Is there such a thing as the perfect configuration?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
AlphaZero6ix

Is there such a thing as the perfect configuration?

Post by AlphaZero6ix » 22 May 2022, 12:40

I apologize in advance if this type of question has been asked & answered over and over again, but I've read through a lot of posts and FAQs from BB and somehow, and yet I'm still unsure what the optimal setting should be for the least amount of input lag for my gaming experience.

I mainly game Apex Legends, so I'm aware that the game engine isn't the most optimized but I'm in search of a concrete configuration, once and for all, that yields the best performance.

This is my PC spec

Monitor : VG259QM (240Hz, not OC'd to 280Hz)
CPU : 5900X
GPU : 3060Ti
RAM : 32 GB 3600Mhz CL16
MB : MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK

Right now, I'm running with GSync/VSync OFF + LLM OFF + Reflex OFF. Ingame frame limiter = 0; RTSS frame limiter to 240. Is this the correct setup?

Should I be running with GSync OFF or ON? If ON, that means VSync ON as well, right?

If I turn LLM ON, do I set it to ON or Ultra? With GSync OFF or ON?

What about Reflex? Does Reflex matter if I run Gsync OFF?

I'd like to squeeze the best performance I can out of the gear that I have, so if that means I should cap 180 fps, so be it. Or if I should run GSync/VSync ON + LLM + Reflex for 225 fps, then so be it.

There just seems to be a lot of information out there, and some of it, seem to contradict each other, so I'm not sure which source to believe. From the reddit posts, BB forum posts, YT videos from "reputable tech" channels, it just seems like there's a lot of information overload, and I am thoroughly confused.

I hope someone can help set me straight so I'm not tinkering with my configuration every week. LOL!

kokkatc

Re: Is there such a thing as the perfect configuration?

Post by kokkatc » 23 May 2022, 13:50

If you want lowest latency, here are the best settings.

Gsync/Vsync off in NVCP
Nvidia Reflex ON (IN GAME)
FPS Cap - Depends on system. 240 is a good place to start but you have to check your gpu utilization. If it ever hits or goes above 97%, you'll incur a heavy input lag penalty. So make sure your GPU util is always under 97%. You can play around w/ different FPS caps to see what your system can/can't handle. If capping your frames, always use the in game FPS limiter. If you use a 3rd party tool to cap frames like RTSS or even nvidia, you'll incur an input lag penalty.
LLM - If using reflex, it doesn't matter what your LLM setting is as reflex will override this. Personally, I always set LLM to 1 for all of my games. If the game has reflex, I'll set it to ON.

There are also other bare minimum tweaks you should do for every game. Make sure your nvidia profile in NVCP is set to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' for the game you're playing. Also make sure your OS power plan is configured properly. Bare minimum it should be set to HIGH Performance w/ all USB and PCI power saving settings disabled.

Boop

Post by Boop » 23 May 2022, 16:29

With your CPU/GPU combo, I would just uncap to 300fps and make sure Reflex is ON + Boost. If Apex does not feel smooth then turn on G-Sync and cap the FPS to 237 @ 240hz using the in-game framerate limit launch option.

If you run the game at 1728x1080 (stretch 16:10 or blackbars), 1440x1080 (stretch 4:3 or blackbars), 1920x1080, all LOW settings with textures High, then your GPU usage will probably only be really high during the initial drop phase of the BR game mode. After that you'll be 200-300fps most of the time.

If you like using BFI/Strobing/Dyac display techonologies then FPS = Refresh Rate is the way to go.

AlphaZero6ix

Post by AlphaZero6ix » 23 May 2022, 17:14

kokkatc wrote:
23 May 2022, 13:50
FPS Cap - Depends on system. 240 is a good place to start but you have to check your gpu utilization. If it ever hits or goes above 97%, you'll incur a heavy input lag penalty. So make sure your GPU util is always under 97%. You can play around w/ different FPS caps to see what your system can/can't handle.
I've noticed that my GPU sits around 60-70% most of the time. If it does hit the 90% range its quite rare, and it does hit 99% for a split second once in awhile. Does that mean I should pick/choose an FPS where I NEVER hit 99% EVER? Or is that once-in-a-blue-moon instance negligible?
kokkatc wrote:
If capping your frames, always use the in game FPS limiter. If you use a 3rd party tool to cap frames like RTSS or even nvidia, you'll incur an input lag penalty.
Oh? I was told RTSS frame limiter was a better limiter for the game since it gave more consistent & stable frametime? Or is that what you mean that RTSS "has its benefit", but at the expense of input lag penalty?

AlphaZero6ix

Post by AlphaZero6ix » 23 May 2022, 17:16

kokkatc wrote:
Gsync/Vsync off in NVCP
Also, by Gsync/Vsync OFF, I meant Gsync OFF & VSync OFF, not GSync ON / VSync OFF.

Is that also what you meant?

Just wanted to clarify.

AlphaZero6ix

Post by AlphaZero6ix » 23 May 2022, 17:20

Boop wrote:
23 May 2022, 16:29
With your CPU/GPU combo, I would just uncap to 300fps and make sure Reflex is ON + Boost. If Apex does not feel smooth then turn on G-Sync and cap the FPS to 237 @ 240hz using the in-game framerate limit launch option.
I've tried running uncapped and I do see the game being at 300fps for most of the time, but I see it dip down to 220, even in the high 190's sometimes. Isn't this not preferable?

I was always under the assumption that aside from "hitting" a high FPS number, the goal is also to maintain a consistent FPS target.
Boop wrote:
23 May 2022, 16:29
If you like using BFI/Strobing/Dyac display techonologies then FPS = Refresh Rate is the way to go.
I do have ELMB turned ON for my monitor. Does that mean, if I have ELMB turned on, then I should set my FPS limit to my monitor refresh rate?

xPrzybyLx

Post by xPrzybyLx » 23 May 2022, 17:26

I will present You with my approach.

Figure out what is the lowest fps drop when playing the game. Let's say it's 160 fps, so cap fps to this value and enable Gsync.

This way Your game will have almost always the 160 fps. Which means You will have smooth gameplay and will be easier for You to be better with aiming.

Lowest possible latency when You have high fps variance is not always "the best way".

Just my two cents.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 May 2022, 17:32

AlphaZero6ix wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:16
kokkatc wrote:
Gsync/Vsync off in NVCP
Also, by Gsync/Vsync OFF, I meant Gsync OFF & VSync OFF, not GSync ON / VSync OFF.

Is that also what you meant?

Just wanted to clarify.
I prefer GSYNC ON / VSYNC ON + framerate cap.

The problem is there's a latency differential between "Framerate inside VRR range" and "Framerate outside VRR range". The latencyfeel of GSYNC is different from the latencyfeel of VSYNC OFF, so you don't want the yo-yo transition between the two.

Framerate caps are sometimes inaccurate, so you need to add a little cap margin to it (e.g. 3fps below is the standard, but could be anywhere from ~0.5fps below to more than 10fps below, depending on GSYNC Hz) to keep frame rates inside the VRR range.

If you hate capping and like to let the framerate vary, then purchase more Hz range, e.g. 360Hz monitor, so capping becomes less needed when framerates fully breathe inside VRR range.

There are some pros of uncapped GSYNC + VSYNC OFF, but the disadvantages generally outweigh the advantages for me, as the framerate fluctuations causes sudden latencyfeel differences between "inside VRR range" versus "outside VRR range". Latency yo-yo effects are worse than consistent latency in the middle of the averge, creating aimtrainer overshoot/undershoot effects far more often. You don't want that VRR inconsistency in esports.

It depends on your priorities...
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AlphaZero6ix

Post by AlphaZero6ix » 23 May 2022, 17:36

xPrzybyLx wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:26
Figure out what is the lowest fps drop when playing the game. Let's say it's 160 fps, so cap fps to this value and enable Gsync.

This way Your game will have almost always the 160 fps. Which means You will have smooth gameplay and will be easier for You to be better with aiming.

Lowest possible latency when You have high fps variance is not always "the best way".

Just my two cents.
Thank you for your feedback!

See, the problem I've had with this before was, for example, I'll cap my FPS to 240, then the FPS would dip (variance) to like 210-220 ish.

Then when I set my FPS to 220, the dip may go to 190ish. If I set my FPS to 180, then if there are dips, the dips will be 150ish.

So my uneducated understanding of this is that there will always be FPS variances?

I'll also say that most of the FPS drop happens during the dropship (which is normal), but in game, the FPS is pretty consistent for the most part.

xPrzybyLx

Post by xPrzybyLx » 23 May 2022, 17:55

Yeah, only look for fps drops when You have already landed. Skip the ones in the dropship or during landing.