XL2420Z V2 FIRMWARE on Amazon.com! [CONFIRMED]

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
TwentyFoe

XL2420Z V2 FIRMWARE on Amazon.com! [CONFIRMED]

Post by TwentyFoe » 14 May 2014, 14:18

So guys, I've known this for about 3 weeks now, but only now was I able to place my order, and I wanted to share this wonderful information with you, seeing how this is a great place for monitor information (especially thanks to the Chief, who's helped me a lot as well)

I'll go through the entire experience so that you will be able to see that it is indeed confirmed and not some rumor.

Seeing how we were always uncertain of the firmware received when ordering this monitor, I was wondering, why not just contact them and ask? [talking about Amazon US now]
And so I did.
The live chat representative could not answer this question, saying he was clueless, and so he forwarded my inquiry to the Computer Sales team, who later on replied via this awesome mail, stating:

I was extremely glad, seeing how prior to knowing that, my only alternative to buying a V1 and manually upgrading it to V2, was purchasing the monitor directly from BENQ.com, which does not deliver worldwide, and so I'd be forced to use some service site we have in my country that allows you to purchase from USA sites through them, but seeing how shipment by air is roughly 80$ more expensive than shipment through the sea, I'd be forced to take this route, and wait ~2 months before finally receiving the monitor, and it would STILL cost me a little more than it just cost me @Amazon.com!!!

Yesterday I was finally able to place my order, and I wanted to double check and make sure that the monitor I'll be receiving will indeed have the V2 firmware, and so I went through the same process; contacted live chat - forwarded my question, and here is the answer I just received:

Hope you guys will find this information useful ^_^

NOTE:
I haven't included the XL2411Z because, as you can see, I haven't asked about that. But if you aim for this version - it's worth asking! Odds are this will be V2 as well.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2420Z V2 FIRMWARE on Amazon.com! [CONFIRMED]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 May 2014, 14:25

Good news to hear!

For those reading, if you wish, you can support the operation of Blur Busters by ordering through these links:
BENQ XL2411Z on Amazon (confirmed V2) or BENQ.com (confirmed V2)
BENQ XL2420Z on Amazon (confirmed V2) or BENQ.com (confirmed V2)
BENQ XL2720Z on Amazon (confirmed V2) or BENQ.com (confirmed V2)

I can also confirm Amazon Canada is now consistently V2 firmware too for the XL2411Z at least.
And I am glad that Amazon is backing a V2 guarantee with exchange or money back!

When you get your monitor, verify V2 by running the Blur Busters Strobe Utility.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 14 May 2014, 15:01

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Good news to hear!

For those reading, if you wish, you can support the operation of Blur Busters by ordering through these Amazon links:
BenQ XL2420Z on Amazon
Aw dude, you should have given me that link when weeks ago, when I said I'd be buying this for sure D:

Sakurai

Post by Sakurai » 20 May 2014, 12:36

Hi :) for anyone interested: the xl2420z i just bought from the european benq store ( http://shop.benq.eu/store/benqeu/en_GB/home ) is upgraded to V2. Thanks blurbusters for the nice app!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 May 2014, 15:59

Sakurai wrote:Thanks blurbusters for the nice app!
You're welcome!

Glad that BENQ Europe is also consistently V2, as is Amazon USA, Amazon Canada, and BENQ USA.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hatenames

Post by hatenames » 23 May 2014, 15:26

Quick question about V2 Firmware. The only thing it does is allow third party utilities to configure it? So unless you use something like Blur Busters, V2 doesn't do anything at all for you? Sorry if this has been asked, looked everywhere for a direct answer.

http://gaming.benq.com/media/news/revie ... ification/

Also a quick side question if you don't mind. The default BenQ Motion Blur can cause stutter if FPS isn't above 300 or if Hz and FPS aren't sync'd/cap'd together?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 May 2014, 21:26

hatenames wrote:Quick question about V2 Firmware. The only thing it does is allow third party utilities to configure it? So unless you use something like Blur Busters, V2 doesn't do anything at all for you? Sorry if this has been asked, looked everywhere for a direct answer.
Correct. V1 and V2 both have the crosstalk artifact. Those of us at Blur Busters believe that BENQ understates this issue for the Blur Busters audience, as they calibrated for low input lag (important for competition gamers), rather than calibrated for motion picture quality (important for gamers that would like to see less LCD ghosting during strobe mode). V2 adds new hidden adjustments (only accessible in Service Menu) that are easily adjustable via Blur Busters Strobe Utility.

Here is a more recent BENQ press release, which is the press release that I refer to.

Also a quick side question if you don't mind. The default BenQ Motion Blur can cause stutter if FPS isn't above 300 or if Hz and FPS aren't sync'd/cap'd together?[/quote]

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 May 2014, 21:26

hatenames wrote:Quick question about V2 Firmware. The only thing it does is allow third party utilities to configure it? So unless you use something like Blur Busters, V2 doesn't do anything at all for you? Sorry if this has been asked, looked everywhere for a direct answer.
Correct. V1 and V2 both have the crosstalk artifact. Those of us at Blur Busters believe that BENQ understates this issue for the Blur Busters audience, as they calibrated for low input lag (important for competition gamers), rather than calibrated for motion picture quality (important for gamers that would like to see less LCD ghosting during strobe mode). V2 adds new hidden adjustments (only accessible in Service Menu) that are easily adjustable via Blur Busters Strobe Utility.

Here is a more recent BENQ press release, which is the press release that I refer people to.
hatenames wrote:The default BenQ Motion Blur can cause stutter if FPS isn't above 300 or if Hz and FPS aren't sync'd/cap'd together?
It's not that black and white, but a contiuum (curve) with two general rules of thumbs of low stutter moments.

Microstutter during VSYNC OFF always exists at all framerates, to a gradual diminishing point of returns.
(1) framerates darn nearly matching refresh rate, or
(2) framerate far exceeding refresh rate. Microstutters at 300fps VSYNC OFF is half as jittery as microstutters at 150fps, since the step between frames are only half as much. And Microstutter at 600fps VSYNC OFF is only half again as jittery as microstutters at 300fps. Microstutters are the harmonic frequencies of framerate frequency beating with refreshrate frequency.

This unsynchronized-framerate behavior (e.g. VSYNC OFF, or triple buffering) is independent of strobing. It is the same with LCDs, CRTs, with plasmas, or with any display. However, motion blur reduction makes stutters easier to see, because stutters are no longer hidden by motion blur. So these rules of thumb becomes even more important for CRTs, LightBoost, and other strobed/impulse-driven displays.

hatenames

Post by hatenames » 30 May 2014, 19:23

Thanks again for replying. Sorry to bump this up, totally forgot to reply last week. I wanted to confirm that the monitor I got from Amazon was a V2. I was skeptical because the manuf. date was Feb 2014, and I heard the firmware update was in March, so thought I got unlucky, but it did indeed have V2 firmware. Thanks again for all your help and I wish everyone else all the best

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jun 2014, 01:12

hatenames wrote:Thanks again for replying. Sorry to bump this up, totally forgot to reply last week. I wanted to confirm that the monitor I got from Amazon was a V2. I was skeptical because the manuf. date was Feb 2014, and I heard the firmware update was in March, so thought I got unlucky, but it did indeed have V2 firmware. Thanks again for all your help and I wish everyone else all the best
Glad to hear!

As far as I know, BENQ opened at least some boxes and upgraded unshipped monitors, and resealing the boxes. Only the monitors stored in warehouses away from BENQ didn't get upgraded. Monitors sold in Amazon USA/Canada are fulfilled by Amazon which gets their supply directly from BENQ.