Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
gemarda
Posts: 3
Joined: 28 Jan 2023, 08:05

Re: Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Post by gemarda » 29 Jan 2023, 17:55

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 15:00
gemarda wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 08:14
Hi guys, 1 month ago i bought the Hyperx Cloud II headset, the wired version.

Since then, i felt a huge change in csgo and other games, the movement of the mouse got weird like skating on ice, so sluggish. Some days ago i've tried disconnecting the 7.1 dongle and use the 3.5 jack and voila!. The games are running so responsive again.

The problem here is that using the headset without the dongle can't use the mic since it need to be in the jack port :(. Anyone can help me please? i don't know how to solve this problem, btw my mobo is b450 tuf gaming plus ii with 5800x. Thanks in advance :D.
Out of curiosity, what headset did you have before that?
This is my first headset mate, before i used the sound of the monitor

Thatweirdinputlag
Posts: 248
Joined: 27 Aug 2021, 14:09

Re: Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 30 Jan 2023, 01:27

gemarda wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 17:55
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 15:00
gemarda wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 08:14
Hi guys, 1 month ago i bought the Hyperx Cloud II headset, the wired version.

Since then, i felt a huge change in csgo and other games, the movement of the mouse got weird like skating on ice, so sluggish. Some days ago i've tried disconnecting the 7.1 dongle and use the 3.5 jack and voila!. The games are running so responsive again.

The problem here is that using the headset without the dongle can't use the mic since it need to be in the jack port :(. Anyone can help me please? i don't know how to solve this problem, btw my mobo is b450 tuf gaming plus ii with 5800x. Thanks in advance :D.
Out of curiosity, what headset did you have before that?
This is my first headset mate, before i used the sound of the monitor
Oh okay! And the monitor's speakers were hooked to the motherboard via a 3.5 jack or through the same HDMI/DPI Cable?

Shade7
Posts: 222
Joined: 25 May 2022, 18:44

Re: Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Post by Shade7 » 01 Feb 2023, 00:40

RealNC wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 10:16
Try putting your mouse and keyboard in different USB ports. It's best to put them on ports that are not connected directly to the CPU.
Interesting. I saw this behavior with my PC (B550 board + 5600x). The mouse movement gets noticeably better when plugged into any non-CPU USB port. I used to find that strange, since a lot of places mention that you should put your mouse/keyboard in one of the direct CPU slots to get the best performance out of it.

I'm curious why my mouse performs better with a chipset port. Is it mainly to avoid clashing with onboard audio (CPU by default)?

User avatar
RealNC
Site Admin
Posts: 3584
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 18:32
Contact:

Re: Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Post by RealNC » 02 Feb 2023, 05:34

Shade7 wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 00:40
I'm curious why my mouse performs better with a chipset port. Is it mainly to avoid clashing with onboard audio (CPU by default)?
It appears to be a bug in the CPU itself. This also caused full USB disconnects when using fast USB storage devices (like an SSD in a USB enclosure.) AMD have so far only mitigated the issues with AGESA updates, but it appears it's not really fixable.

So it appears CPU connected ports are best used for storage devices while input devices should be put on chipset ports. I believe the recommendation to use a CPU port for mice was for those "8000hz" mice. A regular 1000Hz gaming mouse is perfectly happy on a chipset port.

If you are getting this "ding dong" sound Windows makes when you connect a mouse to a USB port (the "USB device detected" sound) at random times, this might be the issue. I don't think AMD have actually explained the issue, but people who have tried to debug this claim that the CPU sometimes just takes too long to process USB packets, which can obviously cause mouse skips, and sometimes it takes so long to process them that the USB controller itself will time out and cause a disconnect/reconnect.

In any event, CPU ports are an AMD feature intended to allow full saturation of USB bandwidth for SSDs. Your mouse, keyboard, mic, headset, etc, have really no business being connected to those ports. The latency difference of chipset vs CPU port for input is in the microsecond ballbark, which means it doesn't even matter.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

triplese
Posts: 100
Joined: 13 Dec 2021, 12:20

Re: Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Post by triplese » 02 Feb 2023, 17:40

RealNC wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 05:34
The latency difference of chipset vs CPU port for input is in the microsecond ballbark, which means it doesn't even matter.
I saw this video and that guy claims few milliseconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82K3Pb0178g
When high speed cameras will be affordable?

User avatar
dervu
Posts: 192
Joined: 17 Apr 2020, 18:09

Re: Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Post by dervu » 03 Feb 2023, 05:42

triplese wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 17:40
RealNC wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 05:34
The latency difference of chipset vs CPU port for input is in the microsecond ballbark, which means it doesn't even matter.
I saw this video and that guy claims few milliseconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82K3Pb0178g
When high speed cameras will be affordable?
You can buy Sony camera with 1000fps for 1000eur already.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB [email protected] G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || Input lag issue survivor

User avatar
RealNC
Site Admin
Posts: 3584
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 18:32
Contact:

Re: Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Post by RealNC » 03 Feb 2023, 07:23

triplese wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 17:40
I saw this video and that guy claims few milliseconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82K3Pb0178g
When high speed cameras will be affordable?
What's weird about his test is that it apparently only affects the Sony controller but not the others :?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Shade7
Posts: 222
Joined: 25 May 2022, 18:44

Re: Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Post by Shade7 » 04 Feb 2023, 04:04

RealNC wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 05:34
Shade7 wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 00:40
I'm curious why my mouse performs better with a chipset port. Is it mainly to avoid clashing with onboard audio (CPU by default)?
It appears to be a bug in the CPU itself. This also caused full USB disconnects when using fast USB storage devices (like an SSD in a USB enclosure.) AMD have so far only mitigated the issues with AGESA updates, but it appears it's not really fixable.

So it appears CPU connected ports are best used for storage devices while input devices should be put on chipset ports. I believe the recommendation to use a CPU port for mice was for those "8000hz" mice. A regular 1000Hz gaming mouse is perfectly happy on a chipset port.

If you are getting this "ding dong" sound Windows makes when you connect a mouse to a USB port (the "USB device detected" sound) at random times, this might be the issue. I don't think AMD have actually explained the issue, but people who have tried to debug this claim that the CPU sometimes just takes too long to process USB packets, which can obviously cause mouse skips, and sometimes it takes so long to process them that the USB controller itself will time out and cause a disconnect/reconnect.

In any event, CPU ports are an AMD feature intended to allow full saturation of USB bandwidth for SSDs. Your mouse, keyboard, mic, headset, etc, have really no business being connected to those ports. The latency difference of chipset vs CPU port for input is in the microsecond ballbark, which means it doesn't even matter.
Interesting.

So far I've tried 2 different motherboards for my Ryzen 5600x (ASUS TUF B550 Gaming Plus, ASUS ROG B550-F). So far, I think I got lucky and avoided the early editions of B550 boards, which had the more serious (unusable) USB issues- disconnects, port failure/conflicts.

My boards' USB devices do seem to have a weird sluggishness occassionally that I don't remember having on my older Intel desktop. Those USB slots were pretty much indistinguishable from one another.

I've tried several different during the last year (all wireless), and on all of them, I notice that I absolutely cannot aim in FPS games when using any of the ports on the back of my MOBO. It doesn't matter if it was on a CPU port, 2.0/3.0, Type A, even if it had AMD Extensible Controller all to itself, anytime I use anything except one of my two case front panel ports (3.0 ports, Corsair 5000D Airflow Case), I can't aim at all!

Right now, I'm using a Razer Viper V2 Pro with the 4K HZ polling dongle, and like the other mice, I have to use a front panel port.

I'm hoping this is a B550 board thing, and not the CPU itself.

Found a very nice deal for an ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII HERO and thought it would be the perfect chance to try a non-B550 board. Hopefully I can utilize a USB 3.0 port on this board to work well with mice.

Sebichek45
Posts: 23
Joined: 01 Dec 2022, 08:06

Re: Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Post by Sebichek45 » 11 Feb 2023, 10:56

Shade7 wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 04:04
RealNC wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 05:34
Shade7 wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 00:40
I'm curious why my mouse performs better with a chipset port. Is it mainly to avoid clashing with onboard audio (CPU by default)?
It appears to be a bug in the CPU itself. This also caused full USB disconnects when using fast USB storage devices (like an SSD in a USB enclosure.) AMD have so far only mitigated the issues with AGESA updates, but it appears it's not really fixable.

So it appears CPU connected ports are best used for storage devices while input devices should be put on chipset ports. I believe the recommendation to use a CPU port for mice was for those "8000hz" mice. A regular 1000Hz gaming mouse is perfectly happy on a chipset port.

If you are getting this "ding dong" sound Windows makes when you connect a mouse to a USB port (the "USB device detected" sound) at random times, this might be the issue. I don't think AMD have actually explained the issue, but people who have tried to debug this claim that the CPU sometimes just takes too long to process USB packets, which can obviously cause mouse skips, and sometimes it takes so long to process them that the USB controller itself will time out and cause a disconnect/reconnect.

In any event, CPU ports are an AMD feature intended to allow full saturation of USB bandwidth for SSDs. Your mouse, keyboard, mic, headset, etc, have really no business being connected to those ports. The latency difference of chipset vs CPU port for input is in the microsecond ballbark, which means it doesn't even matter.
Interesting.

So far I've tried 2 different motherboards for my Ryzen 5600x (ASUS TUF B550 Gaming Plus, ASUS ROG B550-F). So far, I think I got lucky and avoided the early editions of B550 boards, which had the more serious (unusable) USB issues- disconnects, port failure/conflicts.

My boards' USB devices do seem to have a weird sluggishness occassionally that I don't remember having on my older Intel desktop. Those USB slots were pretty much indistinguishable from one another.

I've tried several different during the last year (all wireless), and on all of them, I notice that I absolutely cannot aim in FPS games when using any of the ports on the back of my MOBO. It doesn't matter if it was on a CPU port, 2.0/3.0, Type A, even if it had AMD Extensible Controller all to itself, anytime I use anything except one of my two case front panel ports (3.0 ports, Corsair 5000D Airflow Case), I can't aim at all!

Right now, I'm using a Razer Viper V2 Pro with the 4K HZ polling dongle, and like the other mice, I have to use a front panel port.

I'm hoping this is a B550 board thing, and not the CPU itself.

Found a very nice deal for an ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII HERO and thought it would be the perfect chance to try a non-B550 board. Hopefully I can utilize a USB 3.0 port on this board to work well with mice.
What’s your bios settings with b550 board?

Bloedboer
Posts: 16
Joined: 14 Nov 2021, 07:43

Re: Help with strange latency problem related to audio

Post by Bloedboer » 15 Feb 2023, 05:33

Same Headset as op. Just bought this:
https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B073ZDDTH2?ref ... E_DDE_dt_1

Running on onboard audio. Maybe something wrong with the usb dac?

Post Reply