1000hz Mouse Question

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
SVSQUVSH

1000hz Mouse Question

Post by SVSQUVSH » 26 May 2022, 08:49

I have a question about mouse polling rate and input lag.

When I slowely move my mouse, it doesnt reach 1000hz. It hovers anywhere between about 20hz-200hz when doing slow movements. For example when I tryna do precise sniping shots.

Now my question is: Will i get the input lag of 20hz-200hz?

Logically I would say, yes. But I'm not 100% into mice and how they work. So I thaught maybe someone who knows alot about gaming mice can clarify me here.

I always felt like I have less input lag when moving the mouse fast. Maybe its simply because the mouse quickly "climbs" to 1000hz then?

(I will attach some pictures of "mouse tester" so you can see my mouse graphs. I will try to move the mouse slowly with small pauses between each mouse move, like I would snipe in a game.)
Slow Movement  (800 DPI)
Slow Movement (800 DPI)
Low Pollingrate.png (87.22 KiB) Viewed 2169 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 1000hz Mouse Question

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2022, 15:56

SVSQUVSH wrote:
26 May 2022, 08:49

When I slowely move my mouse, it doesnt reach 1000hz. It hovers anywhere between about 20hz-200hz when doing slow movements. For example when I tryna do precise sniping shots.
A mouse Hz automatically goes down when a 1000 Hz mouse is doing less than 1000 pixels per second.
It even throttles the frame rate of your sniper tracking.

That's laws of physics of using old esports recommendation of 400dpi or 800dpi

Solving this requires higher DPI, so you can keep doing 1000 mouse movements per second even with slow sniper tracking.

Use 1600dpi or 3200dpi and low in-game sensitivity to fix this. This makes sniper tracking much smoother, with the ability to slew your gun at subpixel increments (in some games that supports it). Some older games won't work well with the high DPI, but newer games will be fine. If you tweak correctly, the mouse movement will be the same speed when tracking as a sniper -- except tracking now goes up in Hz (and higher frame rate too!).

If your mouse can't do 1600dpi or 3200dpi well, upgrade your mouse to a new sensor (e.g. 3399 will do 3200dpi much better than a lot of past sensors). Also, make sure your mouse is good enough for ultra-high-DPI operation, and keep your mouse feet clean regularly, to keep ultra-high-DPI operation reliably smooth and predictable.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

SVSQUVSH

Post by SVSQUVSH » 26 May 2022, 16:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
26 May 2022, 15:56
SVSQUVSH wrote:
26 May 2022, 08:49

A mouse Hz automatically goes down when a 1000 Hz mouse is doing less than 1000 pixels per second.
It even throttles the frame rate of your sniper tracking.

That's laws of physics of using old esports recommendation of 400dpi or 800dpi

Solving this requires higher DPI, so you can keep doing 1000 mouse movements per second even with slow sniper tracking.

Use 1600dpi or 3200dpi and low in-game sensitivity to fix this. This makes sniper tracking much smoother, with the ability to slew your gun at subpixel increments (in some games that supports it). Some older games won't work well with the high DPI, but newer games will be fine. If you tweak correctly, the mouse movement will be the same speed when tracking as a sniper -- except tracking now goes up in Hz (and higher frame rate too!).

If your mouse can't do 1600dpi or 3200dpi well, upgrade your mouse to a new sensor (e.g. 3399 will do 3200dpi much better than a lot of past sensors). Also, make sure your mouse is good enough for ultra-high-DPI operation, and keep your mouse feet clean regularly, to keep ultra-high-DPI operation reliably smooth and predictable.
Thank you! I tried 1600DPI and 3200DPI as you said and the problem is basically gone! Mouse feels MUCH more responsive when doing sniping. I tested it on Mouse Tester and other programs. I noticed the polling rate reaches more often 500Hz+.
But im not sure If my Mouse can handle 3200DPI because I think I saw weird mouse skipping... do you know a way to test that? 1600DPI is stable I think.

Brainlet

Post by Brainlet » 26 May 2022, 16:52

Polling rate is static. The reason you see dips in Mouse Tester is because the sensor didn't report any data to the MCU due to lack of motion, so there was no new data to poll and consequently Mouse Tester didn't receive any data either.
Now my question is: Will i get the input lag of 20hz-200hz?
Kind of, yes.

My general recommendation is to do this: https://github.com/BoringBoredom/PC-Opt ... on-Hub#dpi (CTRL+F: "Finding your individual approximate point of diminishing returns").
Starting point for beginners: PC Optimization Hub

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 May 2022, 17:39

SVSQUVSH wrote:
26 May 2022, 16:47
Thank you! I tried 1600DPI and 3200DPI as you said and the problem is basically gone! Mouse feels MUCH more responsive when doing sniping. I tested it on Mouse Tester and other programs. I noticed the polling rate reaches more often 500Hz+.
But im not sure If my Mouse can handle 3200DPI because I think I saw weird mouse skipping... do you know a way to test that? 1600DPI is stable I think.
You are welcome!

Glad my tip solved the problem. But few mice do a really good job of 3200dpi. For now, stick to 1600dpi.

For 3200dpi, you need to really optimize your setup:
- Ultra smooth 3200dpi-capable mouse sensor
- No fake interpolation in mouse sensor to get 3200dpi
- Software that doesn't choke on high pollrates for ultraslow mouse movements
- Mousepad that is very 3200dpi-friendly (try different mousepads)
- Clean mouse feet.

For now, 1600dpi is best.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mybad

Post by mybad » 26 May 2022, 22:53

hey guys, does someone knows a mouse with open source firmware? it will be interesting looks at and rewrite the code.

SVSQUVSH

Post by SVSQUVSH » 29 May 2022, 12:58

mybad wrote:
26 May 2022, 22:53
hey guys, does someone knows a mouse with open source firmware? it will be interesting looks at and rewrite the code.
As far as I know, there is no mouse brand that provides open source mouse firmware. But there are people that made costum source codes themselves.

mybad

Post by mybad » 06 Jun 2022, 22:02

What hardware do people use for custom firmware? Do you have someone's internet links?