kernel timer latency too high! unable to game properly. please help!!

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
jonsnow

kernel timer latency too high! unable to game properly. please help!!

Post by jonsnow » 15 Jun 2022, 07:40

i have been having this issues where my pc lags and everything is blurry and dizzy and screen tearing everywhere. Whether i watch a video recording or utube it looks really bad resolution and get screen tearing. Only thing i could find out with a software was that my pc has high system latency and windows kernel latency high. So it affects my whole pc performance. Sometimes my pc would boot faster n sometimes it would take longer to boot into windows. I have already changed few parts and they been the same results. changed gpu and psu still looks the same and same lags. Now i am thinking if its a ssd issue or my mobo issue. How this all started is one day i was playing cod mw and then my game crashed and everything started to lag a looot. i could watch a video as the audio would crack. I tried with new windows n it was still the same then i used latencymon software to check which driver had more latency and kind of changed some drivers and it will a lot better as in usable but i can't play games or enjoy watching anything on this. it just looks so bad. so how do i fix this issue? it's been almost 3 years with this and i changed so many things but still same. anyone got any clue what could cause this high latencies?

Things i have tried:
clean install of windows many times on ssd
ddu gpu drivers,
updating drivers, chipset, bios
tried with different setting on bios including underclocking etc
got a new 144hz monitor
changed mouses,
changed gpu
tried with one ram
removed hhd n only with ssd
got a new thermal paste on cpu
tried only with ssd n hdd removed
updating windows ofc since 2020
still on windows 10
got a new psu

My system:
Ryzen 5 3600
Rtx 2060
Current gpu: gt 1030
B450 tomhawk max
nvme 512 gb transcend ssd 220s
corsair cx650 bronze psu
16 gigs ram 3200 mhz
Attachments
current kernel timer latency.png
current kernel timer latency.png (246.68 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
current dpc latency.png
current dpc latency.png (228.55 KiB) Viewed 3654 times

netarangi

Re: kernel timer latency too high! unable to game properly. please help!!

Post by netarangi » 16 Jun 2022, 19:45

Used msi util?
https://t.me/pump_upp

Sirito

Post by Sirito » 17 Jun 2022, 06:55

Download an app called dpc latency checker, just open it and then kernel latency will drop to 1 ms,
you don't need to start the app just open it.

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 25 Sep 2022, 01:50

Sirito wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 06:55
Download an app called dpc latency checker, just open it and then kernel latency will drop to 1 ms,
Why does this work?

Sirito

Post by Sirito » 28 Sep 2022, 17:27

Vocaleyes wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 01:50
Sirito wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 06:55
Why does this work?
I have no idea actually.

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 28 Sep 2022, 17:40

Well.. it does. xD

I've been playing around with this a lot since you brought it to my attention, and have recently discovered another pattern.

One of the mods here suggested I downloaded timer tool to lock in the timer for stability, I previously was using ISLC but both serve the same purpose on paper.

Timer tool does the job better. With ISLC running there is no observable impact on timer, regardless of situation, but timer tool in combination of the info you provided has yielded a significant pattern. And any pattern means a consistent result therefore confirmation of an replicable issue.

ANYWAY, here's a https://youtu.be/58BbG_F-Sgw to a make-shift video of what's going on (due to streamlabs having a big impact) but let me describe it first.

With DPC checker running (scanning or just app open is good enough as you previously mentioned), there is still fluctuations between 0.5 and 1.6ms on the timer. THAT IS however until combined with timer tool, BUT only in a certain way.

So with nothing else open aside from DPC checker and timer tool RUNNING IN THE FOREGROUND, the timer latency is completely stable at 0.5. That is however until I wanted to record the issue on streamlabs.
In fact, as I write this I've had nothing but DPC checker, timer tool and blur busters on edge writing this, screenshot attached.

Now, when I open streamlabs, regardless of if the timer tool is running in the foreground, the timer returns to its usual inconsistent behaviour, the second streamlabs is closed, the timer tool does its job again.

So the timer tool does it's job, but only when streamlabs, or games aren't loaded.

It's like no matter what you're forcing the timer, under certain load it overrides 3rd party timer settings.

TL;DR When DPC checker is running, kernel timer latency is greatly reduced. When DPC checker is running with timer tool in foreground, timer settings are applied. When streamlabs or games are then opened, settings are ignored.

EDIT: Timer tool doesn't need to be in the foreground. It's simply when there is applied load. When pain is opened, same thing, even when alt + tabbing, there is spikes.

So timer tool will do it's job until the second there's a change of app focus or load.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (229.51 KiB) Viewed 2772 times