Fixed my frame skipping, input lag, mouse on ice issue after 5 years of utter agony

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
yngeng

Fixed my frame skipping, input lag, mouse on ice issue after 5 years of utter agony

Post by yngeng » 18 May 2024, 13:18

Alright i might actually have cracked the mouse skipping issue at least for me after 5 long years of struggle. Here is how i did it and what i believe the issue is, as least for me.

First the prerequisite on the programs you should download are as follows:

DDU
device cleanup (which you can get from majorgeeks)
kurtis2221 /win10_dwm_tool and nebuloss/killer (might be optional), the last two apps are acquired from github, both either needs setup or unzip first before you get the apps.

1.First you need to use ddu to uninstall the sound drivers (for me its realtek audio drivers) and nvidia gpu, in that order.
2. (this is the tricky bit but also very important if you do this wrong you might break your windows installation and might have to do a complete reinstall), open device cleanup, win_10_dwm_tool, and killer as administrator and keep them all opened . select killer click on suspend (this will turn off dwm temporarily and your screen will either look strange with some of the opened application showing and half it being a black screen or a black screen entirely dont worry, the next step will get this sorted as long as you have the other dwm tool opened). Alternatively use the win10_dwm_tool as that could also temporarily shutdown dwm (as far as i can see it just moves it somewhere else)
3. disconnect your mouse from the pc
4. alt+tab to the device cleanup (if you cant see it dont worry when you alt+tab you should see the icon in your tab panel, dont worry about the rest of this bit even if you cant see it or use your mouse follow these instructions precisely this should work as the computer is still running windows in the background and you are merely using your keyboard to control) *press F5* to refresh all device, then *CTRL+A* to select all, *Del* key to delete all entries. This should delete all mouse registry from the computer
5. now you can use the shortcut *CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + PAGE UP* to reinitialize DWM as long as you still have win_10_dwm_tool opened.
6. after getting your screen back to normal, plug your mouse back in.
7. restart your pc and you should already notice a stark difference with your mouse moving around even with default windows graphical drivers
8. reinstall your audio drivers, i recommend getting those from your motherboard manufacturer's website for your motherboard (how i got my realtek sorted anyways)
9. after another reboot, reinstall your graphics card drivers.
10. Done and happy gaming.

The problem i believe fundamentally arises with how windows itself handles mouse drivers and registries along with its buggy dwm software, as this problem persisted for both my alienware m15 as well as my gaming rtx 2080 custom built desktop. Both so far 4 days in, seems to have been fixed with this method.

Thatweirdinputlag

Re: Fixed my frame skipping, input lag, mouse on ice issue after 5 years of utter agony

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 18 May 2024, 15:33

This seems oddly unintuitive! But it works for you then well done! Keep us updated on whether it comes back or not. Thank you :)
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

cursed-gamer

Re: Fixed my frame skipping, input lag, mouse on ice issue after 5 years of utter agony

Post by cursed-gamer » 18 May 2024, 15:53

Why is DWM an issue for you, but not for the others who can enjoy gaming session?

Vezovi

Post by Vezovi » 18 May 2024, 17:24

cursed-gamer wrote: ↑
18 May 2024, 15:53
Why is DWM an issue for you, but not for the others who can enjoy gaming session?
Exactly... If its Windows problem, why not even single pro player has it? No one do this kind of tricks, they just install driver as is, and thats it.
Another placebo solution.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 May 2024, 16:42

Vezovi wrote: ↑
18 May 2024, 17:24
Nope.

Not necessarily placebo.

For example there's input lag in non-VSYNC-OFF non-FSE situations. esports uses VSYNC OFF in Full Screen Exclusive.

Apples versus bananas!

Sync settings (VSYNC ON, OFF, VRR, borderless, DWM, etc) can make lag appear and disappear. Some sync technologies (e.g. VRR) is more fiddly in latencies.

There's many unexpected causes of latency, often user-specific and system-specific, and sometimes affects only specific games and systems. What one person has doesn't necessarily affect another person. But Windows definitely is part of the problem, at least at some sync settings (that not all esports athletes use).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 20 May 2024, 16:56

So basically you’re saying do a fresh install of your mouse while dwm is disabled?

Slender

Post by Slender » 20 May 2024, 19:11

Chief Blur Buster wrote: ↑
19 May 2024, 16:42
Nope.

Not necessarily placebo.

For example there's input lag in non-VSYNC-OFF non-FSE situations. esports uses VSYNC OFF in Full Screen Exclusive.

Apples versus bananas!

Sync settings (VSYNC ON, OFF, VRR, borderless, DWM, etc) can make lag appear and disappear. Some sync technologies (e.g. VRR) is more fiddly in latencies.

There's many unexpected causes of latency, often user-specific and system-specific, and sometimes affects only specific games and systems. What one person has doesn't necessarily affect another person. But Windows definitely is part of the problem, at least at some sync settings (that not all esports athletes use).
but this is specific issue from windows.
any removal/change/reinstallation of windows drivers (nic/gpu/chipset) affects the operation of the system. Roughly speaking, any action in the device manager affects how the mouse moves. I think everyone on this forum can confirm this.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 May 2024, 17:05

Slender wrote: ↑
20 May 2024, 19:11
but this is specific issue from windows.
any removal/change/reinstallation of windows drivers (nic/gpu/chipset) affects the operation of the system. Roughly speaking, any action in the device manager affects how the mouse moves. I think everyone on this forum can confirm this.
That is a different topic.

You're correct that fiddling with Device Manager can sometimes affect the mouse. Not always, but it can. For example,

But what I am saying it is sometimes placebo and sometimes definitely not.

Also, I was replying to this one, not that one:

Back to the original topic of my reply:
My point is I refute the "Placebo" guarantee.
We haven't guaranteed this is placebo.
We haven't guaranteed this is not placebo.

These "Another placebo solutions" yells is almost like yelling "Fire" in a theater.

Misdiagnosises also happen very often, e.g. placebo when not, and notplacebo when it is.
Forum members yelling "Fire" er "Placebo"...

It's bad etiquette to do so at this specific forum called the "Blur Busters Forums". We are the people whose mythbusts against naysayers said "HooMaNs KanNot See 30 Vs 60" or "Humans Can't Tell Beyond 240fps 240Hz" etc. And we even science-out Milliseconds Matters with understandable mathematical-compatible points of view, and point out where 10ms is invisible but 0.1ms sometimes is in another context. Just because X is placebo doesn't mean Y isn't placebo. You see?

It's best for forum members to science out these settings rather than armchair speculate placebo/notplacebo. If you want to yell "Fire", give proof it's actually fire, e.g. measurements, spreadsheets, data, self-tests with LDAT (phototiode connected to Arduino-type microcontrollers etc) to prove that a specific change to WIndows is actually affecting things, etc. And sometimes you have to actually visit the specific problem system (the other forum member) to actually science/measure out the placebo/notplacebo to a non-speculate.

It's unfortunately not always clear-cut when a setting changes genuinely affects System A but does not affect System B. Whether mudane things like different motherboard chip, or a different USB driver, or a slightly different build number of the OS, etc.

This isn't easy armchair declares in the UFO-logoed brand whose goals includes advocacy/mythbusting various components of high-Hz in an era where many people disbelieve high-Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

marat

Post by marat » 24 May 2024, 09:17

Hello, can you write in more detail, I don’t understand how to do it

Brutek_Vladimir

Post by Brutek_Vladimir » 24 May 2024, 09:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote: ↑
21 May 2024, 17:05
snip
IMHO its a actually a job for OP and all OPs who post here these solutions to do:
If you want to yell "Fix", give proof it's actually works, e.g. measurements, spreadsheets, data, self-tests with LDAT (phototiode connected to Arduino-type microcontrollers etc) to prove that a specific change to WIndows is actually affecting things, etc.