Windows 10 Optimisation Guide

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Coldplayer
Posts: 31
Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 08:19

Windows 10 Optimisation Guide

Post by Coldplayer » 15 May 2024, 09:41

So I've had enough of windows 11 and going back to 10. Is there a decent optimisation guide to follow as I know every few months Microsoft add alot of bloatware etc and new settings. Looking for an advanced guide but also nothing with all these placebo reg tweaks or anything like that.

Cheers

Hyote
Posts: 48
Joined: 09 Jan 2024, 18:08

Re: Windows 10 Optimisation Guide

Post by Hyote » 15 May 2024, 10:10

calypto dot us
Also do not disregard "placebo" regedits here. I use some of them and they do have their functionalities.

Coldplayer
Posts: 31
Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 08:19

Re: Windows 10 Optimisation Guide

Post by Coldplayer » 15 May 2024, 10:28

Which of those regs do you say actually work, i feel like many of them at best do nothing and at worst probably hinder hit reg.

Hyote
Posts: 48
Joined: 09 Jan 2024, 18:08

Re: Windows 10 Optimisation Guide

Post by Hyote » 15 May 2024, 10:50

Edited after checking through some settings.
prevent the Software Protection service attempting to register a restart every 30s
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform" /v "InactivityShutdownDelay" /t REG_DWORD /d "4294967295" /f

zero out all the values for SmoothMouseXCurve and SmoothMouseYCurve in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse, MouseSpeed 0 ; MouseHoverTime 0 ; new String value: MouseAccel ; MouseAccel_Max ; MouseAccel_Scale all of them to 0

replace YOURDISPLAY below and set the DWORD Scaling to 2 in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\YOURDISPLAY\00\00

this has been tested to give the best gaming performance and hitreg
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PriorityControl" /v "Win32PrioritySeparation" /t REG_DWORD /d "22" /f
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PriorityControl -> Win32PrioritySeparation decimal 22

lowering Mouse and KeyboardDataQueueSize because the default 100 is too high, try anything like 50, 25, 16 is usually as low as it goes
here are my values
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mouclass -> create new key called Parameters
new DWORD MouseDataQueueSize decimal 70
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdclass -> KeyboardDataQueueSize decimal 70

I consider these to be basic and tested.
Last edited by Hyote on 16 May 2024, 14:24, edited 3 times in total.

serenamannesh
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Jul 2023, 13:51

Re: Windows 10 Optimisation Guide

Post by serenamannesh » 15 May 2024, 10:58

Hyote wrote:
15 May 2024, 10:50
prevent the Software Protection service attempting to register a restart every 30s
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform" /v "InactivityShutdownDelay" /t REG_DWORD /d "4294967295" /f

delete SmoothMouseXCurve and SmoothMouseYCurve in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse, MouseSpeed 0 ; MouseHoverTime 0 ; new String value: MouseAccel ; MouseAccel_Max ; MouseAccel_Scale all of them to 0

replace YOURDISPLAY below and set the DWORD Scaling to 2 in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\YOURDISPLAY\00\00

this has been tested to give the best gaming performance and hitreg
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PriorityControl" /v "Win32PrioritySeparation" /t REG_DWORD /d "22" /f
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PriorityControl -> Win32PrioritySeparation decimal 22

lowering Mouse and KeyboardDataQueueSize because the default 100 is too high and even 50
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mouclass -> create new key called Parameters
new DWORD MouseDataQueueSize decimal 16
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdclass -> KeyboardDataQueueSize decimal 16
if you experience mouse cursor stuttering or your pc crashes, set it higher but I've seen most people run decimal 16 just fine

I consider these to be basic and tested.
Whenever I use win32priorityseparation for any value it appears to not work. But I know that the values SHOULD do something because I used them before on another computer and they worked just fine. What gives? Is there something in windows 11 that is preventing the registry option from working?

Hyote
Posts: 48
Joined: 09 Jan 2024, 18:08

Re: Windows 10 Optimisation Guide

Post by Hyote » 15 May 2024, 12:54

serenamannesh wrote:
15 May 2024, 10:58
Hyote wrote:
15 May 2024, 10:50
prevent the Software Protection service attempting to register a restart every 30s
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform" /v "InactivityShutdownDelay" /t REG_DWORD /d "4294967295" /f

delete SmoothMouseXCurve and SmoothMouseYCurve in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse, MouseSpeed 0 ; MouseHoverTime 0 ; new String value: MouseAccel ; MouseAccel_Max ; MouseAccel_Scale all of them to 0

replace YOURDISPLAY below and set the DWORD Scaling to 2 in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\YOURDISPLAY\00\00

this has been tested to give the best gaming performance and hitreg
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PriorityControl" /v "Win32PrioritySeparation" /t REG_DWORD /d "22" /f
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PriorityControl -> Win32PrioritySeparation decimal 22

lowering Mouse and KeyboardDataQueueSize because the default 100 is too high and even 50
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mouclass -> create new key called Parameters
new DWORD MouseDataQueueSize decimal 16
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdclass -> KeyboardDataQueueSize decimal 16
if you experience mouse cursor stuttering or your pc crashes, set it higher but I've seen most people run decimal 16 just fine

I consider these to be basic and tested.
Whenever I use win32priorityseparation for any value it appears to not work. But I know that the values SHOULD do something because I used them before on another computer and they worked just fine. What gives? Is there something in windows 11 that is preventing the registry option from working?
Absolutely no idea. I face some Windows anomalies but never met this one. In what way doesn't it work? Not making a difference or something else?

serenamannesh
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Jul 2023, 13:51

Re: Windows 10 Optimisation Guide

Post by serenamannesh » 15 May 2024, 19:51

Hyote wrote:
15 May 2024, 12:54
serenamannesh wrote:
15 May 2024, 10:58
Hyote wrote:
15 May 2024, 10:50
prevent the Software Protection service attempting to register a restart every 30s
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform" /v "InactivityShutdownDelay" /t REG_DWORD /d "4294967295" /f

delete SmoothMouseXCurve and SmoothMouseYCurve in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse, MouseSpeed 0 ; MouseHoverTime 0 ; new String value: MouseAccel ; MouseAccel_Max ; MouseAccel_Scale all of them to 0

replace YOURDISPLAY below and set the DWORD Scaling to 2 in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\YOURDISPLAY\00\00

this has been tested to give the best gaming performance and hitreg
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PriorityControl" /v "Win32PrioritySeparation" /t REG_DWORD /d "22" /f
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PriorityControl -> Win32PrioritySeparation decimal 22

lowering Mouse and KeyboardDataQueueSize because the default 100 is too high and even 50
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mouclass -> create new key called Parameters
new DWORD MouseDataQueueSize decimal 16
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdclass -> KeyboardDataQueueSize decimal 16
if you experience mouse cursor stuttering or your pc crashes, set it higher but I've seen most people run decimal 16 just fine

I consider these to be basic and tested.
Whenever I use win32priorityseparation for any value it appears to not work. But I know that the values SHOULD do something because I used them before on another computer and they worked just fine. What gives? Is there something in windows 11 that is preventing the registry option from working?
Absolutely no idea. I face some Windows anomalies but never met this one. In what way doesn't it work? Not making a difference or something else?
It doesn't make a difference. I have a hunch it might have something to do with Windows 11 itself. Because it used to work on Windows 10

Slender
Posts: 633
Joined: 25 Jan 2020, 17:55

Re: Windows 10 Optimisation Guide

Post by Slender » 15 May 2024, 20:03

Coldplayer wrote:
15 May 2024, 09:41
So I've had enough of windows 11 and going back to 10. Is there a decent optimisation guide to follow as I know every few months Microsoft add alot of bloatware etc and new settings. Looking for an advanced guide but also nothing with all these placebo reg tweaks or anything like that.

Cheers
install LTSC w10 21h2 with Revi-Config via ventoy usb installation.

Coldplayer
Posts: 31
Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 08:19

Re: Windows 10 Optimisation Guide

Post by Coldplayer » 16 May 2024, 03:25

delete SmoothMouseXCurve and SmoothMouseYCurve in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse, MouseSpeed 0 ; MouseHoverTime 0 ; new String value: MouseAccel ; MouseAccel_Max ; MouseAccel_Scale all of them to 0

Can you screenshot what this should look like?

bleya99
Posts: 12
Joined: 24 Aug 2023, 16:04

Re: Windows 10 Optimisation Guide

Post by bleya99 » 16 May 2024, 03:32

Hyote wrote:
15 May 2024, 10:50
prevent the Software Protection service attempting to register a restart every 30s
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform" /v "InactivityShutdownDelay" /t REG_DWORD /d "4294967295" /f

delete SmoothMouseXCurve and SmoothMouseYCurve in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse, MouseSpeed 0 ; MouseHoverTime 0 ; new String value: MouseAccel ; MouseAccel_Max ; MouseAccel_Scale all of them to 0

replace YOURDISPLAY below and set the DWORD Scaling to 2 in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\YOURDISPLAY\00\00

this has been tested to give the best gaming performance and hitreg
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PriorityControl" /v "Win32PrioritySeparation" /t REG_DWORD /d "22" /f
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PriorityControl -> Win32PrioritySeparation decimal 22

lowering Mouse and KeyboardDataQueueSize because the default 100 is too high and even 50
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mouclass -> create new key called Parameters
new DWORD MouseDataQueueSize decimal 16
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdclass -> KeyboardDataQueueSize decimal 16
if you experience mouse cursor stuttering or your pc crashes, set it higher but I've seen most people run decimal 16 just fine

I consider these to be basic and tested.
For this specific key, once you enter and replace the YOURDISPLAY below and set the DWORD Scaling to 2 in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\YOURDISPLAY\00\00

You can just press "F3" and find other keys, and change them all to 2 (which means No Scaling).

Post Reply