Is there such a thing as the perfect configuration?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
AlphaZero6ix

Re: Is there such a thing as the perfect configuration?

Post by AlphaZero6ix » 23 May 2022, 19:20

So already, there are varying opinions on what the set up should be, so I take it there really isn't a right or wrong way? It just depends on "personal preference" at the end of the day?

I just turned GSync back ON and VSync to ON, with LLM to ON with Reflex + Boost, and framerate cap of 237.

Somehow, Reflex automatically sets (maxes) the framerate to 225, even when I have it capped at 237. Does anyone know why that is? Is that a limitation of Reflex at high fps settings?

I remember I used to have this set up before, and judging by the "feel" of it, it really doesn't feel or look any different than when I have it set to GSync OFF + VSync OFF, LLM OFF and Reflex OFF.

With ^^ setup, I can cap framerate to 240 or even slightly lower, and my frames may drop here and there. But it's not *that* bad.

I guess another question would be, without having access to the proper testing methodologies, is there really any way a laymen player can tell the real effects of different configuration setups?

Boop

Post by Boop » 23 May 2022, 19:37

AlphaZero6ix wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:20
I do have ELMB turned ON for my monitor. Does that mean, if I have ELMB turned on, then I should set my FPS limit to my monitor refresh rate?
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe you can use ELMB and GSYNC at the same time.

If you want the ELMB/Strobing benefits and smoothest gameplay then use 240Hz with 240FPS cap (Apex automatically matches FPS cap to monitor refresh, no need to do anything).

See this thread by Chief (HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3555

Normally I play with Strobing enabled and uncapped FPS with VSYNC OFF for games with super high FPS.

With Apex I play with Strobing enabled with VSYNC OFF and Apex automatically sets my FPS cap to 240 to match my monitor's refresh rate. I haven't really noticed enough screen tearing to care about trying to use a SYNC technology.

AlphaZero6ix

Post by AlphaZero6ix » 23 May 2022, 19:55

Boop wrote:
23 May 2022, 19:37
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe you can use ELMB and GSYNC at the same time.
The monitor OSD allows me to use (turn ON/OFF) ELMB whether or not Adaptive-Sync is turned ON or not. The only thing that gets greyed out is Overdrive. Overdrive is disabled when I turn on ELMB.
Boop wrote:
23 May 2022, 19:37
With Apex I play with Strobing enabled and Apex automatically sets my FPS cap to 240 to match my monitor's refresh rate. I haven't really noticed enough screen tearing to care about trying to use a SYNC technology.
Can you explain what you mean by Apex automatically sets your FPS cap to 240?

Boop

Post by Boop » 23 May 2022, 20:04

AlphaZero6ix wrote:
23 May 2022, 19:55

The monitor OSD allows me to use (turn ON/OFF) ELMB whether or not Adaptive-Sync is turned ON or not. The only thing that gets greyed out is Overdrive. Overdrive is disabled when I turn on ELMB.
That's cool! I had no idea monitors like that existed. :)
Can you explain what you mean by Apex automatically sets your FPS cap to 240?
If I hook up a 240Hz monitor and then launch Apex the game caps my FPS to 240. [VSYNC DISABLED]

If you want to hit 300 FPS with a 240Hz monitor, then you need to use the launch options in Steam/Origin to uncap or set a custom cap. [VSYNC DISABLED]

If I hook up a 360Hz monitor and then launch Apex the game caps my FPS to 300 (hard limit). [VSYNC DISABLED]

Apex matches the FPS cap to your Desktop refresh rate when possible.
Last edited by Boop on 23 May 2022, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

AlphaZero6ix

Post by AlphaZero6ix » 23 May 2022, 20:14

OH, so when you mean "automatically" you mean, not to use any startup options at all (i.e. +fps_max)

Boop

Post by Boop » 23 May 2022, 20:19

AlphaZero6ix wrote:
23 May 2022, 20:14
OH, so when you mean "automatically" you mean, not to use any startup options at all (i.e. +fps_max)
Yep. It seems like capping at 237FPS is the way to go for you since you can do VRR + Strobing.

Now you know why everyone has a different configuration/recommendation :D

AlphaZero6ix

Post by AlphaZero6ix » 23 May 2022, 20:25

Boop wrote:
23 May 2022, 20:19
AlphaZero6ix wrote:
23 May 2022, 20:14
Yep. It seems like capping at 237FPS is the way to go for you since you can do VRR + Strobing.

Now you know why everyone has a different configuration/recommendation :D
Oh man! That's what I was afraid of.

So......

GSync : ON
VSync : ON
LLM in NVCP : ON
Frame cap : 237

Now...with regards to NVidia Reflex though, when I enable this, FPS cap is hard set to 225, even when I cap at 237.

Anyone know why?