240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Shade7

Re: 240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Post by Shade7 » 09 Aug 2022, 02:10

So you have the same CPU as me.

Currently I have been giving "balanced power plan" a try again, and so far it has felt quite smooth. I set it to balanced in the "choose a power plan menu", and then in the "power & sleep" menu, I set the slider all the way right to "best performance". Give this a try- see if it makes a difference.

Also, if your budget is the main thing holding you back from purchasing another ram kit, I'd definitely recommend looking for a "refurbished" pair from Ebay. I purchased a pair a few months back after it was recommended on reddit (G-skill 3200Mhz Cl14 Samsung B-die). It only came to $50 for the pair, and so far it has been running fantastically. I could spend time overclocking it to 3600Mhz, but I get enough FPS as is, and it is VERY stable at the basic 3200Mhz.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 09 Aug 2022, 02:38

Shade7 what issues do you have man? It looks like we have similar PCs, at least 5600x and b550 mobos.

I start to think it's something with Zen 3 cpus, because my brother has R5 3600 (used by me before, almost 3 years old now), Asus B550M Plus mobo, same RAM, and everything works fine for him. Same monitor, same keyboard, g502 vs g403 mouse, weaker PSU (Chieftec GPS650w). The only real difference is Zen 2 CPU and his 1660s GPU vs my 3070, but I had this issue on my old 1080ti too, swapping GPU was my very first step for fixing it.
Maybe something is wrong with 5600x & controllers, especially in their first revisions? Just a guess.

I'm pretty good on budget thanks, just want to have a good value, be it RAM kit or whole cpu-ram-mobo combo. I'd prefer some fast non-RGB kit, than some fancy overpriced stuff, or some cheap stuff.
5600+b550+3200cl16 looked like good enough combo, but this gen has alot of issues already (PCIE Gen3vs4 bug, fTPM bug, USB bug, AGESA tricks). If this CPU is faulty I'm just selling it and buying 5800x3d and calling it a day. :D

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 09 Aug 2022, 02:55

you are being thermal throttled.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 09 Aug 2022, 02:55

Iserverthefirelord wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 02:38
Shade7 what issues do you have man? It looks like we have similar PCs, at least 5600x and b550 mobos.

I start to think it's something with Zen 3 cpus, because my brother has R5 3600 (used by me before, almost 3 years old now), Asus B550M Plus mobo, same RAM, and everything works fine for him. Same monitor, same keyboard, g502 vs g403 mouse, weaker PSU (Chieftec GPS650w). The only real difference is Zen 2 CPU and his 1660s GPU vs my 3070, but I had this issue on my old 1080ti too, swapping GPU was my very first step for fixing it.
Maybe something is wrong with 5600x & controllers, especially in their first revisions? Just a guess.

I'm pretty good on budget thanks, just want to have a good value, be it RAM kit or whole cpu-ram-mobo combo. I'd prefer some fast non-RGB kit, than some fancy overpriced stuff, or some cheap stuff.
5600+b550+3200cl16 looked like good enough combo, but this gen has alot of issues already (PCIE Gen3vs4 bug, fTPM bug, USB bug, AGESA tricks). If this CPU is faulty I'm just selling it and buying 5800x3d and calling it a day. :D
FPS games (right now mainly Valorant) suddenly start acting a little wonky.

-Strange mouse movement- floaty feel, inconsistent sensitivity, micro-stutters/freezing that "appear" like screen-tearing when aiming, but affect movement of the mouse as much or even more than just visual tearing. This made micro-adjustments & accurate aiming almost impossible. Felt like this every-time when firefights start on screen. Usually makes it very hard to hit anyone.

Additionally, most of your bullets are inaccurate & it also feels as if some "timing" with your PC or the game engine is offsync- because the fire rate of weapons felt almost like it was fluctuating, instead of a constant fire rate.

Gameplay just felt "off". My current build of ReviOS10, UPS unit, + whatever "tweaks" I have configured seem to fix most of these issues. I will have to wait and see if it stays this way.

Yes definitely go for 5800x3d if you can afford it right now. That or 5900x. The value is definitely there. I'd still recommend looking for a good B-die ram kit with low latency.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 09 Aug 2022, 02:56

DPRTMELR wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 02:55
Where do you see that? I think his temps aren't too bad. Shouldn't be high enough for Thermal Throttling.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 09 Aug 2022, 02:57

Shade7 wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 02:56
DPRTMELR wrote:
09 Aug 2022, 02:55
Where do you see that? I think his temps aren't too bad. Not enough for Thermal Throttling.
maybe for you 70c isn't the limit with the proper settings or better fan curves, by default 70c is the throttle point for xfr or whatever its called. its literally in the screenshots he posted on the page before.
DPRTMELR wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 02:36
so either there's a misinformation in your post or you missed something obvious.
really though? Ask your brother to record his fps to make comparisons of and get tips on system/game settings optimizations. Either you have set some unrealistic expectations of your computer (which I can't completely clear out because internet people and their pride/ego etc., and if that 2D disney game is feeling smooth then that narrows it down doesn't it) or he's just better at being a gamer.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

htalloush

Post by htalloush » 09 Aug 2022, 12:03

Can you check priority and affinity for all the process:

- dwm.exe
- cscrss

I'm not an expert but thought I'd chime in with an idea, good luck with fixing your problem.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 10 Aug 2022, 06:25

DPRTMELR
Where exactly?

Shade7
-Strange mouse movement- floaty feel, inconsistent sensitivity, micro-stutters/freezing that "appear" like screen-tearing when aiming, but affect movement of the mouse as much or even more than just visual tearing. This made micro-adjustments & accurate aiming almost impossible. Felt like this every-time when firefights start on screen. Usually makes it very hard to hit anyone.
Yeah exactly, game feels "off", at least R6:Siege with new patches, game plays exactly like that in both Vulkan and normal modes, since fall 2020 I'd say. In other thread guy said for him it was "lagging" in CSGO and new Siege builds, but it was fine in Valorant and older R6 builds. Gaming is weird nowadays.

How is it for you though, only in Valorant or in every other game too?

BTW I've tested CS1.6 (lol) and it ran on 500-600 fps and I'd say it was smooth enough, but game itself is so outdated it's hard to tell (animations, hitreg, textures etc). I haven't monitored anything either. EDIT: nvm, I played with MSI AB on and it was 300-400 fps on 1% 0.1% graphs with no drops. Temps were ridicilous like 40C GPU, 45C CPU :D
Team Fortress 2 was a choppy mess, and I had FPS drops from 240+ to 100-130, dunno why.
Maybe should test some more old non-demanding games with high fps and "fast" enough too, any suggestions? Quake 3 or smth. So maybe it's linked somehow with high load, or overheating.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 10 Aug 2022, 14:21

Iserverthefirelord wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 06:25
DPRTMELR
Where exactly?

Shade7
Yeah exactly, game feels "off", at least R6:Siege with new patches, game plays exactly like that in both Vulkan and normal modes, since fall 2020 I'd say. In other thread guy said for him it was "lagging" in CSGO and new Siege builds, but it was fine in Valorant and older R6 builds. Gaming is weird nowadays.

How is it for you though, only in Valorant or in every other game too?

BTW I've tested CS1.6 (lol) and it ran on 500-600 fps and I'd say it was smooth enough, but game itself is so outdated it's hard to tell (animations, hitreg, textures etc). I haven't monitored anything either. EDIT: nvm, I played with MSI AB on and it was 300-400 fps on 1% 0.1% graphs with no drops. Temps were ridicilous like 40C GPU, 45C CPU :D
Team Fortress 2 was a choppy mess, and I had FPS drops from 240+ to 100-130, dunno why.
Maybe should test some more old non-demanding games with high fps and "fast" enough too, any suggestions? Quake 3 or smth. So maybe it's linked somehow with high load, or overheating.
RN- I only play Valorant. And, currently, I feel like my game is functioning correctly for the first time in a long time. I've made quite a few changes the last week- ReviOS 10, further settings changes in Windows, started using a UPS recently, & am playing with Cloudflare Warp+.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 10 Aug 2022, 15:49

RN- I only play Valorant. And, currently, I feel like my game is functioning correctly for the first time in a long time. I've made quite a few changes the last week- ReviOS 10, further settings changes in Windows, started using a UPS recently, & am playing with Cloudflare Warp+.
Have you tried other games, PC parts, bringing your rig to a friend? Assuming you are having electrical issues and it's not just hardware/Windows/Valorant related. Who knows lol.

ReviOS helped me for like 5 days only, UPS is hit and miss afaik, or just a temporary solution and "lag" can come back over time.

Anyway hope you sort out your stuff.