240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Headglitch123

Re: 240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Post by Headglitch123 » 31 Jul 2022, 05:37

Iserverthefirelord wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 04:43
I recommend downloading *Autoruns* and see what miscellaneous drivers/programs are open on your system.

If I remember correctly, Latencymon leaves behind an inactive driver even after you uninstall it. I deleted that driver through Autoruns (I think*)
That program looks great, thank you for recommending it! Can you see anything SUS there?

Remove all task schedule tasks, disable origin web helper service, disable edge/chrome services, re-enable them if u plan to update them. U can also remove the Bluetooth drivers/services if u dont use bluetooth

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 31 Jul 2022, 17:41

31 Jul 2022, 04:43
I recommend downloading *Autoruns* and see what miscellaneous drivers/programs are open on your system.

If I remember correctly, Latencymon leaves behind an inactive driver even after you uninstall it. I deleted that driver through Autoruns (I think*)
That program looks great, thank you for recommending it! Can you see anything SUS there?

No problem!

Valorant Support actually recommended the program to me, when troubleshooting my lag issues. They recommended disabling some of the yellow/red entries (except the ones that are necessary). Be very careful about this though, you don't want to accidently disable something crucial for the OS for operate.

Quickly glancing over your processes, I see the microsoft drivers for bluetooth. For me, those entries goes away when I disable bluetooth+wifi in the bios (should be located in the onboard devices page in your bios). You could go ahead and disable those in bios if you don't use either.

Also, I see a Xonar entry for what I assume is a soundcard. I used to use one of those in my last build, and it would give me trouble often.

I've also seen many posts reporting that certain Xonar sound cards/drivers could lead to different lag issues.

If you don't use it, I'd definitely disable/delete that entry.

I'd uninstall Brave, since you have Chrome also (don't have to, but why keep both?). Also, don't bother disabling the google chrome tasks under task scheduler, they will automatically enable themselves if you are using Chrome daily.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 07 Aug 2022, 08:20

Shade7 thank you for your suggestions, no I don't use bluetooth (have a gamepad but haven't used it in months), so I turned these processes off. Neither I have bluetooth+wifi built in on mobo (msi b550 tomahawk), everything is wired. But it has two lan ports 1gb and 2.5gb fyi, weird if you ask me, maybe it's causing issues.

I have also tried taking off this xonar card, multiple times, (un)installing drivers etc - nothing. Right now it's out and nothing changed.
Even with fresh install and realtek default card, drivers it was the same. I'd be glad honestly to swap this card for something better and forget about this issue.

So far as I can tell it's something with mouse, USB hubs, MoBo etc. since faster I'm moving mouse, choppier the game gets. Even when typing in chrome or everywhere it's sluggish, maybe that's the best word. If that makes sense.
It's kinda okay when playing old games or slow paced single player ones, but it's nightmare and barely playable in FPS games (BF1, BF5, BF4, R6 Siege, PUBG, TF2, CSGO, MW19 etc. tested many games from different launchers).

Dunno what else can I do. Have tried alot of BIOS, hardware, software related stuff, with your generous help guys indeed.
Checked temps 100 times, can post more pics if needed - cpu/gpu never go above 70C, mobo 40C, drives 30-40ish, 3 front fans 3 exhaust, even remade cable management and cleaned dust in filters. Did many fresh installs, including one with W10, launcher, game and drivers only, no extra stuff or anything, just to be sure.

Okay and what happens if I buy lets say gen 12 intel mobo/cpu, or new incoming Zen 4 mobo + CPU, and maybe faster ram? What if this stupid issue comes back? How can I ensure it won't happen again?
And why does it get smoother for few days after fresh reinstall (w11 or revios, 6 months ago or two weeks ago) and then become choppy again?

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 07 Aug 2022, 14:31

07 Aug 2022, 08:20
Shade7 thank you for your suggestions, no I don't use bluetooth (have a gamepad but haven't used it in months), so I turned these processes off. Neither I have bluetooth+wifi built in on mobo (msi b550 tomahawk), everything is wired. But it has two lan ports 1gb and 2.5gb fyi, weird if you ask me, maybe it's causing issues.

I have also tried taking off this xonar card, multiple times, (un)installing drivers etc - nothing. Right now it's out and nothing changed.
Even with fresh install and realtek default card, drivers it was the same. I'd be glad honestly to swap this card for something better and forget about this issue.

So far as I can tell it's something with mouse, USB hubs, MoBo etc. since faster I'm moving mouse, choppier the game gets. Even when typing in chrome or everywhere it's sluggish, maybe that's the best word. If that makes sense.
It's kinda okay when playing old games or slow paced single player ones, but it's nightmare and barely playable in FPS games (BF1, BF5, BF4, R6 Siege, PUBG, TF2, CSGO, MW19 etc. tested many games from different launchers).

Dunno what else can I do. Have tried alot of BIOS, hardware, software related stuff, with your generous help guys indeed.
Checked temps 100 times, can post more pics if needed - cpu/gpu never go above 70C, mobo 40C, drives 30-40ish, 3 front fans 3 exhaust, even remade cable management and cleaned dust in filters. Did many fresh installs, including one with W10, launcher, game and drivers only, no extra stuff or anything, just to be sure.

Okay and what happens if I buy lets say gen 12 intel mobo/cpu, or new incoming Zen 4 mobo + CPU, and maybe faster ram? What if this stupid issue comes back? How can I ensure it won't happen again?
And why does it get smoother for few days after fresh reinstall (w11 or revios, 6 months ago or two weeks ago) and then become choppy again?
-For your fresh reinstallations, are you using Windows creation media through a USB stick? I've noticed that using the built in "fresh start" reinstallation through Windows does not completely clean install Windows & certain leftovers are present.

-For mouse movement, I'd check out your RAM config too. Might be unstable ram (even basic XMP/DOCP for certain RAM can be unstable). Run memtest86 (doesn't test stability in depth, but good enough starting test to know if you have unstable ram quickly)

-Try new PSU and MOBO

-Only install these drivers upon clean install: Chipset, GPU, Network & see.

-In device manager untick the "powersaving option" for all usb devices/hubs

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 07 Aug 2022, 14:45

-For your fresh reinstallations, are you using Windows creation media through a USB stick? I've noticed that using the built in "fresh start" reinstallation through Windows does not completely clean install Windows & certain leftovers are present.
Yea exactly, I'm using just standard Windows tool. With revios I used some old portable version of UltraISO, that's it.
So it doesn't fully wipe a drive every time I'm reinstalling it, even when deleting all partitions from C: drive etc? Interesting.
-For mouse movement, I'd check out your RAM config too. Might be unstable ram (even basic XMP/DOCP for certain RAM can be unstable). Run memtest86 (doesn't test stability in depth, but good enough starting test to know if you have unstable ram quickly)
IIRC I've run it once for 2 hours with no errors. And OCCT too. I have barely any idea how to test memory for errors propertly lol, maybe it's faulty. Tried friend's 2x8 2400 hz Gskill ram but mobo didn't start with it. Might try other kits too.
-Try new PSU and MOBO
It's kinda expensive tbh... maybe cheap b450 mobo would work. I'm down to buying a whole new PC at this point, at least psu/mobo/cpu/ram.
I have also used my old 2nd PC aka "multimedia HTPC" - c2d e8400/4GB/rx340/ssd 128, and it was somehow more fluid than this PC. Insane.
-In device manager untick the "powersaving option" for all usb devices/hubs
Did that in the past. Going to do that again but honestly I don't belive it will work.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 07 Aug 2022, 15:40

No problem.

Regarding windows installs, using a USB stick to clean your drive & install windows through creation media tool gives a proper clean install. I've noticed with Windows built in "fresh start" feature that it leaves certain tweaks/changes you may have made even after the "fresh start".

Have you tried disabling powersaving features in OS & Bios?

-In Bios: disable fast boot, C-states, PSS Support (if you have AMD CPU)

-In Windows 10: disable fast startup, try ultimate performance power plan (disable USB selective suspend & PCI link state power management for it as well). Run a CMD prompt as admin & type "powercfg /a" to see if there are any other powersaving features that are listed as "available". If everything is listed as "not available" then you are good to go.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 08 Aug 2022, 01:15

Regarding windows installs, using a USB stick to clean your drive & install windows through creation media tool gives a proper clean install. I've noticed with Windows built in "fresh start" feature that it leaves certain tweaks/changes you may have made even after the "fresh start".
So basically "default" way to install windows (creating media tool, loading from usb stick, deleting all partitions and formatting them via windows install tools) is correct?

I've tried the rest - BIOS changes, fast boot disabled, ultimate power plan etc. Now it's fresh install and older version of BIOS with minimum changes.
Command gives me back this btw

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 08 Aug 2022, 01:24

08 Aug 2022, 01:15
So basically "default" way to install windows (creating media tool, loading from usb stick, deleting all partitions and formatting them via windows install tools) is correct?

I've tried the rest - BIOS changes, fast boot disabled, ultimate power plan etc. Now it's fresh install and older version of BIOS with minimum changes.
Command gives me back this btw
Yes that is the correct way to install windows.

You have 1 more thing you can try to disable (S3 sleep) - follow this guide on how to disable it using GPEDIT.

I think this guide should show how to do it:

https://www.mysysadmintips.com/windows/ ... sleep-mode

Restart PC after and run powercfg /a again.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 08 Aug 2022, 02:30

Now it's fully off I suppose. Gonna test it now. You are a mastermind! :D
Last edited by Cyanide_ on 08 Aug 2022, 06:00, edited 2 times in total.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 08 Aug 2022, 04:17

08 Aug 2022, 02:30

Now it's fully off I suppose. Gonna test it now. You are a mastermind! :D
I hope it helps.

This was a fix I saw somewhere on another thread in this forum (I think) recently.

*Use ultimate performance power plan (and disable usb selective suspend & link state power management in that plan)

Make sure to also disable these 3 things in your bios.
-Global C-states
-DF C-states
-PSS Support

Can also try raising your current capabilities in bios from 100% -> to 110% (just a bit higher).

Not sure if these options are available or called the same names in your MSI mobo Bios, but that's how they appear in my ASUS B550 Bios.