Razer Viper 8k Firmware update

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
netarangi

Re: Razer Viper 8k Firmware update

Post by netarangi » 24 Jul 2022, 19:40

I also get the mouse shaking randomly when it's idle. Happens in bios too.

Haven't had a look at the firmware version but I bought it new about a week ago.
https://t.me/pump_upp

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 24 Jul 2022, 21:30

netarangi wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 19:40

Haven't had a look at the firmware version but I bought it new about a week ago.
Although, the recent razer HID driver in windows updates seems to negate the need to do that, which indicates to me they are active working on compat issues...

Firmware v1.02.00

https://rzr.to/etK7a | February 8, 2021
Unless I am missing something, that 2022 timestamp just means someone made a minor edit to the firmware updating process article.

I guess razer is still working on the product improvements, but I would return first and then think later and not take the chances.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jul 2022, 22:49

netarangi wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 19:40
1-pixel mouse pointer jittering / crawling randomly brownian-motion style?

Solution:

Check your mousepad too, AND check desk vibrations (e.g. actively-cooled tower PC on desk).

Sometimes it's so dark to infrared wavelengths that it's just picture noise to the mouse sensor (which is just a simple ultra high speed camera of a few pixels, often 20x230 or 32x32 or so pixels running at thousands of frames per second). Changing mouse pads often fixes the shaking-randomly effect.

Also, higher poll higher DPI can be more prone to jitter from weak reflections from mousepads (just a noisy picture to mouse sensor).

Different sensors have different sensitivities so you may need to try a couple brands of mousepads, to get jitter-free high-DPI high-poll operation.

Also if you eat a lot of chips and smear all over a glossy mousepad as you drag your mouse-holding wrist around, you might be changing your mousepad's reflectivity to the mouse sensor (again, it's a camera, and subject to image noise), and creating unexpected reflectivity effects for your mouse sensor.

Sometimes the visible-light texture of a mousepad is different in near-infrared wavelengths.

This is not a Razer-specific operation, but a problem of multithousand frame per second ultra high speed near-infrared camera that's part of the sensor in the Razer 8KHz -- you need a good mousepad that has relatively high contrast to a near-infrared camera, no choice -- so that the mouse firmware is getting grain-free noise-free mousepad images from the mouse sensor (aka 8000fps-20,000fps high speed low-rez camera)

Play the mousepad roulette to fix this! And makes sure your desk surface is vibration-free. Keep your mousepad feet clean, and don't put fan-running devices on the same surface as the mouse -- even vibrations from a fan can create jitter on ultra-high-sensitivity mice.
If you must put your desktop computer ON the same desk as your mousepad, then you must absolutely put some really damn good vibration-isolating softness under your computer feet! (of at least 2 kind -- hard rubber AND soft rubber/neoprene -- for the multiple harmonics that a computer emits into a desk surface)

You don't have to sabotage yourself down to only 400dpi or 800dpi in high-DPI-friendly games like Fornite just because you want to keep a crappy/worn/dirty mousepad or don't care about desk vibration hygeine.

Playing 3200dpi+ while concurrently running at 8000Hz requires a bit of mousepad care (selection/cleanliness/etc) and keeping vibrations away from your mousepad area.

You can also add some software-based jitter filtering (some mice sensors have that built in), but not everyone likes software based filtering or mouse-firmware-based jitter filtering and would rather optimize their desk instead. The rawest mouse input of the ultra high speed kind can have more jitter after all, so pick your poison -- want lag-increasing jitter cancellation in software -- or want to fix your mousepad IR-texture-visibility and desk vibrations instead?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 26 Jul 2022, 23:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 22:49
This happened distinctively after the firmware update though =\ Would the motion smoothing thing they have on 2/4k have anything to do with why people are not spotting this? I never used 8k extensively on returned mouse to get a chance to confirm that now that I think about it.

TBF if they managed to get wireless dongle to deliver, that would be the way to go because cord on this thing is something else.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jul 2022, 23:05

DPRTMELR wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 23:04
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 22:49
This happened distinctively after the firmware update though =\ Would the motion smoothing thing they have on 2/4k have anything to do with why people are not spotting this? I never used 8k extensively on updated firmware to get a chance to confirm that now that I think about it.

TBF if they managed to get wireless dongle to deliver, that would be the real to go because cord on this thing is something else.
Firmware-upgrade changes to mouse behaviors is rather annoying.

They probably tried to optimize behavior on one mousepad, causing its behavior to worsen on different mousepads.
This is endemic to all mouse manufacturers.

Hopefully Razer can fix this, or provide more configurable smoothing options.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 13 Aug 2022, 15:54

So hold off on the update?

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 13 Aug 2022, 16:43

I’d say.. hold off on synapse for now.

@chief thought this may interest you? https://youtu.be/00FJDex82Z8

All polls affected, 125 was the worst so better visibility when recording, fixed when unplugged and replugged *sometimes, due to this being intermittent.
Used the same USB ports over and over to ensure consistent results, yet something about simply unplugging and replugging the mouse causes not only these mouse issues, but on occasion keyboard stops registering input, until mouse unplugged and then plugged back in until it works again.
This behaviour seems to be worse on pcie usb.

Any questions, holler.

Edit. The pattern is always the same, whenever dpi is changed mouse goes to shit, resolved by unplugging or selecting any other polling rate in synapse, until next dpi change.
Last edited by Vocaleyes on 14 Aug 2022, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 13 Aug 2022, 21:24

Tried out the Viper 8K earlier this year. But, stopped using it, because sometimes clicks wouldn't register in-game (Valorant) once in a while. If I'm tapping, a certain click/shot wouldn't fire. Or, if I'm holding down mouse-1 to spray, sometimes it would let go after a few shots even though I'm still holding down the button.

It would occur very randomly... Maybe 2-3 times in a match (about the span of 1 hour). Couldn't continue to use it as it's gotten me killed a few times during very important moment.

Is this just related to a defective unit? Or could I somehow fix this?

I would RMA it, but I purchased this in "like new" condition from ebay. IDK if Razer would do anything about it.

I have tried different USB ports (disabling power-saving on USB hubs), updating firmware, etc.

Tried Raw Input Buffer in Valorant (helped with the common fps dropping issues, but not with my clicking issues)

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 17 Aug 2022, 10:34

evmadic wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 19:09
Razer has a new 4k hz wireless dongle for their pro series peripherals.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MouseReview/co ... t_4000_hz/
More good news for smoother gameplay at higher refresh rates.
Did you have a chance to try this out? Is Synapse required? I keep Synapse on my Streaming PC for updates and while I love Razer mice (just grabbed the DeathAdder V3 Pro which I like more than my Viper V2 Pro) I hate how intrusive the software is. Still a bit annoyed you can't save DPI settings to memory.

Was there a list anywhere out there on games that support higher polling? I should get my Dongle today to play around with.

evmadic

Post by evmadic » 17 Aug 2022, 15:03

Not yet. I play Quake Champions and not much else and afaik QC is one of the only games that supports 8khz without stability issues. Really waiting for more higher polling rate options to hit the market and still on my 240hz monitor at the moment (holding out for 500hz).

I haven't used a Razer product in a while so I can't speak to synapse. Ideally you should be able to set your mouse on whatever settings you want and then close the software without issue. It would be strange if you had to keep synapse open, or worse, connected to the razer synapse network to keep your mouse operating at the settings you want.
5800x3d, RTX 4070 ti, Acer Nitro XV252QF 390Hz
https://www.twitch.tv/evmadic