240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Cyanide_

Re: 240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Post by Cyanide_ » 08 Aug 2022, 06:07

Hey Shade7 ultimate powerplan comes with revios so it's on already, both boxes un-ticked, going to check BIOS options again and google them if needed, but it's overkill already if you ask me.

EDIT: nothing has changed, again 1st round is great, I can hit stuff and image on screen is good & smooth, but after 3-5 min it gets choppier and choppier. Every single time. I have noticed that when played with friends too, at start I was fragging but then I couldn't hit stuff.
Can it be RAM overheat/jitter, or instability? Or what can even happen every single time after PC startup? I have 3 front fans in, 3 out (rear and two on top), maybe they are not enough?

In reality it looks like this (closest resemblance I could find, so 240hz looks like 60hz with severe microstutters/choppery/jitters)
https://vimeo.com/499536071

One guy told me to test RAM with TestMem 5 (extreme setup) and to turn off SATA controllers in BIOS but there's no such option in MSI bios it looks like. I'm gonna test RAM later today maybe it's faulty so I can easily replace it.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 08 Aug 2022, 06:23

record a video with frametime and relevant temperatures up on the screen and upload it to youtube using your phone. Why do we need to see a video of someone else? only thing the video shows is the person's computer sucks ass and not much else. A) It's not your computer B) the issue you say you have of "everything is fine but I feel choppiness" will not be visible from game capture recording.

It's either going to be not fine and there will be visible metrics in the reds, or it's going to be a spooky electricity ordeal.
Iserverthefirelord wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 08:20
Okay and what happens if I buy lets say gen 12 intel mobo/cpu, or new incoming Zen 4 mobo + CPU, and maybe faster ram? What if this stupid issue comes back? How can I ensure it won't happen again?
And why does it get smoother for few days after fresh reinstall (w11 or revios, 6 months ago or two weeks ago) and then become choppy again?
Nobody can properly guide you on the matter because you are refusing to put up something real. For all we know it's still brave browser lol.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 08 Aug 2022, 06:38

I'm not doing vid with phone right now, neither I have any recording software on PC, have to install OBS or Nvidia Exp first. On many recordings I did in the past everything looked normal. I can do any other tests, e.g. HWInfo logs.
As I said the issue is more intense when moving mouse or pressing keys on keyboard. And it starts over time (first few mins of gameplay are good).

Also I did some tests recently in R6 Siege, so I have this:

vs Bots

TDM vs people

You still can see my 1% and 0.1%-s being enormously low, and I assume it's related to the issue, and my question is - what's causing it and how to pinpoint the issue and fix it.

And before you start your thing again - yes, I'm relatively good player (Diamond in siege, 2-3+ KD on infantry in BF series, dozens of top ones in Warzone before I quit etc), yes, I can tell the difference between 144 and 240 hz, and I have seen how 240 hz works in normal situation, yes it happens in many games (check my previous messages). I'm grateful for any help, but at the same time no one forces you to reply.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 08 Aug 2022, 06:50

08 Aug 2022, 06:38
And before you start your thing again - yes, I'm relatively good player (Diamond in siege, 2-3+ KD on infantry in BF series etc), yes, I can tell the difference between 144 and 240 hz
Why are you keep repeating this in this forum of all the places lol. Congratulations?

I think you are missing my point. Until this very post you have not been clear with what you wanted. Now people who wants to help can assist you better without stabbing in the dark because now they know it's the choppiness that happens when everything is not fine, not when things are indeed fine but randomly happens.

Basically this is a lag that is visible with a game capture recording, except everything you've said made it sound like it wasn't. and in the case that it was indeed one of the spooky caused input lags, IRL recording (with sound) is the only thing that can give clues as to people as to what can be causing it (preferably give us a tour of your entire gaming set up while you are at it).

if you don't believe me start counting how many suggestions there are for electrical causes in this post, because that's how your posts reads like.

and if it makes any differences, I am na silver player in csgo =) and this post could've been solved by page2.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 08 Aug 2022, 07:40

Why are you keep repeating this in this forum of all the places lol. Congratulations? I am NA silver player in csgo =)
Because you have asked me repeatedly if I am a good player, or is my brother better player than me, or can I tell the difference between 144 and 240hz screen, and do I even know how it looks like etc. lol. I'm not flexing it's just better to reply in advance :D
I know some players are really bad and blame their gear for that, or they are not sensitive to any stutters, "unsmoothness", or they don't even know how does Nvidia Panel look like, and it's totally fine.

I hope it's clearer and more helpful now - this "choppiness" starts after few mins in game, does not go away, happens in many games (not engine, launcher related etc), image on screen is not smooth either. How to call it - choppiness, not smooth image, microstutters - I have no idea tbh. It's worse in gunfights (when I move ingame with WASD or flick with my mouse, more movement = less smooth). So it's crucial in any FPS game, relatively okay in single player or in old games (but still not pleasant).

I did almost every single suggestion from this thread, and from google also, so that's why I start thinknig its hardware related. I'm about to apply Shade7's bios tweaks as well, although I did them too, before flashing older BIOS and keeping it on "default" settings now. Then I'm doing Memtest/TestMem5 extreme preset to exclude RAM at least.

Only windows fresh install helped me several times, for 3-5 days, then issue came back slowly. Last time I have installed Revios and it was smooth for five days, like it should be, then it went back to s**t. No hardware changes or extra software, tweaks etc. I have just played games and browsed stuff. But I still don't get it, if it's overheat, or faulty hardware, how does fresh W install (temporarily) fix it? If it's something wrong with Windows, what exactly then?

BTW what electrical causes are you talking about? Power saving stuff in BIOS/Windows? PSU unit? Infamous "electrical input lag/desync"? I can think of many now.
Last edited by Cyanide_ on 08 Aug 2022, 09:51, edited 2 times in total.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 08 Aug 2022, 07:53

08 Aug 2022, 07:40
I did ask some questions under the assumption that you are misrepresenting facts for whatever reason but you've just circled around it, every time.

at least this post is going to be done after 1~2 more pages instead of 10 more.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 08 Aug 2022, 08:58

So, you have any suggestions now? :D

I don't know if it's allowed by forum's rules but I'd pay to anyone who solves it. Ofc I can give up on this and buy a new PC, its easier but even then there's no 100% guarantee it's gonna be smooth and good. So I want to fix it, or at least to be sure it's caused by X thing and won't ever happen again.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 08 Aug 2022, 14:56

Measured some temps, voltages etc. in not so demanding game (Grim Dawn) but still can't tell it was smooth enough.

Also it might be totally unrelated but if i open anything in fullscreen (pic, video) in Telegram, cursor starts lagging and only stops when I'm closing media. Tried to capture it on video but on 60 fps vid it's not perceivable. Haven't tried other apps. Fullscreen optimizations are off in this version of windows so I'm even more confused. :roll:

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 08 Aug 2022, 15:21

08 Aug 2022, 14:56
Measured some temps, voltages etc. in not so demanding game (Grim Dawn) but still can't tell it was smooth enough.

Also it might be totally unrelated but if i open anything in fullscreen (pic, video) in Telegram, cursor starts lagging and only stops when I'm closing media. Tried to capture it on video but on 60 fps vid it's not perceivable. Haven't tried other apps. Fullscreen optimizations are off in this version of windows so I'm even more confused. :roll:

Have you updated bios recently. I’d make sure you have the latest one. (I assume you probably have already tried this)

Have you tested a different ram kit?

Your hwinfo64 appears alright…

Is it possible that something you are tweaking or downloading after a fresh install is lagging you?

Don’t disable page file or full screen optimizations. Also don’t use ISLC or anything like that in the background

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 09 Aug 2022, 01:50

Have you updated bios recently. I’d make sure you have the latest one. (I assume you probably have already tried this)
Actually there's a new bios but it's unclear what it does lol

Yeah I've tried the latest one (AA version, at the time), and now I'm on BIOS dated 06.2021, mobo came with it, so I'm trying to "rollback" to see if it helps.
Have you tested a different ram kit?
Not yet, can't find a good kit (friends 2400mhz one did not even start). Maybe will borrow brother's kit (exact copy of mine though).

BTW any suggestions what kit should I buy, something like DR4 2x8 Gb 3600cl16 should be good enough?
Is it possible that something you are tweaking or downloading after a fresh install is lagging you?
I was tweaking things in the past but it was basic stuff - max power in nvidia, xbox bar off, gamemode on/off, gpu schedule on/off, defender and other crap off, ultimate or high power plan etc. PC should run faster after that not throttle like crazy :lol: