HALL OF SHAME: List of games with locked frame rates (60fps)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Kaede

Re: HALL OF SHAME: List of games with locked frame rates (60

Post by Kaede » 02 Jun 2014, 14:37

Some more

30fps locked:
Skydrift
Binding of Isaac, the

60fps locked:
Super Hexagon (logic is tied to display rate, confirmed by the dev)

---

I think having another list for "high framerate" games would be nice, for two reasons:
- It would be an error to automagically assume that any game which is not on the current "hall of shame" list is 120fps. After all, most
- Games have different framerate caps. Some will be able to run at 120fps only, some will run at arbitrary higher framerates.
Here is my contribution for now:
- Ms. Splosion Man (framerate cap above 120fps)
- Intake (consider this has no framerate cap, FRAPS reports framerates over 300fps)

knotted

Post by knotted » 12 Jun 2014, 07:04

Capcom just announced that Dead Rising 3 for the PC would be capped at 30 FPS. Ouch!

whitestar

Post by whitestar » 17 Jun 2014, 10:10

knotted wrote:Capcom just announced that Dead Rising 3 for the PC would be capped at 30 FPS. Ouch!
What the...!?! That is just unacceptable!

trey31

Post by trey31 » 17 Jul 2014, 10:50

whitestar wrote:
knotted wrote:Capcom just announced that Dead Rising 3 for the PC would be capped at 30 FPS. Ouch!
What the...!?! That is just unacceptable!
It is. But Capcom, Ubi, EA, 2K, Rockstar, and other developers are steadily losing PC sales consistently, and are mistakenly attributing those decreasing figures to piracy, when in actuality it is much more likely that gamers are passing due to:

-frame rate caps

-resolution/rendering caps

-no more playable demos (if PC Gamer could send a CD disc with 20+ demos on it to every subscriber in 1996 and still make a profit, there is NO REASON AT ALL FOR AAA DEVS TO NOT RELEASE PLAYABLE DEMOS IN 2014) I honestly believe releasing demos again would decrease piracy by itself at least twofold, if not more. I have read enough comments directly from pirates along the lines of "game sucks. 5 minutes in and I deleted." to wholeheartedly believe this. That and nothing pisses me off more than pre-ordering a game at or above full-price that received great hands-on reviews/previews, only to delete it after 20 minutes and fire up a decade old game I've finished 20+ times before instead. :(

-AA issues or lack of support

-360 controller requirements for some games

-no controller support at all for other games

-awful buggy PC ports that run terribly (finger directly pointed at Rockstar as the most loathful offender...)

-releases that require 4+ GB patches that don't seem to fix all of the bugs and sometimes even create new ones

-no local multiplayer (I've bought about 20 games now that have multi-controller support for local multiplayer, for no good reason other than their ability to allow 2 to 4+ people to play a game in the same room on the same screen at the same time. What a novel concept that has only been around for 42 years...)

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 17 Jul 2014, 11:02

trey31 wrote:-awful buggy PC ports that run terribly (finger directly pointed at Rockstar as the most loathful offender...)
I'm willing to bet that this is the primary reason for any possible PC sales decline. Despite how we feel, the vast majority of PC gamers don't care about things like AA and frame rate caps.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 17 Jul 2014, 15:32

Lol @ trey31, you speak the truth dude, and preach it from the hill tops, in fact

Sent from dumphone (pls. excuse typos and dumbness)

Cooknn

Post by Cooknn » 22 Jul 2014, 13:00

Hey, guys. Educate me please. My primary title is Assetto Corsa which has unrestricted frame rate, but requires that you select your resolution/refresh rate in the game. My forthcoming G-Sync mod will override whatever the game thinks my refresh rate is, correct? My frame rate fluctuates a lot, but averages around 120 FPS with most of the eye candy on.
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz • 2 * ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II • Asus VG248QE Monitor w/ G-SYNC • Corsair Obsidian 450D Case • Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 Mobo • Corsair H100i CPU Cooler • 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro SDRAM • Windows 8.1 64-bit

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 22 Jul 2014, 13:09

Cooknn wrote:Hey, guys. Educate me please. My primary title is Assetto Corsa which has unrestricted frame rate, but requires that you select your resolution/refresh rate in the game. My forthcoming G-Sync mod will override whatever the game thinks my refresh rate is, correct? My frame rate fluctuates a lot, but averages around 120 FPS with most of the eye candy on.
While G-sync will allow the actual refresh rate to fluctuate, what the game sets still determines the MAXIMUM refresh rate that G-sync can use. I have run into quite a few games that will only use 60 Hz and unfortunately the refresh rate setting in the nVidia control panel does nothing.
Last edited by nimbulan on 22 Jul 2014, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

Cooknn

Post by Cooknn » 22 Jul 2014, 13:47

Lucky for me it allows up to 144Hz. Thanks for your reply, nimbulan.
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz • 2 * ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II • Asus VG248QE Monitor w/ G-SYNC • Corsair Obsidian 450D Case • Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 Mobo • Corsair H100i CPU Cooler • 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro SDRAM • Windows 8.1 64-bit

sefear

Post by sefear » 13 Aug 2014, 09:33

Haste wrote:Need For Speed Rivals

- Date: November 15, 2013 (North America)
- Details: Capped at 30hz; no real fix. It can be re-capped to 60hz, but causes slo-mo glitches when frames drop to 59 or less. To see it uncapped at 120hz, click Link 1.
-Link 1: un-capped MAYHEM!
-Link 2: BlurBusters thread discussing the 30fps cap
-Link 3: Game-Debate
Information provided by trey31
That's very interesting. This is very similar to what EA did to Command & Conquer Generals back in 2003. Running the game at higher FPS than intended causes the game speed to change and become unplayable. Is there any known fix to this? There might be other games out there that display this (pun unintended).