240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Melkxz

Re: 240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Post by Melkxz » 18 Jul 2022, 12:43

Iserverthefirelord wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 08:17
you gotta show us the cpus page as well ithink. maybe try and get a second mouse.
I've played 1h of Battlefield 1, that's how it looks in Latencymon

Disable XHCI hands off and USB legacy in mb.

Use 1600dpi : pretty easy for you to divide your in game/windows mouse sens by 2.
I'm gonna try it thanks for suggestion. Also have tried 500hz instead of 1000, for mouse and it's slightly smoother but still far from perfect.
If 500hz feels smoother there's something wrong. You want 1k hz/hight dpi with 240hz/1440p.
In game like fornite highter dpi gives a lot more smoothness and motion clarity.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 18 Jul 2022, 13:34

If 500hz feels smoother there's something wrong. You want 1k hz/hight dpi with 240hz/1440p.
In game like fornite highter dpi gives a lot more smoothness and motion clarity.
Yea that's weird, 125 hz is total choppy mess (its oblivous why tho), but 250-500 is somewhat smoother than 1000 hz mode. Might be placebo idk. Just to clarify things - I don't play fortnite, tested it for 30 min, lost few brain cells and then deleted it :lol: No idea how that game works, wanted to taste csgo or even older versions like Source but they have their flaws too I guess. Higher DPI gives me some feeling of extra smoothness, in any game, but I'm not sure how does it work.

nyxo100

Post by nyxo100 » 19 Jul 2022, 20:20

18 Jul 2022, 13:34
Yea that's weird, 125 hz is total choppy mess (its oblivous why tho), but 250-500 is somewhat smoother than 1000 hz mode. Might be placebo idk. Just to clarify things - I don't play fortnite, tested it for 30 min, lost few brain cells and then deleted it :lol: No idea how that game works, wanted to taste csgo or even older versions like Source but they have their flaws too I guess. Higher DPI gives me some feeling of extra smoothness, in any game, but I'm not sure how does it work.
idkn man i play with 125hz in my mouse because with 1000 hz is input lagged as hell (tried with hyperx pulsefire fps pro and logitech g 502, 403 with 1000hz i cant hit bullets is impossible in any game and with 125 hz i can play but still far from perfect is less shitty funny because i have 144fps+ all the time with 144hz monitor and g sync and my games feels like shit unplayable but when i play in my phone with 60 fps the game looks and feels insanely more smooth and responsive i hit so much shoots and i can play more comfortable than my gaming setup LMAO

MT_

Post by MT_ » 21 Jul 2022, 05:48

18 Jul 2022, 10:31
I'm going to mess around with MSI mode too. Any advice how to use it, let's say USB hub (?) and GPU share IRQ, what should I do?

LTSC Windows didn't work though, it was the same as regular Windows, maybe slightly faster. But image was not smooth, same choppiness that builds up over first few mins of gameplay.

Trying ReviOS now, at my own risk I'd say. Maybe Linux then. Then I might just start swapping parts e.g. buying some used b450 board and trying to build a system around that one.
You must realize that if you've already tried a clean windows installation attempt for the 10th time (You shouldve 'already made conclusions after the 2rd install to be honest), some other custom OS is not going to relieve your issues right? It's probably going to exacerbate them further.
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 21 Jul 2022, 12:57

You must realize that if you've already tried a clean windows installation attempt for the 10th time (You shouldve 'already made conclusions after the 2rd install to be honest), some other custom OS is not going to relieve your issues right? It's probably going to exacerbate them further.
LTSC or older version recommendations came from concerns about dwm and FSO stuff that could've changed over the year. Unfortunate that OP wasted some time, but it's literally the only variable that has changed in the past year.

Another thing for me was that the usb driver signed by intel or the microsoft will stick itself to different cpu core to bug (or maybe it's the OEM's .ini settings idunno) try and see if that's a thing for AMD. I am out of ideas other then suggesting affinity policing for bandaiding really. Maybe check gpu-z and make sure gpu is getting x16 lanes. Maybe do some tests with ethernet cables off.

You didn't set your nvidia low latency mode to ultra right? and you don't use any "game optimizers"?
1% 0,1% all was good when I measured it with MSI Afterburner
Yea things were working great e.g. last summer I was playing just completely fine, this 240 hz monitor was perfectly smooth and even better than my old LG 144 hz panel, I can tell the difference.
I've found something interesting, my 1% and 0,1% are really low, what can cause that?
Also have tried 500hz instead of 1000, for mouse and it's slightly smoother
I've been asking for clarification since page 1 but I really think you having unrealistic expectation from your hardware is still a possibility. Benchmark results in this video is in line with your screenshots on page 1. He doesn't have 0.1% showing but you can see the frametime (10ms is like 100fps iirc). He also happen to run his ram at 3600mhz which is like the bare minimum for ryzen according to some people so that could be the difference.

I get that you could tell the difference between 240 and 144, but have you ever had a exceedingly smooth experience on your 240hz monitor? if so what was your ballpark fps back then? I am repeating this but it could just be that your brother's a better gamer than you are and has all the little things set up properly to avoid these unpleasantries even with slightly slower CPU.

There are resources that can help you squeeze out a few more percent out of your system(power options recommended by others are a good starting point for snappiness and reducing the likelyness of random spikes, and your system will need manual affinity policing too it seems like), but you are claiming malfunction after nothing has changed and people are throwing ideas around that right now. You need to be sure. Could it be an update to bf4 itself that's doing it? Are there people sharing the internet connection with you? What happened last summer lol
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 22 Jul 2022, 16:16

I've tried w10 and w11 installs on three different drives (m2, sata ssd, hdd) with no luck, tried LTSC 1809 also, if that makes sense. Since newer versions of Windows come with more and more bloatware/useless stuff, w11 has it's problems with AMD and so on.
ReviOS works surprisingly fine though, much smoother than any other install, finally can flick and turn around without choppiness. Knocking on wood rn & still testing :D

DPRTMELR man what exact questions are you asking since page one? Maybe I'm missing something, or I've just answered them before lol.
Yes I had a smooth experience with this monitor and PC, in any game, way smoother than with my old 144 hz screen I'd say. I've mentioned my younger brother because I can compare anytime his rig and mine and see how it works, his is stable & fluid, mine has been not working as intended for months. It's not like I'm losing my mind or anything.
Also I'm not looking for any tips how to squeeze a single MS of input, or FPS, I'm grateful for the advices tho, this stuff is useful for many people.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 22 Jul 2022, 17:26

22 Jul 2022, 16:16
Well something like ReviOS is just regular windows with all the nerd changes preappplied, can't say you aren't into that when you've already crossed that bridge. I would argue messing with options mentioned in this post is much more straight forward and logical than installing a custom os not packed by yourself. (which has your facebook, bank accounts, creditcards, your steam account, worries me more than the poor 0.1%)

Glad you got your problem sorted out with revios before going back to electrical but lol.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 27 Jul 2022, 06:33

Guys maybe a dumb question - but how do I search for USB hub drivers for my mobo (B550 Tomahawk)? On realtek site there are only the latest ones. Is there any way to revert them?

delve

Post by delve » 27 Jul 2022, 12:50

find out the name of the chip in the specs or manual, then google.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 27 Jul 2022, 17:25

22 Jul 2022, 16:16
I've tried w10 and w11 installs on three different drives (m2, sata ssd, hdd) with no luck, tried LTSC 1809 also, if that makes sense. Since newer versions of Windows come with more and more bloatware/useless stuff, w11 has it's problems with AMD and so on.
ReviOS works surprisingly fine though, much smoother than any other install, finally can flick and turn around without choppiness. Knocking on wood rn & still testing :D

DPRTMELR man what exact questions are you asking since page one? Maybe I'm missing something, or I've just answered them before lol.
Yes I had a smooth experience with this monitor and PC, in any game, way smoother than with my old 144 hz screen I'd say. I've mentioned my younger brother because I can compare anytime his rig and mine and see how it works, his is stable & fluid, mine has been not working as intended for months. It's not like I'm losing my mind or anything.
Also I'm not looking for any tips how to squeeze a single MS of input, or FPS, I'm grateful for the advices tho, this stuff is useful for many people.

Are you using ReviOS 10 or 11 right now? Is it still going well?