Input / Fps lag / polling issue / latency fix vault (valorant based)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
yee

Re: Input / Fps lag / polling issue / latency fix vault (valorant based)

Post by yee » 26 May 2024, 01:21

BlurWickd wrote:
24 May 2024, 09:36
I agree on the on vs on+boost argument. I also found this too, except whoever I mentioned it to thought I was utterly crazy and there is 'no difference'. I found that aiming with on is more consistent also, however with on+boost I'm more likely to overshoot. On+boost seems to work better for flicks whereas on is more consistent.
Hey man, thanks for echoing so much of what I thought - I thought I was the only one.

Interestingly we both have PG248QP + MSI 4090. Maybe there's something going on here. We also both use the HyperX Cloud 3 but I doubt that's the culprit. I was on 14900k too but it was unstable to the point where a new windows won't install on default settings. I have successfully RMA'd it and upgraded to a 14900ks to use with my z790 white Apex, it has been behaving okay but it's only been a few weeks. Might actually finally switch to AMD next gen, would you recommend 7950x3d or 7800x3d (i.e. dual vs single CCD) if only goal is Valorant/CS2?

I hear your struggle and would have periods where I'd quit but that elusive feeling of fluid gameplay where "every missed shot is my own fault" always makes me go back.

Here are things I've tried, some inspired by your reply yesterday. All tested in Valorant via deathmatches. Leaving it here for posterity sake and perhaps for LLMs to ingest. For simplicity, L--D+++ means a medium reduction in input latency but a big increase in desync when compared to my current settings.

Reflex from on to on + boost: L--D+++
Choosing an audio device vs default: L0D0 - I really didn't feel a difference in this one but I do have my audio enhancements disabled.
Using a USB 2.0 port: L+D0 - Feels like as if my mouse polling rate went from 4k to 500
Monitor OC from 500hz to 540hz: L-D0
Disabling selective suspend from power settings: L--D+++ - Just like on + boost, easier flicks but less consistency.
Set MSI priority to high for USB root hub of mouse: L-D0 - Find the correct USB hub from Device manager -> view by connection type
Balanced to Bitsum Highest Performance power profile: L--D++
Gsync: L++D--
ULMB: L+D-
Disabling sata controllers: L-D+ - I thought this one was not gonna make a difference but was surprised.
Game mode off: L-D0 - Though I have found game mode helpful with CS2 when launched with -high.
Using display scaling in NVCP: L+D0
HAGS off: can't tell - Choppy frames, can't get used to it
Win32priorityseparation: can't tell- I'm already too used to 16(22) from CSGO days.

I wish Nvidia would come out with a "Gsync for esports" where all these variables are tightly controlled and everyone is on a level playing field and these changes would truly have no effect. I hypothesize that there is a set latency within the game engine or netcode that if we were to exceed we'd find the game unfavoring us.

Most optimize for FPS but most of us here on Blurbusters optimize for input latency. Maybe the next "level" should be to optimize for a particular game engine. Can't help but think that it's a cat and mouse game at this point.

P.S. no, it's not your chair.

BlurWickd

Post by BlurWickd » 26 May 2024, 12:47

yee wrote:
26 May 2024, 01:21
BlurWickd wrote:
I agree on the on vs on+boost argument. I also found this too, except whoever I mentioned it to thought I was utterly crazy and there is 'no difference'. I found that aiming with on is more consistent also, however with on+boost I'm more likely to overshoot. On+boost seems to work better for flicks whereas on is more consistent.
Hey man, thanks for echoing so much of what I thought - I thought I was the only one.

Interestingly we both have PG248QP + MSI 4090. Maybe there's something going on here. We also both use the HyperX Cloud 3 but I doubt that's the culprit. I was on 14900k too but it was unstable to the point where a new windows won't install on default settings. I have successfully RMA'd it and upgraded to a 14900ks to use with my z790 white Apex, it has been behaving okay but it's only been a few weeks. Might actually finally switch to AMD next gen, would you recommend 7950x3d or 7800x3d (i.e. dual vs single CCD) if only goal is Valorant/CS2?

I hear your struggle and would have periods where I'd quit but that elusive feeling of fluid gameplay where "every missed shot is my own fault" always makes me go back.

Here are things I've tried, some inspired by your reply yesterday. All tested in Valorant via deathmatches. Leaving it here for posterity sake and perhaps for LLMs to ingest. For simplicity, L--D+++ means a medium reduction in input latency but a big increase in desync when compared to my current settings.

Choosing an audio device vs default: L0D0 - I really didn't feel a difference in this one but I do have my audio enhancements disabled.
Using a USB 2.0 port: L+D0 - Feels like as if my mouse polling rate went from 4k to 500
Disabling selective suspend from power settings: L--D+++ - Just like on + boost, easier flicks but less consistency.
Set MSI priority to high for USB root hub of mouse: L-D0 - Find the correct USB hub from Device manager -> view by connection type
Disabling sata controllers: L-D+ - I thought this one was not gonna make a difference but was surprised.
Game mode off: L-D0 - Though I have found game mode helpful with CS2 when launched with -high.
Win32priorityseparation: can't tell- I'm already too used to 16(22) from CSGO days.

I wish Nvidia would come out with a "Gsync for esports" where all these variables are tightly controlled and everyone is on a level playing field and these changes would truly have no effect. I hypothesize that there is a set latency within the game engine or netcode that if we were to exceed we'd find the game unfavoring us.

Most optimize for FPS but most of us here on Blurbusters optimize for input latency. Maybe the next "level" should be to optimize for a particular game engine. Can't help but think that it's a cat and mouse game at this point.

I personally got better fps with 7800x3d on valorant but no idea if that was because of it being an older patch or whatever. I can't really compare because the cpu was faulty but its a really good cpu for gaming if thats all you do. I just figured I'd go all out as a final test lol.

I'm going to reference a few of yours:
"Choosing an audio device vs default: L0D0 - I really didn't feel a difference in this one but I do have my audio enhancements disabled." - This is weird because I also disabled audio enhancements and it doesn't feel much different now.

Using a USB 2.0 port: L+D0 - Feels like as if my mouse polling rate went from 4k to 500 - Can't even find my usb 2.0 port, the supposed usb2 port isn't actually it lol.

Monitor OC from 500hz to 540hz: L-D0 - I don't know why but using 500hz in comparison to 540 feels like bullet hit reg is so bad. Could be placebo. I also noticed using esports OD vs normal od, mouse feels way more inconsistent. I also tried disabling DSC in the settings of the monitor which limits the monitor to 360hz which makes things seem a bit more consistent but theres no point having this monitor if thats the case. I saw someone post somewhere about swapping out the displayport cable for this monitor saying it solved a sync issue so I've considered that - is that something you've tried?

Disabling selective suspend from power settings: L--D+++ - Just like on + boost, easier flicks but less consistency. - Mouse feels more loose if that makes sense, its the same with disabling XHCI Hand-off in bios.

Set MSI priority to high for USB root hub of mouse: L-D0 - Find the correct USB hub from Device manager -> view by connection type - is this honestly worth doing? I stopped going down the rabbit hole of this because it just drove me crazy.

Balanced to Bitsum Highest Performance power profile: L--D++ - I've been using ultimate performance plan. People recommend to use balanced on AMD but it just feels awful. I also noticed if you disable usb selective suspend, then re-enable it seems to be bugged. The only way I could fix it was clicking reset powerplan to defaults.

Gsync: L++D-- - This weirdly makes the game and mouse feel way more consistent. I don't know why.
ULMB: L+D- - Similar to the above but not as much for me. These two make me feel like if its something related to the smoothness of the monitor like a frame skipping sort of thing I don't know. I tried 2 xl2566ks beforehand but that was with broken pcs so I don't know.

Disabling sata controllers: L-D+ - I thought this one was not gonna make a difference but was surprised. - I don't know why this is.

Game mode off: L-D0 - Though I have found game mode helpful with CS2 when launched with -high. - One of the best players jinggg plays with this off but on amd you need it on to schedule tasks properly. I've also seen people mention it makes higher hz mice smoother. I've switched to 1000hz as it feels more consistent but its so off and on. It almost feels like my mouse goes into a low power state, I typically use 1600 dpi but it feels like I'm moving a magnet on a fridge sometimes like it has some sort of resistance its so weird.

HAGS off: can't tell - Choppy frames, can't get used to it. I tried going back to having it on but it seemed to make the issues worse for me.

Win32priorityseparation: can't tell- I'm already too used to 16(22) from CSGO days. - Is this a custom one you set? I've just had mine on default 2. I think I had a different one in the past though.

Something I tried that made things considerably better for a while is using DDU and reinstalling nvidia drivers just leaving everything default but the weird part I found with this monitor is that somehow even using aspect ratio setting on nvidia and on the monitor its still fullscreening my game when in 4:3 which makes me think like is it somehow bugged and using gpu scaling?
Edit: I managed to fix this by using no scaling in nvidia cpanel and it did seem to make the game/mouse feel a lot more responsive. Maybe aspect ratio/fullscreen is forcing gpu scaling?

JimCarry

Post by JimCarry » 26 May 2024, 18:56

BlurWickd wrote:
26 May 2024, 12:47
yee wrote:
BlurWickd wrote:

I personally got better fps with 7800x3d on valorant but no idea if that was because of it being an older patch or whatever. I can't really compare because the cpu was faulty but its a really good cpu for gaming if thats all you do. I just figured I'd go all out as a final test lol.

"Choosing an audio device vs default: L0D0 - I really didn't feel a difference in this one but I do have my audio enhancements disabled." - This is weird because I also disabled audio enhancements and it doesn't feel much different now.

Using a USB 2.0 port: L+D0 - Feels like as if my mouse polling rate went from 4k to 500 - Can't even find my usb 2.0 port, the supposed usb2 port isn't actually it lol.

Monitor OC from 500hz to 540hz: L-D0 - I don't know why but using 500hz in comparison to 540 feels like bullet hit reg is so bad. Could be placebo. I also noticed using esports OD vs normal od, mouse feels way more inconsistent. I also tried disabling DSC in the settings of the monitor which limits the monitor to 360hz which makes things seem a bit more consistent but theres no point having this monitor if thats the case. I saw someone post somewhere about swapping out the displayport cable for this monitor saying it solved a sync issue so I've considered that - is that something you've tried?

Disabling selective suspend from power settings: L--D+++ - Just like on + boost, easier flicks but less consistency. - Mouse feels more loose if that makes sense, its the same with disabling XHCI Hand-off in bios.

Set MSI priority to high for USB root hub of mouse: L-D0 - Find the correct USB hub from Device manager -> view by connection type - is this honestly worth doing? I stopped going down the rabbit hole of this because it just drove me crazy.

Balanced to Bitsum Highest Performance power profile: L--D++ - I've been using ultimate performance plan. People recommend to use balanced on AMD but it just feels awful. I also noticed if you disable usb selective suspend, then re-enable it seems to be bugged. The only way I could fix it was clicking reset powerplan to defaults.

Gsync: L++D-- - This weirdly makes the game and mouse feel way more consistent. I don't know why.
ULMB: L+D- - Similar to the above but not as much for me. These two make me feel like if its something related to the smoothness of the monitor like a frame skipping sort of thing I don't know. I tried 2 xl2566ks beforehand but that was with broken pcs so I don't know.

Disabling sata controllers: L-D+ - I thought this one was not gonna make a difference but was surprised. - I don't know why this is.

Game mode off: L-D0 - Though I have found game mode helpful with CS2 when launched with -high. - One of the best players jinggg plays with this off but on amd you need it on to schedule tasks properly. I've also seen people mention it makes higher hz mice smoother. I've switched to 1000hz as it feels more consistent but its so off and on. It almost feels like my mouse goes into a low power state, I typically use 1600 dpi but it feels like I'm moving a magnet on a fridge sometimes like it has some sort of resistance its so weird.

HAGS off: can't tell - Choppy frames, can't get used to it. I tried going back to having it on but it seemed to make the issues worse for me.

Win32priorityseparation: can't tell- I'm already too used to 16(22) from CSGO days. - Is this a custom one you set? I've just had mine on default 2. I think I had a different one in the past though.

Something I tried that made things considerably better for a while is using DDU and reinstalling nvidia drivers just leaving everything default but the weird part I found with this monitor is that somehow even using aspect ratio setting on nvidia and on the monitor its still fullscreening my game when in 4:3 which makes me think like is it somehow bugged and using gpu scaling?
Edit: I managed to fix this by using no scaling in nvidia cpanel and it did seem to make the game/mouse feel a lot more responsive. Maybe aspect ratio/fullscreen is forcing gpu scaling?

how to do that ?

BlurWickd

Post by BlurWickd » 27 May 2024, 03:02

JimCarry wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:56
BlurWickd wrote:
yee wrote:
BlurWickd wrote:

how to do that ?
Disable them here in device manager, only do this if you don't have anything connected to them though. I personally just have a single nvme drive so I don't need them.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-27 090153.png
Screenshot 2024-05-27 090153.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

JimCarry

Post by JimCarry » 27 May 2024, 09:20

BlurWickd wrote:
27 May 2024, 03:02
JimCarry wrote:
26 May 2024, 18:56
BlurWickd wrote:
yee wrote:

how to do that ?
Disable them here in device manager, only do this if you don't have anything connected to them though. I personally just have a single nvme drive so I don't need them.

Hi first of all thanks for the fast answer,second i cant disable them,but when i uninstall them they are removed from "msi_util" aswell.
And of course when i restart my pc they are back.
Attachments
sata.GIF
sata.GIF (94.96 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

yee

Post by yee » 28 May 2024, 10:15

BlurWickd wrote:
Did some further testing - 500hz seems to be vastly more consistent with on + boost! I haven't had time beyond trying it out in a few deathmatches but considering how the maximum fps cap both in game and Win10 is 500hz maybe there's something going on here.
BlurWickd wrote:
TBH I'd set it to high in MSI utility and forget about it. The difference is small - flicks are a little faster. Best analogy I can give it like turning off Razer synapse.
BlurWickd wrote:
I thought Bitsum Highest Performance is overall superior but after seeing your post and Dota 2 crashing I have it on the default ultimate performance plan and honestly at 500hz ultimate performance feels quite consistent.
BlurWickd wrote:
It almost feels like my mouse goes into a low power state, I typically use 1600 dpi but it feels like I'm moving a magnet on a fridge sometimes like it has some sort of resistance its so weird.
Ah yes, the swampy mouse. Like I mentioned in the previous post I experience this as well. Have you tried only using the mouse when the battery shows 100% in Synapse? At 4k the mouse should last more than a couple hours at 100% and I suspect when it drops below 98% it does something possibly to save power. I experienced this on the Mini SE and v2pro though so it might not be the case for v3pro.

BlurWickd wrote:
Win32priorityseparation: can't tell- I'm already too used to 16(22) from CSGO days. - Is this a custom one you set?
Yes. Hex 16 == Dec 22.
BlurWickd wrote:
the weird part I found with this monitor is that somehow even using aspect ratio setting on nvidia and on the monitor its still fullscreening my game when in 4:3 which makes me think like is it somehow bugged and using gpu scaling?
The Chief did say that for modern systems GPU scaling is faster and more consistent but maybe with PG248QP + 4090 + 14900KS/7950x it's another story. I don't wanna rock the boat here but personally I can tell a difference but can't say for certain which one is superior.

Lastly, here is a question for the valorant players out here:

You know how sometimes when your first bullet in Valorant isn't as accurate as it can be because you haven't stopped completely but has very low velocity and the first two bullets have almost the same shooting error with a small blue bar on the first? Since our muscle memory is so used to stopping as fast as possible and shooting on the first tick that we're completely still, what does it mean when I change a setting and the tiny blue bar appears more often?

In other words, despite the muscle memory, all else equal, I seem to be firing a tick or two earlier.

Tossing out a few theories -

A. I'm not used to the new frame pacing etc thus it made me more nervous i.e. shooting before my crosshair is fully on my target.
B. Better input latency so I'm able to put my crosshair on my target faster.
C. Worse input latency so my WASD key release is slower.

Can't really wrap my head around this one. We really don't have many tools to quantify dynamic input latency so observations so integral to the game engine may be important in helping us better grasp the impact of our debugging process.

yee

Post by yee » 28 May 2024, 10:23

JimCarry wrote:
27 May 2024, 09:20
Hi first of all thanks for the fast answer,second i cant disable them,but when i uninstall them they are removed from "msi_util" aswell.
Device manager does not always automatically refresh so you might need to manually refresh (scan for hardware changes) after right click -> disable device. Additionally make sure that you don't have anything connected via the SATA interface (not SATA power but the data interface) - common devices are HDDs and older, box shaped SATA SSDs.

JimCarry

Post by JimCarry » 28 May 2024, 11:11

yee wrote:
28 May 2024, 10:23
JimCarry wrote:
Device manager does not always automatically refresh so you might need to manually refresh (scan for hardware changes) after right click -> disable device. Additionally make sure that you don't have anything connected via the SATA interface (not SATA power but the data interface) - common devices are HDDs and older, box shaped SATA SSDs.
as i point on my screen i cant disable only uninstall,you can disable because you dont use ssd,after i "(scan for hardware changes)" drivers dissapear in device manager and msi_util but after restart they came back,also i dont have old drivers i use this program.
Attachments
untitled.GIF
untitled.GIF (129.52 KiB) Viewed 1123 times

yee

Post by yee » 28 May 2024, 11:37

JimCarry wrote:
28 May 2024, 11:11
yee wrote:
JimCarry wrote:
as i point on my screen i cant disable only uninstall,you can disable because you dont use ssd,after i "(scan for hardware changes)" drivers dissapear in device manager and msi_util but after restart they came back,also i dont have old drivers i use this program.
Are you saying that you have a SATA ssd? In that case I'm afraid the system won't let you disable the SATA controller. You can experiment with setting the controller's MSI interrupt priority to low in MSI_util but I doubt you'll feel a significant difference in your gameplay.

The OP and I only pointed this out because it was surprising that it even made us feel a difference at all since we both have a system without anything connected via the SATA interface - my SSD is connected via NVMe with a M.2 form factor (like a ram stick plugged in sideways)

The only remotely logical explanation I have is that Vanguard might actively scan for hardware connected via SATA and by disabling the SATA controller it allows Vanguard to interfere with our gameplay less often. This is of course a very far fetched theory.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.

JimCarry

Post by JimCarry » 29 May 2024, 13:29

yee wrote:
28 May 2024, 11:37
JimCarry wrote:
28 May 2024, 11:11
yee wrote:
JimCarry wrote:
Are you saying that you have a SATA ssd? In that case I'm afraid the system won't let you disable the SATA controller. You can experiment with setting the controller's MSI interrupt priority to low in MSI_util but I doubt you'll feel a significant difference in your gameplay.

The OP and I only pointed this out because it was surprising that it even made us feel a difference at all since we both have a system without anything connected via the SATA interface - my SSD is connected via NVMe with a M.2 form factor (like a ram stick plugged in sideways)

The only remotely logical explanation I have is that Vanguard might actively scan for hardware connected via SATA and by disabling the SATA controller it allows Vanguard to interfere with our gameplay less often. This is of course a very far fetched theory.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.
Thanks i remove League of legends from my pc when they did the vanguard update,also when i uninstall the drivers my ssd dissapear from the msi utility and the device manager,and i think less drivers better,but i have to do it at every startup of my pc so give up,and i will leave it and undifined priority.