In the end it was the stupid ethernet cable

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
CastleNathria

Re: In the end it was the stupid ethernet cable

Post by CastleNathria » 08 Aug 2022, 07:16

Shouldn't this sort of thing prop up as errors on the line?

I run my setup with a cl2960 switch I got from work, modded it with a different fan etc. etc.

There, show interfaces gives you a picture where you can also see error counters on interfaces.

MS doesn't make this easily accessible, but shouldn't it still be there under the hood somewhere? I'm gonna have to go diving.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 09 Aug 2022, 15:42

CastleNathria wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 07:16
Shouldn't this sort of thing prop up as errors on the line?

I run my setup with a cl2960 switch I got from work, modded it with a different fan etc. etc.

There, show interfaces gives you a picture where you can also see error counters on interfaces.

MS doesn't make this easily accessible, but shouldn't it still be there under the hood somewhere? I'm gonna have to go diving.
Good question, FEC in routers or modems "ISP assigned ones" is generally not accessible through the common user interface. Only in 1 modem out of 4 different ISPs I was able to pull up hardware statistics through an admin login interface "which the ISP does not provide". With that, I still wasn't able to understand a thing, all i knew is the word FEC, and FEC Rate was present with a lot of numbers in front of it. Did I try to contact them? Ofc I did, I explained to them that I might be having packet interval irregularity causing a lot of errors and retransmissions. So the lovely lady continued with "let's do a speed-test".
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 09 Aug 2022, 15:44

Iserverthefirelord wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 05:14
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 04:02
Hopefully it stays like this for you! I've tried 5e, 6, 6A UTP, 7 STP, 7 SFTP, 8 SFTP, and using onboard wireless card. Some of the ethernet cables went as expansive as $20 for 1 meter. Every time I use a new cable, everything becomes fine and dandy for about 2 days and then the hailstorm comes back.
It's an obvious question probably, but have you tried your rig in other house? Or have you tried playing offline, with mobile internet etc?
I never tried the rig in another house unfortunately, I don't rent the apartment that I live in, I own it. But I did try offline, wireless, over the phone, etc. everything was the same, with the wireless one being a bit better for the first game then it's back to being absolutely bad.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

espresso

Post by espresso » 12 Aug 2022, 11:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 21:53
I've accidentally badly crimped an Ethernet cable, and created really weird lag/slowdown effects.

Bad network wiring and connectors are definitely a super-common source of lag -- whether be cable, DSL, Ethernet, etc.
The one i have is severely squeezed in many locations when it got in between the door and frame. Just ordered a new one. If this was the problem all along i need to throw something from my balcony

espresso

Post by espresso » 13 Aug 2022, 03:13

Just installed new Network cable. Result: ZERO difference.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 13 Aug 2022, 03:30

espresso wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 03:13
Just installed new Network cable. Result: ZERO difference.
when it's the ethernet cable, it will be reallllllllly obvious not a "could it be?, seconds of freezes without disconnecting from your game all the way.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

woodyfly

Post by woodyfly » 13 Aug 2022, 08:36

an ethernet cable would be so easy so trial and error. Unplug cable -> go play offline vs bots or use a wifi card. This is probably placebo

Rallaz

Post by Rallaz » 26 Aug 2022, 07:49

The thing is actually ethernet cables may cause higher interferences (then we might think).
I assume this could be a lot of cases nowadays.
  • Cause moving the actual PC has an affect of how much the input lag is still there.
  • Removing the Ethernet Cable doesn't do "that much" but it does something.
  • Moving the actual Ethernet Cable far away from PC like 5-10 meter does almost make it perfect.
  • Moving the actual Ethernet Cable (connected) to the PC like the cable just to the side from the PC like 3-4 meters does actually have a huge impact as well.
But all "solutions" above doesnt work for a long time in my case.

@Chief
Do you have some input in this like some how I think everyone regarding this problem is suffering from kHz / Mhz interference from (emi, emf or rfi?)

You said you degraded performance on a PC by clamping the actual cable?
Even tho I think the cables still transmits some kind or somewhat of interfernces thats making something in the actual PC work at a lower-speed or a worsen performance.
I consulted with a professor regarding eletronics and motorics regarding this.

He said that if we would to ground the ethernet thats "incoming" it might disappear for the entire area/building.
Didnt really made the whole trick tho. (tried).

He said as well we could try sending fiber optic all the way to the PC but I think it might still get inferences from other cables in nearby apartments or somewhat nearby cables.
He meant we should try take the incoming internet/ethernet outlet and install a fiber optic cable, then take a fiber optic switch and extend that cable by 1 meter and then attach it to another fiber optic switch to "degrade" the actual interference coming via ethernet networks

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » 28 Aug 2022, 02:12

Hi, I made this thread at the end of July, since then a lot has happened. The guy who said it will come back was right. Lag did come back but this time I was determined to find the real source of the problem. I asked my neighbor who lives under me in the apartment block to use his electricity to run my pc. I ran an extension cord from one of his sockets to my room and everything felt fine. Very good mouse feel and hitreg so I became convinced it is electricity related. After this I hired someone to install a new socket in the room my pc is and run it directly from the fuse panel. Again like all fixes this made the game feel better but the issue was still there. I started experimenting with unplugging appliances like the refrigerator out. Unplugging the refrigerator made the game playable sometimes, sometimes not.

I started looking for electricity fixes and a new fix that is going around youtube and some telegram channels is to plug a soldering iron or a lamp in the same extension cord as the pc. I ordered a 50w led lamp and used it for a couple of days. The game improved somewhat especially after the lamp heated up. I was so disappointed that the problem might be unfixable since I already experimented with unplugging everything from the house and just having the pc, monitor and router plugged in.

A couple of weeks ago I took a look at the fuse box outside the apartment. There are 3 apartments on this floor yet the fuse box had 4 fuses. I noticed the 4th fuse has a cable leading to an old metal box. I opened that box and this is what I found: https://ibb.co/c3FQnKn
It is an amplifier for a TV antenna that is on top of the block. I guess some old TV company installed and never disabled it once everyone switched to fiber. I quickly disconnected this amplifier and tested the game. I was blown away by the smoothness. It really felt like a complete fix. The colors on the monitor were also more vivid. No more jagged edges around the boxes/corners in csgo. Mouse feel became perfect.

In the end it was not the ethernet cable though messing with it definitely changed the feel, it was just a symptom of a bigger problem. The issue is 100% resolved for me now.

f1ndus

Post by f1ndus » 28 Aug 2022, 04:38

Ravenous wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 02:12
Hi, I made this thread at the end of July, since then a lot has happened. The guy who said it will come back was right. Lag did come back but this time I was determined to find the real source of the problem. I asked my neighbor who lives under me in the apartment block to use his electricity to run my pc. I ran an extension cord from one of his sockets to my room and everything felt fine. Very good mouse feel and hitreg so I became convinced it is electricity related. After this I hired someone to install a new socket in the room my pc is and run it directly from the fuse panel. Again like all fixes this made the game feel better but the issue was still there. I started experimenting with unplugging appliances like the refrigerator out. Unplugging the refrigerator made the game playable sometimes, sometimes not.

I started looking for electricity fixes and a new fix that is going around youtube and some telegram channels is to plug a soldering iron or a lamp in the same extension cord as the pc. I ordered a 50w led lamp and used it for a couple of days. The game improved somewhat especially after the lamp heated up. I was so disappointed that the problem might be unfixable since I already experimented with unplugging everything from the house and just having the pc, monitor and router plugged in.

A couple of weeks ago I took a look at the fuse box outside the apartment. There are 3 apartments on this floor yet the fuse box had 4 fuses. I noticed the 4th fuse has a cable leading to an old metal box. I opened that box and this is what I found: https://ibb.co/c3FQnKn
It is an amplifier for a TV antenna that is on top of the block. I guess some old TV company installed and never disabled it once everyone switched to fiber. I quickly disconnected this amplifier and tested the game. I was blown away by the smoothness. It really felt like a complete fix. The colors on the monitor were also more vivid. No more jagged edges around the boxes/corners in csgo. Mouse feel became perfect.

In the end it was not the ethernet cable though messing with it definitely changed the feel, it was just a symptom of a bigger problem. The issue is 100% resolved for me now.

haha so happiness from u when u did something, this placebo fixes are awesome for sure, i had too this feeling when i did something in house, also when i plug 50m extension cord from my neighboor for 1 month without any result, enjoy your few days placebo feeling.
source of our problem unfortunately it is not visible or tangible :?