240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Shade7

Re: 240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Post by Shade7 » 10 Aug 2022, 16:07

Iserverthefirelord wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 15:49
RN- I only play Valorant. And, currently, I feel like my game is functioning correctly for the first time in a long time. I've made quite a few changes the last week- ReviOS 10, further settings changes in Windows, started using a UPS recently, & am playing with Cloudflare Warp+.
Have you tried other games, PC parts, bringing your rig to a friend? Assuming you are having electrical issues and it's not just hardware/Windows/Valorant related. Who knows lol.

ReviOS helped me for like 5 days only, UPS is hit and miss afaik, or just a temporary solution and "lag" can come back over time.

Anyway hope you sort out your stuff.

Thank you.

I have not tried any other games recently.

My issues did start with another game (a lesser known fps) 2 years back.

Since then:
- I have built a new PC (recently, this April)
- switched ISPs from Comcast to Verizon Fios Gigabit Fiber
- switched monitors
- new ethernet cables (tried many different ones)
- 10 different mice
- UPS unit (just a few days ago)
- Trying out VPNs/Cloudflare Warp+
- I have not tried my PC at a different location (a little stubborn/lazy to move it)
- Only PC component I recycled between builds was my GPU. But- seems to be working well. I'll probably upgrade it if I see a deal that's too good to pass up.

I do have a theory on why the Valorant lag occurs. But, will have to look into it more to see if it really is a thing.

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 11 Aug 2022, 04:57

Shade7 wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 16:07
10 Aug 2022, 15:49
RN- I only play Valorant. And, currently, I feel like my game is functioning correctly for the first time in a long time. I've made quite a few changes the last week- ReviOS 10, further settings changes in Windows, started using a UPS recently, & am playing with Cloudflare Warp+.
Have you tried other games, PC parts, bringing your rig to a friend? Assuming you are having electrical issues and it's not just hardware/Windows/Valorant related. Who knows lol.

ReviOS helped me for like 5 days only, UPS is hit and miss afaik, or just a temporary solution and "lag" can come back over time.

Anyway hope you sort out your stuff.

- Only PC component I recycled between builds was my GPU. But- seems to be working well. I'll probably upgrade it if I see a deal that's too good to pass up.

Try msi kombustor test with artifact check enabled

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 11 Aug 2022, 11:02

So you haven't fixed you "lag" for two years, in multiple games, with all these changes?

I've seen multiple reports about Valorant (and Siege, Apex, Warzone, CSGO etc) being wonky and not responsive. Try any other game, even CSGO TDM just to test gameplay.
Let's assume your GPU is fine (not overheating, not dying, gets enough power, good drivers & so on), rest of the build is good too, and I guess you're not a novice in building PCs either, then it sounds like electricity issue indeed.
In that case try someone's apartment or house, as far away from your place as possible, not like the house next door or on the same street, and you'll see it instantly.
When I had this "electricity desync/input lag", the only way to "cure" it was to play in other place with "good" electricity, nothing else helped. Dedicate a day or at least few hours to test it.

I still don't know what's going on, what thermal throttling is this guy talking about. XFR issue, google says nothing about it, it's literally another form of "Turbo Boost", and 60-70C for CPU should be fine, same as GPU (I've played Warzone before with 72C on GPU and everything was buttery smooth for instance). Rest of the temps - I don't see anything enormous, nothing is hitting like 100C or so.
Only RAM temps come to mind (cant measure it, maybe these chips wont allow me, would have to touch em with finger), VRM temps (these mobo & cpu should not overheat anyway).

Any idea what to do next? Did few of these, not to sure how to stress memory even more.
Karhu, OCCT - are they any better? Doing this before I swap mobo or CPU.

Melkxz

Post by Melkxz » 11 Aug 2022, 12:27

Maybe check your ram timings
I have a similar rig. Made a huge diff for me.
Test your ram latency with aida64.

omusubi0216

Post by omusubi0216 » 18 Aug 2022, 13:56

10 Aug 2022, 06:25
DPRTMELR
you are being thermal throttled.
Where exactly?

Shade7
-Strange mouse movement- floaty feel, inconsistent sensitivity, micro-stutters/freezing that "appear" like screen-tearing when aiming, but affect movement of the mouse as much or even more than just visual tearing. This made micro-adjustments & accurate aiming almost impossible. Felt like this every-time when firefights start on screen. Usually makes it very hard to hit anyone.
Yeah exactly, game feels "off", at least R6:Siege with new patches, game plays exactly like that in both Vulkan and normal modes, since fall 2020 I'd say. In other thread guy said for him it was "lagging" in CSGO and new Siege builds, but it was fine in Valorant and older R6 builds. Gaming is weird nowadays.

How is it for you though, only in Valorant or in every other game too?

BTW I've tested CS1.6 (lol) and it ran on 500-600 fps and I'd say it was smooth enough, but game itself is so outdated it's hard to tell (animations, hitreg, textures etc). I haven't monitored anything either. EDIT: nvm, I played with MSI AB on and it was 300-400 fps on 1% 0.1% graphs with no drops. Temps were ridicilous like 40C GPU, 45C CPU :D
Team Fortress 2 was a choppy mess, and I had FPS drops from 240+ to 100-130, dunno why.
Maybe should test some more old non-demanding games with high fps and "fast" enough too, any suggestions? Quake 3 or smth. So maybe it's linked somehow with high load, or overheating.
I've said that I don't have any problem in VALORANT, however, after 10 days of playing it, I'm starting to doubt that. Basically, despite a small input lag, spraying feels much better than in CSGO. However, peeking in this game feels really weird. Sometimes I have a mysterious advantage and can easily peek the enemies and kill, or kill the enemies peeking me and top frag without using any brain resource, but other time it's completely different. I can't hit anyone no matter I'm peeking or being peeked. In both case we all have normal ping and there was no huge difference between enemies' stats. So I don't think it has to do with player skill. Not sure if it's problem on my side or due to bad netcode or whatsoever, but however, VALORANT DO have a problem and it's way different from the gaming experience that i'm looking for.

bw9

Post by bw9 » 08 Sep 2022, 22:03

11 Aug 2022, 11:02
So you haven't fixed you "lag" for two years, in multiple games, with all these changes?

I've seen multiple reports about Valorant (and Siege, Apex, Warzone, CSGO etc) being wonky and not responsive. Try any other game, even CSGO TDM just to test gameplay.
Let's assume your GPU is fine (not overheating, not dying, gets enough power, good drivers & so on), rest of the build is good too, and I guess you're not a novice in building PCs either, then it sounds like electricity issue indeed.
In that case try someone's apartment or house, as far away from your place as possible, not like the house next door or on the same street, and you'll see it instantly.
When I had this "electricity desync/input lag", the only way to "cure" it was to play in other place with "good" electricity, nothing else helped. Dedicate a day or at least few hours to test it.

I still don't know what's going on, what thermal throttling is this guy talking about. XFR issue, google says nothing about it, it's literally another form of "Turbo Boost", and 60-70C for CPU should be fine, same as GPU (I've played Warzone before with 72C on GPU and everything was buttery smooth for instance). Rest of the temps - I don't see anything enormous, nothing is hitting like 100C or so.
Only RAM temps come to mind (cant measure it, maybe these chips wont allow me, would have to touch em with finger), VRM temps (these mobo & cpu should not overheat anyway).

Any idea what to do next? Did few of these, not to sure how to stress memory even more.
Karhu, OCCT - are they any better? Doing this before I swap mobo or CPU.
I have the same problem and I cant fix it. Any ideas? Maybe contact each other for better chance of solving?

astttra

Post by astttra » 09 Sep 2022, 10:06

Hey, did you fix the issue with your valorant feeling unsmooth? will read your whole post with comments, just to be sure if you found something what exactly fixed your issue. im experiencing the same and can’t fix it for a year now

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 03 Oct 2022, 04:45

Hey

Maybe there's some confusion with posters and this forum doesn't show who's OP

But it's me (look at very first post in this thread). I don't play valorant, but I play mw19, battlefield series, R6siege, other games

I don't know what to say guys, it's definitely smoother now (could be more smooth tho), and all I did was messing around with BIOS, drivers, RAM settings etc, cleaned dust, removed two top fans from case, did more minor stuff I can't recall rn. I play single player games, and sometimes some chill bf4 matches or r6 non-ranked, for now

My "symptoms" are weird now, e.g. image on screen was not smooth, but mouse was butter smooth; now it's reversed, image is way smoother but mouse feels like i'm using it on ice (I still blame my old g403 & old pad lol). Keyboard input is also kinda slow, like I'm using remote control to type stuff & there is some delay, maybe that's the best way to explain it. No input lag or desync though.

I also bought a laptop with 240hz screen, 5800h, 3060, 16gb 3200 ram etc, and I'm confident to say games there run smoother (tested bf1, bf4, r6 siege, grim dawn, few more sp's)

My suggestions would be this, from realistic reasons to tin-foil-hat-tier ones:
1) bad RAM, incompatible with ur rig, bad timings etc. Tweak it, or swap it
2) bad MoBo (check for bios updates, settings, turn off all energy saving settings, check it physically, if it's bent, cracked, has any blown capacitors)
3) bad PSU (I have Corsair Rm750x and I still feel it's not working propertly, maybe produces too much EMI)
4) bad Windows install, bloated install, new updates messing with your PC (easy enough to fix)
5) bad game (I've seen many posts with CSGO, Valorant, Apex, PUBG etc. maybe it's something in your game)
6) bad ISP, ethernet cable, something there is "faulty" (u can check it in offline mode, also change ISP, cables)
7) bad electricity (this is off topic and belongs to other forums, threads)

My next steps will be: swap my ram from 32-3200 kit to something like 16-3600/3800 kit, or at least to buy the latter kit and check it out; swap PSU unit to let's say 1k Watt Seasonic one, with less EMI (allegedly) produced; maybe, if none of it helps, then swap MoBo, or switch to Intel or something.

WolFy19

Post by WolFy19 » 04 Apr 2023, 15:38

Hello try this command in powershell : powercfg -attributes 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 5d76a2ca-e8c0-402f-a133-2158492d58ad -ATTRIB_HIDE
It will show a new option in your windows's power plan under processor's settings called: Processor idle disable.
Try to disable it, but be carrefull your cpu will run at full power just try to one game.
I have the same problem as your, and this fix it, my guess is cpu EIST is starving my processor, even with it off in my bios.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 04 Apr 2023, 16:31

Hey, I have AMD CPU not Intel. Thanks for suggestion. Anyway it's kinda fixed now, I don't know what exactly helped but what I've experienced was:

1) several outages in my area, probably PoCo guys have "fixed" it involuntarily (my main suggestion so far lol)
2) tried blurbusters gsync 101 guide (235 fps lock, vsync on, gsync on, latency off (iirc), reflex on (when possible) etc)
3) updated my mouse firmware (I have Razer Viper 8k fyi, 1.02 was a mess for me, I rolled back to 1.01 version, there is a guide on yt how to do it, then I updated to new v1.03 & it's good now)
4) updated BIOS, tweaked things like CPPC/preferred cores, OC'd RAM to 16-19-16-16 3600mhz, played with PBO a bit (left it on Enabled anyway)
5) updated AMD Chipset drivers to new 5.xx.xx version instead of 4.xx, Nvidia driver to 531.29 version
6) reinstalled w11 instead of w10, installed latest updates, I've also seen guys saying newest insider(?) build has major improvements for input lag, so it should be out soon as well

Maybe something else, but it's too minor to recall. I think it was either electricity/PoCo issue, or software issue, who knows.

BTW I still have some weird, barely perceivable issue, which is - when I'm moving mouse fast enough, whole game (e.g. Battlefield V, R6 Siege) becomes crispy, like it's 60 fps, BUT !! if I stop flicking, aiming moving mouse etc. game is butter smooth again.
Whole gameplay is smooth, all animations, mouse movement, hitreg, everything is fluid now. No stuters, no extra frametimes, no lag/spikes, no fps drops, just for the record.
Only this dumb issue aka "not smooth when moving mouse fast" still annoys me. Don't know what's causing it. And it's most visible in FPS games, in games like Civ or ARPG's it's tolerable. Mouse is at 1000 hz btw, changing to 500 doesn't help much.
Am I missing something still? Or I'm just losing my mind with all these lags lol