Microstutter and frameskipping in all games

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Tricolores

Microstutter and frameskipping in all games

Post by Tricolores » 24 Jun 2022, 10:16

Hi all,

I have a computer I build not so long ago that is having micro stutters and frame skipping for about a week or two by this point.
Everything worked perfectly fine before that.

For two weeks now, I have been looking for the source of the issue with no success.

Code: Select all

Technical details:
MB: Gigabyte Elite X570
CPU: Ryzen 3700X
RAM: 2x8GB of DDR4 G.Skill RAM clocked at 3200Mhz (default XMP profile)
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC
SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO970plus
Screen: ASUS XG258Q 240Hz display
Power: Corsair RM750x

What I have tried: 
- Reinstalling Windows. A lot. Windows 10 and Windows 11.
- Update all drivers.
- Opening computer up, clean it and reconnect everything that can easily be reconnected.
- Run LatencyMon, but found nothing out of the ordinary.
- Tried older Nvidia drivers.
- Reset BIOS to default settings.
- Disable XMP profile.
- Run benchmarks like 3D MARK - everything is perfectly fine. Even the micro stuttering is not visible here!
- Disable hardware acceleration EVERYWHERE.
- Probably a dozen of other things I already forgot about.
You could describe the problem by saying that it feels like I'm playing on a lower-than-60Hz-monitor (all the time) and the frameskips like it's a game you start up for the first time and caching is still going on.This doesn't happen all that often, but it does.

It is driving me insane. I work in ICT myself and the idea that I can't play games anymore because of an issue that I can't solve is bothering me beyond belief.

I really hope someone can help me out here. It would be a big relief to get this fixed and I would be grateful for eternity.

Feel free to ask anything you want to know, I'll answer as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance!
Tricolores

MegaMelmek

Re: Microstutter and frameskipping in all games

Post by MegaMelmek » 24 Jun 2022, 12:33

Will be nice to post old PC specs just to compare it and make some conclusion…

Tell

Post by Tell » 24 Jun 2022, 12:43

One fix I have seen people mention on Ryzen has been to go into your bios and disable both CPPC and CPPC preferred cores. This should make things worse on Ryzen 3000 because of the awful cross-CCX latency penalty but I have seen people noticing improved smoothness with these disabled. Try it out and see if things improve.

Second fix is maybe fTPM related. Depending on your bios version the AUTO value means fTPM is enabled and this has a known bug of causing stuttering. This bug is supposed to be fixed with AGESA 1.2.0.7 but even still I have seen people claim it still isn't fixed. Just like USB ports going out as been "fixed" for some but not others.

Ryzen has been a lesson learned.

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 24 Jun 2022, 12:43

Tricolores wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 10:16
Hi all,

I have a computer I build not so long ago that is having micro stutters and frame skipping for about a week or two by this point.
Everything worked perfectly fine before that.

For two weeks now, I have been looking for the source of the issue with no success.

Technical details:
MB: Gigabyte Elite X570
CPU: Ryzen 3700X
RAM: 2x8GB of DDR4 G.Skill RAM clocked at 3200Mhz (default XMP profile)
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC
SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO970plus
Screen: ASUS XG258Q 240Hz display
Power: Corsair RM750x

What I have tried: 
- Reinstalling Windows. A lot. Windows 10 and Windows 11.
- Update all drivers.
- Opening computer up, clean it and reconnect everything that can easily be reconnected.
- Run LatencyMon, but found nothing out of the ordinary.
- Tried older Nvidia drivers.
- Reset BIOS to default settings.
- Disable XMP profile.
- Run benchmarks like 3D MARK - everything is perfectly fine. Even the micro stuttering is not visible here!
- Disable hardware acceleration EVERYWHERE.
- Probably a dozen of other things I already forgot about.
You could describe the problem by saying that it feels like I'm playing on a lower-than-60Hz-monitor (all the time) and the frameskips like it's a game you start up for the first time and caching is still going on.This doesn't happen all that often, but it does.

It is driving me insane. I work in ICT myself and the idea that I can't play games anymore because of an issue that I can't solve is bothering me beyond belief.

I really hope someone can help me out here. It would be a big relief to get this fixed and I would be grateful for eternity.

Feel free to ask anything you want to know, I'll answer as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance!
Tricolores
You say it feels like you're playing on a 'lower than 60hz monitor.' That sounds extraordinarily bad..

Can you install HWINFO64 (when you first launch it, click on sensors checkbox) and run cinebench w/ HWINFO64 open? Screenshot your temps and power limits and post back. Also, can you screenshot your DPC Latency results using Latency Monitor from Resplendence?

Before you do the above, make sure your power plan is on high performance or ultimate performance w/ cpu max/min at 100%. There's a lot of things to check but start w/ the basics.

What PSU/Watts do you have?

Anonymous768119

Post by Anonymous768119 » 24 Jun 2022, 16:25

I have the same after updating to Windows 11. Updated BIOS and it didn't fix anything.

Tricolores

Post by Tricolores » 25 Jun 2022, 02:36

MegaMelmek wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 12:33
Will be nice to post old PC specs just to compare it and make some conclusion…
This PC is over a year old and worked fine until two weeks ago, so that didn't seem relevant to me?
Tell wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 12:43
One fix I have seen people mention on Ryzen has been to go into your bios and disable both CPPC and CPPC preferred cores. This should make things worse on Ryzen 3000 because of the awful cross-CCX latency penalty but I have seen people noticing improved smoothness with these disabled. Try it out and see if things improve.

Second fix is maybe fTPM related. Depending on your bios version the AUTO value means fTPM is enabled and this has a known bug of causing stuttering. This bug is supposed to be fixed with AGESA 1.2.0.7 but even still I have seen people claim it still isn't fixed. Just like USB ports going out as been "fixed" for some but not others.

Ryzen has been a lesson learned.
I think I already tried that, but I will give it another go.
kokkatc wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 12:43
You say it feels like you're playing on a 'lower than 60hz monitor.' That sounds extraordinarily bad..

Can you install HWINFO64 (when you first launch it, click on sensors checkbox) and run cinebench w/ HWINFO64 open? Screenshot your temps and power limits and post back. Also, can you screenshot your DPC Latency results using Latency Monitor from Resplendence?

Before you do the above, make sure your power plan is on high performance or ultimate performance w/ cpu max/min at 100%. There's a lot of things to check but start w/ the basics.

What PSU/Watts do you have?
PSU is a Corsair RM750x.

Ultimate performance over the Ryzen Power Plan? OK, will do that and will report back. I can only do that tommorow though, have to work today and don't have the time.

Thank you all for your feedback.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 27 Jun 2022, 08:17

power settings or ram instability, try one at a time.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA