Visible spaces in fast mouse movement

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
jorimt

Re: Visible spaces in fast mouse movement

Post by jorimt » 21 Nov 2021, 14:58

Vocaleyes wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 13:28
You either don't have the issue, or are ignorant to how a mouse is supposed to function it seems?
Great, the passive-aggressive OP comments begin here then (it's inevitable with these type of threads, but it took you longer than usual, at least)...

The burden of proof is on you here, and you've failed to provide any objective replicable method or adequate explanation of your issue beyond the fact that every single PC you tried after your original Windows 7 build just feels "wrong" to you where mouse input is concerned, and we're somehow suppose to know what that is.

We've gone through virtually every conceivable possibility (in the limited expression of this medium), and you've eliminated every single one. Maybe you should temporarily revert to Windows 7 and see if you can replicate the previous mouse response. That, and/or upgrade your motherboard to a newer chipset, even though the odds of that helping are very slim.

Regardless of your issue (and what you experienced on Windows 7), mouse input is never 1:1, even with EPP off. There is a delay between when you swipe and when it is shown on-screen, and that delay can be variable. I perceive that as well, but I know it's a physical limitation of the hardware, so I allow my brain to adapt. If you expect that to be "fixed," it won't be until our hardware can reach near unlimited refresh/frame/polling rates, which, by the time that is possible, it may not even work in those terms.

Whether your issue is beyond that, is something the majority of us can't determine without experiencing it in person at this point (again, we've exhausted all the conventional potential solutions).

Maybe there will be others here with more ideas, but I for one, am out, and we're now just going in conversational circles. Good luck.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 21 Nov 2021, 17:01

No passive aggressiveness here, just an honest response to
In other words, if this phenomena genuinely exists, it would just be a limitation of current technology (be it actual hardware, software, or a mix of both), and you happen to be super-humanly sensitive to the lack of 1:1 input, even if it's in the 1 or sub millisecond range.
Sorry if you perceived it that way.
Even if it sort of is an unfair stantement, given the amount of people just on this forum alone suffering the same issue.
I understand that people will inevitably get frustrated and you're used to having a thick skin to deal with them, but I am genuinely attempting to be as thorough and articulate as per the ability I possess.

I'm not here for any other reason than to troubleshoot this highly illusive issue.

Also
The burden of proof is on you here, and you've failed to provide any objective replicable method or adequate explanation of your issue beyond the fact that every single PC you tried after your original Windows 7 build just feels "wrong" to you where mouse input is concerned, and we're somehow suppose to know what that is.

To be honest though, I did provide you substantially more descriptive symptoms of said issue..
But I digress.

I fully understand that 'on paper' it isn't really possible to feel that sort of difference in response time, that being the point.. it isn't functioning as intended.

It should not be possible to feel such a drastic effect, yet that's how it is.
In my book, that isn't 'correct', not based on anything other than experience.
Had I have had a mouse that felt like this from day 1, different story, but that isn't the case.

My point being, things on paper often don't consistently reflect in real-world application. Where someone who either does not have this issue or is used to the current state of tracking, I can understand how it would seem beweldering to hear, but once again.. is currently how it is.

I've seen reports of peoples rigs being moved to a different location, only to work correctly, we all remember the fall creators update shenanigans, not to mention spectre and meldown, or KByadayada.. so many variables.. so surely it can't be that farfetched to appreciate that just because one person isn't experiencing something, doesn't mean that is a universal standard.

Regardless, whatever is happening, has seemed to be progressing slowly since around 2016 and now it would appear more and more people are either noticing or are being affected.

Also, I will attempt to capture an adequate video of what's happening tomorrow. But getting the right format is important, so I'm not accused of anything dodgy etc.

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 03 Dec 2021, 20:53

Have not got around to this due to other prioritisations.

But came to say, due to all our dimmer switches acting erratically/ strobing in our home also, we have been progressing with the electrical route.

We are in the process of installing a shunt active filter to combat.

The current assumed diagnosis being harmonic, due to big battery chargers/ external electrical influence on supply.

E.g. substation or electric car charging points (which also corresponds to time of day effects).

Will update when completed with conclusion of overall effect.