Help to find optimal settings for FPS

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Feevercz

Help to find optimal settings for FPS

Post by Feevercz » 14 Mar 2019, 09:22

Hello guys,
I am completelly new here and I am also an owner of 144Hz monitor, but I never researched on this topic.
I am also strugling with my PC specs to even hit 144+ FPS in some games.

Right now I am trying to optimize my performance for Apex legends, without tempering with the videoconfig files I could hit 80-120FPs.
For me personally it is best so far to lock my FPS to 75, so I dont have any FPS spikes.

Anyway to get back to the original topic, this is my PC:
i5-7600K
MSI GTX 970 4G (3,5G -.- )
16GB RAM
144Hz monitor Samsung C24FG73FQU

I am trying to understand what should be my goals to have the best gaming experience.
Scenario 1.) I will be able to get more FPS than my refresh rate, stable
Scenario 2.) I will be able to get more FPS than my refresh rate, but with drops below refresh rate, example: 130-160fps
Scenario 3.) I won´t be able to get more FPS than my refresh rate, but FPS will be stable
Scenario 4.) I won´t be able to get more FPS than my refresh rate, with FPS drops

I would like to get your insight how to approach every scenario, so I can better understand what each adjustment does.
(I am talking about setting up FPS caps, NVCP V-Sync ON/OFF, in-game V-Sync ON/OFF (For Apex there is more V-Sync options like Adaptive, etc.)

Before trying to fiddle with video config files I had Scenario 4.) as I mentioned on top, so from my personal experience what felt the best was: NVCP V-Sync OFF, game V-SYNC OFF, FPS cap to stable 75 FPS.
But I dont know, that is why Im trying to find better options, this still doesnt feel right and I hope that once I adjust videoconfig files I will be able to hit 144FPS+.

P.S: I know I need to upgrade my video card, I am saving for that.
P.S.S: Sorry for my grammar guys.

Thank you!
Feever

jorimt

Re: Help to find optimal settings for FPS

Post by jorimt » 14 Mar 2019, 09:38

A locked framerate is typically optimal for consistent aiming in competitive shooters, so if the tearing isn't bothering you, and 75 FPS is the maximum your system can achieve 99% of the time (I'm assuming you have all in-game graphics settings at low already?) for that game, then without VRR (G-SYNC/FreeSync) available to you, that is indeed the best scenario you're currently going to get if you're looking for both the lowest input lag and most consistent aiming experience.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Feevercz

Post by Feevercz » 14 Mar 2019, 10:45

jorimt wrote:75 FPS is the maximum your system can achieve 99% of the time (I'm assuming you have all in-game graphics settings at low already?) for that game, then without VRR (G-SYNC/FreeSync) available to you, that is indeed the best scenario you're currently going to get if you're looking for both the lowest input lag and most consistent aiming experience.
Well on current settings 120FPS is the maximum I can achieve, but then during a gun fight, or when there is a lot of going on I have drops to 75ish FPS, that fast and radical FPS drop was affecting me negatively, thats why I locked it at 75.

Do you recommend otherwise?

Also when I get home I will do some additional tweaking and I should get FPS over 144 (my refresh rate), but I am note sure about the FPS drops. Do you then suggest different settings?

What about VSync options?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 14 Mar 2019, 12:20

Feevercz wrote:Well on current settings 120FPS is the maximum I can achieve, but then during a gun fight, or when there is a lot of going on I have drops to 75ish FPS, that fast and radical FPS drop was affecting me negatively, thats why I locked it at 75.
Right, while 120 FPS may be the maximum you can achieve, I specifically stated if "75 FPS is the maximum your system can achieve 99% of the time," a.k.a. you're average framerate, then, if you want the most consistency, that is what you want to lock it to if you currently get lots of drops at an otherwise higher average framerate.
Feevercz wrote:What about VSync options?
Any low lag V-SYNC methods for framerates well inside the refresh rate (75 FPS @144Hz, for instance) are always going to have higher input lag than V-SYNC OFF. So it depends on what you value more: a tear-free experience, or lowest input lag possible. Because without VRR, you can't quite have both of those, at least with fluctuating framerates and/or framerates well within the refresh rate.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Mar 2019, 23:20

....that said, it is possible to get close (within a sub-refresh cycle) with carefully tuned RTSS scanline sync. That said, it can be fiddly.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

senny22

Post by senny22 » 03 May 2019, 19:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:....that said, it is possible to get close (within a sub-refresh cycle) with carefully tuned RTSS scanline sync. That said, it can be fiddly.
Could you expand a bit on this? Close to what exactly?