to Grey). The use of motion-blur-reducing strobe backlights such as ULMB can make for very good MPRT numbers far less than GtG numbers, for example (high speed video). For the purposes of my writings, I was referring to GtG which can be relevant to things like extra ghosting or extra strobe crosstalk during dimmer colors.

There are certainly very good VA panels, but they've generally had issues with pixel response consistency (for all 256x256 transition combinations) throughout the whole color spectum. Which conversely means input lag of dimmer scenes (darkest dungeons) can be different from input lag of brighter scenes (outdoor scenery). Pixel response consistency is sometimes as important as pixel response speed when it comes to a lot of things including strobe backlights (much more amplified strobe crosstalk for certain color shades during ULMB / MBR modesx). Also, most VA panels have tended to not be realtime-scanout (ala "Instant Mode") like TN panels, where the pixels are being refreshed onto the screen while the pixels come in the input.

That said, I've seen some really, really good VA panels. They definitely have their place, great colors, great contrast ratio, and very enjoyable for a lot of genre of games.
As usual, high technical level replies Chief :D
Do you think there are hardware differences from XL2540 to XL2546 ???
Peoples do only phones and console teardown :|

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Sep 2017, 10:04

We'd very much love to! Today, purchasing both an XL2540 and XL2546 just only for a comparison is a very expensive undertaking that doesn't pass the "bean-counter" test yet -- but we're keeping an eye on possible opportunities (loaners). And we're working our way towards an eventual workflow that allows us to review more monitors faster.

Both XL2540 and XL2546 are almost identical functionally, but XL2546 comes with apparently brighter motion blur reduction mode (brighter strobing with ~330 nits). This is probably done by better backlight driving electronics, combined with good precision boost-voltaging the LED strobe flashes. AFAIK, no reviewer has (currently) done a strobe crosstalk comparison test between the XL2540 and XL2546.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pupo

Post by pupo » 08 Sep 2017, 04:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:We'd very much love to! Today, purchasing both an XL2540 and XL2546 just only for a comparison ...

pupo

Post by pupo » 02 Oct 2017, 08:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:We'd very much love to! Today, purchasing both an XL2540 and XL2546 just only for a comparison is a very expensive undertaking that doesn't pass the "bean-counter" test yet -- but we're keeping an eye on possible opportunities (loaners). And we're working our way towards an eventual workflow that allows us to review more monitors faster.

Both XL2540 and XL2546 are almost identical functionally, but XL2546 comes with apparently brighter motion blur reduction mode (brighter strobing with ~330 nits). This is probably done by better backlight driving electronics, combined with good precision boost-voltaging the LED strobe flashes. AFAIK, no reviewer has (currently) done a strobe crosstalk comparison test between the XL2540 and XL2546.
Chief can you estimate the input lag difference with DyAC ON or OFF ?