Sweaty Optimization Guide (Low Input Lag/High FPS/Competitive Gaming)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Sirito

Re: Sweaty Optimization Guide (Low Input Lag/High FPS/Competitive Gaming)

Post by Sirito » 07 Feb 2023, 18:28

dannyoceanic wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 16:58
Sirito wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 16:27
dannyoceanic wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 14:43
Can anyone confirm if this guide works for valorant and has any impact on that swammy feeling?
I tried bios and windows tweaks, I had some good games on valorant today (currently immo 1 73rr) after these tweaks but the game is running normally so I don't know if it's a good day for me or the tweaks made a thing, I got some fps boost I think because of bios tweaks, can you tell me what do you mean by swammy feeling?
My system runs a steady 240 Hz and internet connection is solid with 15-25 Ms ping depending on what server I play, based in EU. Peaked imo 1 in Act 3 and currently on my way to ASC 1. Was global on CS some years ago. Thanks for the reply, I will test the things you mentioned on my system as well :)

I hope I can explain the swammy feeling that it makes some sense:
I have situations in the game during gun fights in which I start shooting significantly earlier then the opponent, for example I am 1-2 m away from enemy, I start shooting with a frenzy in this case and I get killed after emptying my whole clip. The enemy is clearly in front of me and the shoots couldn't have gone any other way then hitting him, to my disappointment the damage report only shows 1-2 body hits in some instances.

Sometimes I got the vandal out they are 5-6 m away and I should have gotten awarded the kill because I start shooting earlier then my opponent but some shots aren't counted and I hit him for 3 hits and he hits me for 4.

In both cases while playing CS GO I always would have gotten those kills with any weapon. Imagine you start shooting before the other player, even if it's for 1s and you got better ping then the other person, any other case then him headshoting you or your aim being off, you always should get awarded the kill.

Sorry for the long post, maybe I explained it good enough for you to understand what I mean.
For sure I have tried many fixes to get a smoother feeling to this game, it way felt way better in beta then after it was released
Same thing happens with me but I was always blaming my 60 ms because I live in north Africa, I'm surprised that happens to you with 15 ms!!

dannyoceanic

Post by dannyoceanic » 07 Feb 2023, 19:38

I am no expert, but your 60ms shouldn't be the problem of the swammy feeling.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one experiencing those gun fights. Maybe OPs suggestions will help with the issue. Otherwise I guess we will have to wait until riot finally admits this as a problem and will fix it.

Edit: So far I have read that either riots servers are the problem since it is supposed to be 128 tick which it isn't. They have 3 games happening on the same server while CS for example has one game with 64 Ticks. I never had those problems with CS GO.

Or it's the netcode in itself because you first send the information to the server and it rewinds what happens server side. So maybe the server overloads and you get a small DC which you aren't even aware of and the server predicts what would have happen before you DCed, so your shots land in the Nirvana. Ping difference to opponent might be an issue here as well.

Both examples I mentioned are things that I have read and it might be something very different, but in some gun fights it feels like there is something wrong with this game.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 07 Feb 2023, 21:56

Alright- I've been trying some of the settings throughout the day, and wanted to give my first impressions for Valorant.

I'm liking the linked profile for Nvidia Profile Inspector, game seems to run smoothly- no graphical aberrations/hitches so far. FPS seems stable as well. Only thing I changed from the profile was allowing Gsync+Vsync. On 360Hz- that setup with Nvidia Reflex, seems to give a good consistent experience in Valorant. with too many abilities on screen, maintaining 360+ frames gets a little difficult.

Will continue going through some of the tweaks. This a quite a stacked guide :shock:

Some of the other tweaks seem to be aimed at the older Windows builds and definitely a little overkill. I'm on a Ryzen system and only play Valorant at the moment. I think I've posted on this before, but wanted to quickly mention it here for whoever asked earlier today- Valorant is very sensitive to changes (Bios/OS/Software). The game is optimized to run smoothly with a standard Windows install in mind, uses movement prediction to compensate for network conditions/system latency/hit-reg.

Applying too many tweaks might give less latency on the player's end, but you risk ending up with wonky gameplay when you throw the game's prediction systems out of whack. The game really seems to enjoy stability. A lot of people have reported the game feeling "smoother" + "in sync" after 'untweaking' their system by turning off XMP/DOCP and CPU overclocks.

One thing I definitely am interested in trying is the audio latency program (REAL). Has anyone used this program with Valorant? I'm concerned the anticheat will auto-close it when I launch Valorant.

yeesecretalias

Post by yeesecretalias » 07 Feb 2023, 23:55

Some quick notes as I don't have the time to go into detail right now.

1. Yes the guide is big but you don't really need to read most of it. The [Step by step] section covers everything you need and it's a 15 step process that takes an hour or two after a fresh OS install at most. It's not time consuming. If you're going to invest hundreds/thousands of hours into gaming as a hobby you might as well make it enjoyable and optimal (my line of reasoning). If you have a spare SSD and a bit of spare time, I'd definitely recommend trying it out ;) .

2. Regarding newer Windows versions and how timers work on them - I don't know whether all the tweaks apply to Win11 or newer editions. I have tested them on Atlas 1803 as that is the desired version for my gaming goals (low latency + old timer + compatible with everything so far). You are free to try whatever you want and there is a high chance of it working, but there are no guarantees. Try / test with objective numbers yourself is the best method. Stock Windows however, sucks for gaming purposes so you should at least consider a custom gaming OS like Atlas / ReviOS to name a few which debloats a lot of things by default.

3. I can't determine whether it fixes the floaty / delayed / poor mouse input for your specific game. I can benchmark them for frametimes/fps/estimated input lag however. For what its worth, all my games run exactly the same, with the same smooth instant mouse feel where my crosshair has very minor perceptible delay from my hand movement. It's enough for me to get decent ranked scores in my fav aimlab/kovaaks scenarios and play well in my fav games - a significant improvement over my existing setup which had noticeable stutter/delay.
i7-13700k @ 5.7GHz, GeForce RTX™ 3070 GAMING OC 8G (rev. 2.0) - Gigabyte, MSI PRO Z690-A DDR5, 32GB DDR5-6000, Samsung NVMe M.2 980 1TB, Acer Nitro XV252QF @ 390hz, Razer Viper 8k @ 8khz, Artisan Hayate Otsu Soft XL / Artisan Shidenkai, AtlasOS 1803

yeesecretalias#5481 on Discord

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 11 Feb 2023, 01:09

Delete
Last edited by Tuhin Lavania on 11 Feb 2023, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 11 Feb 2023, 01:09

yeesecretalias wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 23:55

1. Yes the guide is big but you don't really need to read most of it. The [Step by step] section covers everything you need and it's a 15 step process that takes an hour or two after a fresh OS install at most. It's not time consuming. If you're going to invest hundreds/thousands of hours into gaming as a hobby you might as well make it enjoyable and optimal (my line of reasoning). If you have a spare SSD and a bit of spare time, I'd definitely recommend trying it out ;) .

2. Regarding newer Windows versions and how timers work on them - I don't know whether all the tweaks apply to Win11 or newer editions. I have tested them on Atlas 1803 as that is the desired version for my gaming goals (low latency + old timer + compatible with everything so far). You are free to try whatever you want and there is a high chance of it working, but there are no guarantees. Try / test with objective numbers yourself is the best method. Stock Windows however, sucks for gaming purposes so you should at least consider a custom gaming OS like Atlas / ReviOS to name a few which debloats a lot of things by default.

3. I can't determine whether it fixes the floaty / delayed / poor mouse input for your specific game. I can benchmark them for frametimes/fps/estimated input lag however. For what its worth, all my games run exactly the same, with the same smooth instant mouse feel where my crosshair has very minor perceptible delay from my hand movement. It's enough for me to get decent ranked scores in my fav aimlab/kovaaks scenarios and play well in my fav games - a significant improvement over my existing setup which had noticeable stutter/delay.
What DPC latency are you able to achieve on Atlas 1803 ? I saw your latencymon screenshots and the latency is quite good but that is Windows 8.
Im thinking to give Atlas OS a try if i can get the DPC latency down to what i currently can achieve on a Windows 10 21H2.

yeesecretalias

Post by yeesecretalias » 11 Feb 2023, 17:02

Tuhin Lavania wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 01:09
yeesecretalias wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 23:55

What DPC latency are you able to achieve on Atlas 1803 ? I saw your latencymon screenshots and the latency is quite good but that is Windows 8.
Im thinking to give Atlas OS a try if i can get the DPC latency down to what i currently can achieve on a Windows 10 21H2.
I am on Win10 1803 (Atlas), Latencymon just giving the incorrect OS reading (possibly due to some other tweaks).
Attachments
WinVer.PNG
WinVer.PNG (180.05 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
i7-13700k @ 5.7GHz, GeForce RTX™ 3070 GAMING OC 8G (rev. 2.0) - Gigabyte, MSI PRO Z690-A DDR5, 32GB DDR5-6000, Samsung NVMe M.2 980 1TB, Acer Nitro XV252QF @ 390hz, Razer Viper 8k @ 8khz, Artisan Hayate Otsu Soft XL / Artisan Shidenkai, AtlasOS 1803

yeesecretalias#5481 on Discord

Sirito

Post by Sirito » 13 Feb 2023, 20:54

Sirito wrote:
dannyoceanic wrote:
Can anyone confirm if this guide works for valorant and has any impact on that swammy feeling?
I tried bios and windows tweaks, I had some good games on valorant today (currently immo 1 73rr) after these tweaks but the game is running normally so I don't know if it's a good day for me or the tweaks made a thing, I got some fps boost I think because of bios tweaks, can you tell me what do you mean by swammy feeling?
I want to give an update after almost a week trying only bios, nvidia profile inspector, msi mode for gpu and best core for gpu tweaks.

Valorant still runs insanely good and I hit 300 fps, on average 250 fps with i5 10400, my fps before the guide was like 140-190.
I think the major performance hit was the bios tweaks as I turned many power saving settings off as mentioned in the guide and also changed the ram freq to 3200MHz

Note:I'm running win11 latest stable channel and still didn't try a custom os, I may try revi 11 in the future

My problem with Valorant was that enemies can insta one tap me leaving me with almost zero reaction time to react on them even though I've been immortal 1-2 for 8 continuous acts and this is the only problem I had with Valorant.

So you need to know that my point isn't on input lag, heavy feeling or mouse lag etc.

In the last week I played good games where I fragged +20 kills and bad games where I ended with negative kd but the most important thing that the bad games were really because I whiffed, not because I had no time to even aim or whiff

Maybe this happened because of the boost in frames, or maybe my internet became suddenly good out of nowhere?, I really don't know so I keep testing.

I hope it lasts, Thanks so much op.

Zodasaur

Post by Zodasaur » 14 Feb 2023, 04:34

Sirito wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:54
Sirito wrote:
dannyoceanic wrote:
I want to give an update after almost a week trying only bios, nvidia profile inspector, msi mode for gpu and best core for gpu tweaks.

Valorant still runs insanely good and I hit 300 fps, on average 250 fps with i5 10400, my fps before the guide was like 140-190.
I think the major performance hit was the bios tweaks as I turned many power saving settings off as mentioned in the guide and also changed the ram freq to 3200MHz

Note:I'm running win11 latest stable channel and still didn't try a custom os, I may try revi 11 in the future

My problem with Valorant was that enemies can insta one tap me leaving me with almost zero reaction time to react on them even though I've been immortal 1-2 for 8 continuous acts and this is the only problem I had with Valorant.

So you need to know that my point isn't on input lag, heavy feeling or mouse lag etc.

In the last week I played good games where I fragged +20 kills and bad games where I ended with negative kd but the most important thing that the bad games were really because I whiffed, not because I had no time to even aim or whiff

Maybe this happened because of the boost in frames, or maybe my internet became suddenly good out of nowhere?, I really don't know so I keep testing.

Compare your Valorant tapping against a single player game so you know if you're getting tapped because of your internet connection or your hardware configuration.

Sirito

Post by Sirito » 14 Feb 2023, 06:40

Zodasaur wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 04:34
Sirito wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 20:54
Sirito wrote:
dannyoceanic wrote:

Compare your Valorant tapping against a single player game so you know if you're getting tapped because of your internet connection or your hardware configuration.
I didn't mention that my ping is the same with 0 packetloss, is there something else to look at beside the ping?
I play some offline games and I have zero issues with them but they're not fps, what fps single player game will simulate this situation?