Micro stutters in old games vs. overkill PC

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
FTW900

Re: Micro stutters in old games vs. overkill PC

Post by FTW900 » 14 Jan 2024, 16:53

What are the best places to ask for a technical advice on that topic? Some specific reddit I dunno?

yamaci1775

Post by yamaci1775 » 14 Jan 2024, 18:29

If you have an NVIDIA GPU try setting the game's power management mode in nvidia control panel to maximum performance (don't do it globally, just do it for the specific game you're having trouble with)

Certain old games do not like the modern downclocking behavior new GPUs have.

FTW900

Post by FTW900 » 15 Jan 2024, 00:02

yamaci1775 wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 18:29
If you have an NVIDIA GPU try setting the game's power management mode in nvidia control panel to maximum performance (don't do it globally, just do it for the specific game you're having trouble with)

Certain old games do not like the modern downclocking behavior new GPUs have.
Thanks. Already tried that too. Even tried to lock frequency to 1500Mhz - to no avail. :(

This is so weird to me and I have ran out of ideas how to test and fix this crap. First time in my life I see anything like it

sherifmagdy32

Post by sherifmagdy32 » 15 Jan 2024, 05:44

Highly recommend giving this guide a go

https://github.com/amitxv/PC-Tuning

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 15 Jan 2024, 09:31

FTW900 wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 00:02
This is so weird to me and I have ran out of ideas how to test and fix this crap. First time in my life I see anything like it
As I've already shared, stutter is more "normal" than not, even for legacy games, else there wouldn't be thread after thread across the internet with people complaining about buying/building a gajillion dollar PC, plugging it in with a clean install, and experiencing stutter immediately with no "solution" in sight after trying nearly everything known to man.

That said, if the stutter that's bothering you is primarily occurring in older Source games, said games relied mostly on single-threaded CPU operation and speeds (older Source games barely utilize modern GPUs), with the in-game "Multicore Rendering" option being limited in its effectiveness; it may interact differently depending on the CPU. You could experiment with toggling that setting, if you haven't already.

Beyond that, I have nothing left to add on your particular issue.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

FTW900

Post by FTW900 » 18 Jan 2024, 08:02

sherifmagdy32 wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 05:44
Highly recommend giving this guide a go

https://github.com/amitxv/PC-Tuning
Thank you, will definitely explore that next day I'm free and report back too!

FTW900

Post by FTW900 » 18 Jan 2024, 08:11

jorimt wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 09:31
FTW900 wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 00:02
As I've already shared, stutter is more "normal" than not, even for legacy games, else there wouldn't be thread after thread across the internet with people complaining about buying/building a gajillion dollar PC, plugging it in with a clean install, and experiencing stutter immediately with no "solution" in sight after trying nearly everything known to man.

That said, if the stutter that's bothering you is primarily occurring in older Source games, said games relied mostly on single-threaded CPU operation and speeds (older Source games barely utilize modern GPUs), with the in-game "Multicore Rendering" option being limited in its effectiveness; it may interact differently depending on the CPU. You could experiment with toggling that setting, if you haven't already.

Beyond that, I have nothing left to add on your particular issue.
Yes, but you said you don't have any, at least during HL2 chapter.
I am asking my friend now with similar setup to test this level too; pretty sure he won't have any.
I truly believe this is not a regular stutter that all people may encounter (or may not) from time to time.
In Left4Dead I get them all the time even at 300+ or 60 locked fps, just played HL2 a little and I also get them basically everywhere just with the random intensity even when the whole level is preloaded (i.e. should be NO stutters whatsoever, since there is nothing to do for the most part). Also installed Portal and Postal 2, Alan Wake (all different engines than source) - same story.

Every single game stutters at least once a minute.

It WASN'T an issue even on my old system, I guarantee that.
I can tell where this is abnormal behavior, I'm not saying that shader compilation stutter or loading/saving, some weird areas on the map are the things I'm trying to unreasonably avoid.
I am also not trying to emulate a PS5 title at max settings to run at 300+ fps or something while expecting to see dead-flat frame time graph.
I saw how in other videos when people benchmark stuff they have no such issues unlike mine PC which is at least 2 times faster in every single component.
I won't stop until I fix this issue, one way or another.
I just need a way to find what exactly causes that clearly abnormal behavior.
This is ridiculous once again--I'm not asking anything beyond what this PC should be capable of.
Hell, not even this but a PC from 00's or 2010's.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 18 Jan 2024, 09:38

FTW900 wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 08:11
Yes, but you said you don't have any, at least during HL2 chapter.
Not in that particular two minute section you asked us to test, no, but only in the vanilla version (again, the update version did stutter for me in the level opening).
FTW900 wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 08:11
This is ridiculous once again--I'm not asking anything beyond what this PC should be capable of.
Hell, not even this but a PC from 00's or 2010's.
Heh, the PC I had when HL2 released would have run it at such a low average framerate, I wouldn't have been able to notice the stutter.

First time I was able to play HL2 at an acceptable framerate was in its Orange Box re-release on Xbox 360, and that was three years after the original PC release and it only ran at 720p/30 FPS; you must have had a beast of a PC for these older games at the time of their release to not remember any performance issues.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

dizelcs

Post by dizelcs » 18 Jan 2024, 11:27

I own same CPU and similar setup and was having stutters on older versions of bios when tpm and intel ptt was enabled. Maybe update bios or disable those security features like tpm and ptt if you are on Windows 10. Or maybe kaspersky av is interfering with HL2 game files, so test also with paused protection on kav.

FTW900

Post by FTW900 » 19 Jan 2024, 06:18

dizelcs wrote:
18 Jan 2024, 11:27
I own same CPU and similar setup and was having stutters on older versions of bios when tpm and intel ptt was enabled. Maybe update bios or disable those security features like tpm and ptt if you are on Windows 10. Or maybe kaspersky av is interfering with HL2 game files, so test also with paused protection on kav.
Thank you, I see that you even registered yesterday just to share the info! :roll:
I have latest bios installed. And a week or so ago I went as far as to uninstall KAV - sadly, that didn't help.
Will report back after I disable TPM/PTT.