MB fan controller polling causing mouse lag

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
3xil3

MB fan controller polling causing mouse lag

Post by 3xil3 » 26 May 2022, 13:55

If you use MB onboard fan controller every time it hit set point it will cause CPU polling and result mouse feel off. I went in set DC static speed per fan and no more weird mouse when poling fan speed change due to temp changes. Also if you have 3 points like this move them all way back.
Last edited by 3xil3 on 26 May 2022, 14:15, edited 4 times in total.

InputLagger

Re: MB fan controller polling causing mouse lag

Post by InputLagger » 26 May 2022, 14:00

Did you mean CPU fan speed settings?

3xil3

Post by 3xil3 » 26 May 2022, 14:16

Any fans you connect and control in BIOS.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 26 May 2022, 17:11

It's nice that you are sharing your every theory with us, but please go back to your last one and either close it or put a disclaimer saying that the lag came back.

Today you're doing Bios tweaks, tomorrow you might start advising people on buying extra/other hardware. I know I'd fall for those threads 3 years ago when this lag all started, and I did, and I ended up burning a lot of cash for absolutely 0 benefit.
Rog Strix Z79i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

mybad

Post by mybad » 26 May 2022, 23:08

this happens, because we don't have a place where we keep summarising what we are trying before.
when you create that place, do you know what happens next? you will see as you try the same things, again and again, running in a circle.
I didn't see anything new solution since 2010. Everything was written in this forum people tried between 2002-2010 years :lol:.

TN_fun

Post by TN_fun » 27 May 2022, 09:45

Slender wrote:
27 May 2022, 07:05
MegaMelmek wrote:
27 May 2022, 03:51
3xil3 wrote:
26 May 2022, 14:16
All your tweeks will not work for more than two hours…
You need start belive that the issue is outside the PC and software (internet included too) thats important…
the sect of witnesses EMI
Say he's wrong.
Absolutely no one bothers with such nonsense, no one changes the fan settings, and for sure, in the normal place, these settings do not affect the mouse

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 27 May 2022, 10:40

Slender wrote:
27 May 2022, 07:05
MegaMelmek wrote:
27 May 2022, 03:51
3xil3 wrote:
26 May 2022, 14:16
All your tweeks will not work for more than two hours…
You need start belive that the issue is outside the PC and software (internet included too) thats important…
the sect of witnesses EMI
I do not say EMI…
If we can say that electric is like fuel and this fuel make the PC run…. If is bad fuel then PC/ car will not go smooth right?
EMI - Electro magnetic interference - i do not belive that this is the issue for us one bit….
Electric is the issue because thats the only input energy to my PC…
There is no issue with PC at all (tested)

Sad thing is that in 2022 ppl have hard time solve input/output and start twisting things like EMI RFI and so on

xShino

Post by xShino » 27 May 2022, 10:46

I also believe that my "Smart Fan Tuning", or whatever it's called, creates more mouse lag than without the tuning. Maybe this is something similar.

This is also at least the second time someone claiming that tuning the fans or plugging the fans off helps with input lag. I've tried plugging my Case fans off but it didn't seem to make a difference at first sight - so I didn't look into it more.

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 27 May 2022, 11:01

Just make it clear basic case fan DC 12V - the power is coming out of the PSU DC 12V to ATX connector
if fan needs spins faster just draw more amps at 12V

Mouse is powered DC 5V - the 5V DC is coming from PSU to ATX connector

How the hell 5V and 12V can even be afected by each other?
Did your mouse work smooth when you has the fan on high spin or low spin?

Eonds

Post by Eonds » 27 May 2022, 13:36

3xil3 wrote:
26 May 2022, 13:55
If you use MB onboard fan controller every time it hit set point it will cause CPU polling and result mouse feel off. I went in set DC static speed per fan and no more weird mouse when poling fan speed change due to temp changes. Also if you have 3 points like this move them all way back.
Two reasons.
1. DC means direct current which means it doesn't change voltage meaning there's less electrical disturbance than PWM (pulse width mode)
2. When you aren't using a fan curve the bios doesn't use SMI's. Smi's cause latency spikes.