Heavy character movement (not input lag)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Sirito

Re: Heavy character movement (not input lag)

Post by Sirito » 23 Jun 2022, 16:11

kokkatc wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 13:39
Sirito wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 11:31
kokkatc wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 11:16
Sirito wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 07:30

So I suppose there's no any problems with my ram currently, I also completed the test and it closed automatically after like 5 minutes and said no error detected, I have taken photos of some settings in my bios about the ram can you look at them if they'r important
In the last photo I found another fast boot option, I also have fastboot in boot section, I think this is the one in the ram section you meant me to disable it?
I'd suggest trying to change command rate to 1N as shown below in attachment. Just keep in mind that not all ram kits will be stable at 1N. If your KIT can't run 1N at all, your system may not boot and you'll have to hard reset and reconfigure your bios settings, FYI.

So for FAST BOOT, basically the way this works is that if FAST BOOT is enabled, it will bypass memory training at boot and use the settings/values already configured in your BIOS. If you DISABLE FAST BOOT, your memory will train at every boot which also means your system will take a little bit longer to boot since it's training. You don't always want this to be enabled because then memory settings could change without you even knowing and suddenly your game/mouse/etc might feel different and you won't know why. Once you find a spot where you're satisfied with your memory settings, you can ENABLE FAST BOOT so your settings remain locked in after every boot.
I noticed that boot is slower when I fully unplug my pc (from the wall outlet) so maybe the training is done each time I power off the powersupply completely? and that's why I feel different each time it boots (because like each day 50% a 1 power cut happens in my country).
But actually the "feel" we talking about isn't huge so it's not like day and night, it is just a small amount and it is connected only to the heavy character, my mouse is always in a good state, I can always flick and because my muscle memory always works I think the mouse always works too.
Maybe I change fast boot to enabled not auto, but I'm thinking are the trained values currently assigned good or not?
About the 1N I will try tomorrow after my exam because I'm using the PC rn and can't risk a cmos reset.
If you unplug your power cable completely from the power supply and leave it unplugged for a 'period' of time, it could reset your bios settings. That 'period of time' can differ from mobo to mobo so keep that in mind.

To lock in your memory settings, first set fast boot to disabled, then reboot, your memory will train. Once you boot into windows, take a look at your RTLs/IOLs as previously discussed and make sure your RTLs are no more than 2 apart, your IOLs no more than 1 apart. If you confirm this, then reboot, go back into your bios, change to fast boot ENABLED. Your settings will remain and memory won't retrain at every reboot.
Hello, So I made a lot of changes in bios today
MRC Fast Boot (Auto -> Disabled)
Train on Warm Boot (Auto -> Enabled)
Asrock Second Timing Optimization (Auto -> Enabled)
Intel Speed Shift Technologyh (Enabled -> Disabeled)
CPU Ratio (Auto -> Per Core)
Boot Performance Mode (Auto ->Turbo Performance)
Base Frequency Boost (Auto -> 125 W)
Ram (2133 MHZ -> 2667 MHZ)
What I noticed is that boost in frames but not a lot, the game is also lighter but I don't want to reach a conclusion cause I need more testing.
But I have a problem now, I kept HWMoniter opened while playing valorant and the core frequency reached 6000MHZ !!!!
How is that possible while the i5-10400F is limited to 4.3 GHZ and is only 1 core boost at a time? did I do something wrong in bios?
Last edited by Sirito on 23 Jun 2022, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 23 Jun 2022, 16:31

One thing I noticed which apparently wasn't tried here is using a fresh windows install + only your game and laucher installed.
U can do that on a separate SSD or just a 40GB partition.
Just to rule out any software related issues...
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

Sirito

Post by Sirito » 23 Jun 2022, 16:49

A Solid lad wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 16:31
One thing I noticed which apparently wasn't tried here is using a fresh windows install + only your game and laucher installed.
U can do that on a separate SSD or just a 40GB partition.
Just to rule out any software related issues...
Yup I did that before with the standard official windows, and also with a modified windows for gaming and didn't feel a change.
I know that the word "feel" may seem weak in a topic like this, but I think I don't have the proper equipment to measure this problem so I just follow what makes me comfortable.

Sirito

Post by Sirito » 23 Jun 2022, 16:53

Max is 6600 now, what is happenning?

Sirito

Post by Sirito » 23 Jun 2022, 17:09

Here's the results after running prime95 for couple of minutes

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 23 Jun 2022, 17:22

Sirito wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 16:11
kokkatc wrote:
Sirito wrote:
kokkatc wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 11:16

I'd suggest trying to change command rate to 1N as shown below in attachment. Just keep in mind that not all ram kits will be stable at 1N. If your KIT can't run 1N at all, your system may not boot and you'll have to hard reset and reconfigure your bios settings, FYI.

So for FAST BOOT, basically the way this works is that if FAST BOOT is enabled, it will bypass memory training at boot and use the settings/values already configured in your BIOS. If you DISABLE FAST BOOT, your memory will train at every boot which also means your system will take a little bit longer to boot since it's training. You don't always want this to be enabled because then memory settings could change without you even knowing and suddenly your game/mouse/etc might feel different and you won't know why. Once you find a spot where you're satisfied with your memory settings, you can ENABLE FAST BOOT so your settings remain locked in after every boot.
I noticed that boot is slower when I fully unplug my pc (from the wall outlet) so maybe the training is done each time I power off the powersupply completely? and that's why I feel different each time it boots (because like each day 50% a 1 power cut happens in my country).
But actually the "feel" we talking about isn't huge so it's not like day and night, it is just a small amount and it is connected only to the heavy character, my mouse is always in a good state, I can always flick and because my muscle memory always works I think the mouse always works too.
Maybe I change fast boot to enabled not auto, but I'm thinking are the trained values currently assigned good or not?
About the 1N I will try tomorrow after my exam because I'm using the PC rn and can't risk a cmos reset.
If you unplug your power cable completely from the power supply and leave it unplugged for a 'period' of time, it could reset your bios settings. That 'period of time' can differ from mobo to mobo so keep that in mind.

To lock in your memory settings, first set fast boot to disabled, then reboot, your memory will train. Once you boot into windows, take a look at your RTLs/IOLs as previously discussed and make sure your RTLs are no more than 2 apart, your IOLs no more than 1 apart. If you confirm this, then reboot, go back into your bios, change to fast boot ENABLED. Your settings will remain and memory won't retrain at every reboot.
What I noticed is that boost in frames but not a lot, the game is also lighter but I don't want to reach a conclusion cause I need more testing.
But I have a problem now, I kept HWMoniter opened while playing valorant and the core frequency reached 6000MHZ !!!!
How is that possible while the i5-10400F is limited to 4.3 GHZ and is only 1 core boost at a time? did I do something wrong in bios?
Yeah, that must be a bug. Your CPU isn't running at that frequency. Make sure you have the latest HWINFO64 and make sure you disabled virtualization in your BIOS. Virtualization has been known to interfere w/ the CPU resulting in incorrect HWINFO64 readings.

Just to be sure though, you can run CPU-Z while you're benchmarking and see what the frequency is in that program.

Also, can you send a screen shot of HWINFO64 also showing your CPU's TDP power consumption? It may be shown as PL1 and PL2. Not 100% sure w/ your CPU... but scroll down and find out how many watts are being consumed during the test. You want to make sure your motherboard's power limits are set properly so it's not getting choked for power during load. Power throttling would 100% explain your issue so you have to be sure this is configured correctly.

I attached a screenshot of an example of what it should look like. Your CPU's TDP is 65w but can consume up to 125w under load. Your temps seemed low for prime95 stress testing which has me wondering what your TDP settings are. Maybe they're set too low, hence the super low temps during that stress test. I did see the 'Powers' reading showing a max TDP of 69w which is LOW. It should be reaching 125w at least during prime95 for your cpu.
Attachments
pl1pl2.png
pl1pl2.png (329.69 KiB) Viewed 2144 times

Sirito

Post by Sirito » 23 Jun 2022, 17:32

kokkatc wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 17:22
Sirito wrote:
kokkatc wrote:
Sirito wrote:

Yeah, that must be a bug. Your CPU isn't running at that frequency. Make sure you have the latest HWINFO64 and make sure you disabled virtualization in your BIOS. Virtualization has been known to interfere w/ the CPU resulting in incorrect HWINFO64 readings.

Just to be sure though, you can run CPU-Z while you're benchmarking and see what the frequency is in that program.

Also, can you send a screen shot of HWINFO64 also showing your CPU's TDP power consumption? It may be shown as PL1 and PL2. Not 100% sure w/ your CPU... but scroll down and find out how many watts are being consumed during the test. You want to make sure your motherboard's power limits are set properly so it's not getting choked for power during load. Power throttling would 100% explain your issue so you have to be sure this is configured correctly.

I attached a screenshot of an example of what it should look like. Your CPU's TDP is 65w but can consume up to 125w under load. Your temps seemed low for prime95 stress testing which has me wondering what your TDP settings are. Maybe they're set too low, hence the super low temps during that stress test. I did see the 'Powers' reading showing a max TDP of 69w which is LOW. It should be reaching 125w at least during prime95 for your cpu.
Thank you, I downloaded HWInfo and it was showing wrong frequency values until I disabled intel virtualization is bios, here's the power values, I wonder why it doesn't reach 125W?

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 23 Jun 2022, 18:44

Sirito wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 17:32
kokkatc wrote:
Sirito wrote:
kokkatc wrote:

Thank you, I downloaded HWInfo and it was showing wrong frequency values until I disabled intel virtualization is bios, here's the power values, I wonder why it doesn't reach 125W?
So your cpu is the i5-10400f. You cannot oc this CPU since it has a locked multiplier. If you could I'd say set your turbo ratio to 43 so your system always runs at 4.3ghz. it's been a very very long time since I've personally had a non k or non overclockable CPU.

Make sure all of your turbo settings are enabled in your bios. C-States eist speedstep thermal monitor should also be disabled. After this, you need to tell your CPU to run at max speed under load like gaming so double check your power plan. Make sure the CPU min and max are both set to 100%. Your cpu needs to max out at 4.3ghz (your CPU's turbo max) to reach higher power consumption needs. For some reason your CPU only maxes out at 69w because your CPU's frequency isn't reaching 4.3ghz which it most definitely should be doing under load if configured properly.

Your pl1 and pl2 power limits are perfectly fine fyi so that's not the issue.

Sirito

Post by Sirito » 23 Jun 2022, 18:57

kokkatc wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 18:44
Sirito wrote:
kokkatc wrote:
Sirito wrote:

So your cpu is the i5-10400f. You cannot oc this CPU since it has a locked multiplier. If you could I'd say set your turbo ratio to 43 so your system always runs at 4.3ghz. it's been a very very long time since I've personally had a non k or non overclockable CPU.

Make sure all of your turbo settings are enabled in your bios. C-States eist speedstep thermal monitor should also be disabled. After this, you need to tell your CPU to run at max speed under load like gaming so double check your power plan. Make sure the CPU min and max are both set to 100%. Your cpu needs to max out at 4.3ghz (your CPU's turbo max) to reach higher power consumption needs. For some reason your CPU only maxes out at 69w because your CPU's frequency isn't reaching 4.3ghz which it most definitely should be doing under load if configured properly.

Here's the settings I have
CPU Ratio has another settings which is All cores and it is set to 40 and I can't increase this value it returns to 40 always
Currently it is set to what in the screenshot yet it is not boosting to 4.3 or 4.2 or 4.1
Also intel turbo boost max technology 3.0 is dimmed and I'm unable to choose it

Sirito

Post by Sirito » 23 Jun 2022, 19:24

Sirito wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 18:57
kokkatc wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 18:44
Sirito wrote:
kokkatc wrote:

Here's the settings I have
CPU Ratio has another settings which is All cores and it is set to 40 and I can't increase this value it returns to 40 always
Currently it is set to what in the screenshot yet it is not boosting to 4.3 or 4.2 or 4.1
Also intel turbo boost max technology 3.0 is dimmed and I'm unable to choose it
So I searched a bit about this and it looks it is the normal behaviour because all cores are enabled at the same time it will operate on 4 GHZ, so looks like this CPU max power draw is 69W I think?