240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
unluckiesttolik

Re: 240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Post by unluckiesttolik » 16 Jul 2023, 03:12

Everyone Hi, I'm not native speaker so I am so sorry.
Back in 2019 - 2021 I've had the same problem with choppy gameplay in Fortnite / CS:GO and then VALORANT.
MY PC back then :
I7 9700k
RTX 2070
2x8 Ballistix Sport LT 3200
Gigabyte z390 UD
SSD Kingston 3D 240GB / SAMSUNG EVO 970
Chieftec Proton 750w
BenQ xl2411p
My FPS always was high, temps were OK, everything seems normal, but it seemed like I had 60hz instead of 144/240, hard to describe.
I've tried TO:
-change motherboard MSI -> ASUS Z390UD
-change RAM HyperX -> BALLISTIX LT
-change GPU RTX 2070 -> GTX1060 (yes, downgrade, tested for a couple days)
-change mouse/keyboard, maybe the problem was with input, no.
-change monitor, BenQ XL2411P -> ALIENWARE AW2518HF.
-change HDMI 2.0 -> Display Port.
-all Nvidia drivers for my GPU, I was using some software to uninstall from PC.
-all drivers for the whole PC
-Overlocking
-G-sync and fps cap 237
-change my SSD SATA to M2.
I've noticed that time to time game felt better, especially at nights, so I thought that the problem is in Electricity (maybe when at night people not using it, it gets better) who knows), my mom's apartment always had problems with electricity, so I decided to test my gameplay at my grandma house(also old house and problems with electricity), - nope, didn't help.
After couple of years I gave UP, I've sold my PC and moved to another country.
After 2 years I've moved to Canada, and I've bought a PC couple weeks ago.
My PC:
Ryzen 7 5800x3d + Dark Rock PRO 4
RTX 3070
MSI MAG B550
Corsair vengeance 3600 2x16
MSI 850w PS
I downloaded VALORANT and I was so exited to feel smooth gameplay, and YES, gameplay was too smooth for me, it was even hard to shoot people, but after 3 weeks choppy gameplay is back.
I live in a new building, nobody lived here before, I noticed that 1 socket which I've used before to plug my PC is dead rn.
So, I don't know. I'm disappointed right now, because I've spent too much money on that PC/

Also my friend have the same symptoms, but he doesn't care)

HighFpsNotSmooth

Post by HighFpsNotSmooth » 30 Oct 2023, 02:43

Same issue man

Akso

Post by Akso » 31 Oct 2023, 09:22

HighFpsNotSmooth wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 02:43
Same issue man
Give a look to your DPC latency, it is maybe the culprit. I had the same issue and I resolved it by watching a lot of tutorial.
Try to go as low as possible.
And give a try to DriverCleaner to clean old useless drivers from your PC that can cause conflict.

Yagami

Post by Yagami » 11 Dec 2023, 19:21

unluckiesttolik wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 03:12
Back in 2019 - 2021 I've had the same problem with choppy gameplay in Fortnite / CS:GO and then VALORANT.
MY PC back then :
I7 9700k
RTX 2070
Gigabyte z390 UD
Chieftec Proton 750w
BenQ xl2411p
My FPS always was high, temps were OK, everything seems normal, but it seemed like I had 60hz instead of 144/240, hard to describe.
I've tried TO:
-Overlocking
-G-sync and fps cap 237
I've noticed that time to time game felt better, especially at nights, so I thought that the problem is in Electricity (maybe when at night people not using it, it gets better) who knows), my mom's apartment always had problems with electricity, so I decided to test my gameplay at my grandma house(also old house and problems with electricity), - nope, didn't help.
My PC:
RTX 3070
MSI MAG B550
MSI 850w PS
I downloaded VALORANT and I was so exited to feel smooth gameplay, and YES, gameplay was too smooth for me, it was even hard to shoot people, but after 3 weeks choppy gameplay is back.
I live in a new building, nobody lived here before, I noticed that 1 socket which I've used before to plug my PC is dead rn.
So, I don't know. I'm disappointed right now, because I've spent too much money on that PC/

Exactly the same issue, my friend, since 2018. The only solution is to stop playing video games FOREVER. In my case, I experience such an issue only in FPS games, especially in the Battlefield franchise, which I've been playing since 2011. It's interesting that I recently changed my internet service provider and also moved to a different room. The problem persists. 300~500Fps feels like I'm playing with 1000 ping. Everything seems to be in slow motion.

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 12 Dec 2023, 05:31

Akso wrote:
31 Oct 2023, 09:22
HighFpsNotSmooth wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 02:43
Same issue man
Give a look to your DPC latency, it is maybe the culprit. I had the same issue and I resolved it by watching a lot of tutorial.
Try to go as low as possible.
And give a try to DriverCleaner to clean old useless drivers from your PC that can cause conflict.
Would you mind to show which exactly videos did you watch? And do you have an Intel or AMD system?

Sambyal

Post by Sambyal » 12 Dec 2023, 08:30

unluckiesttolik wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 03:12
MY PC back then :
I7 9700k
RTX 2070
Gigabyte z390 UD
Chieftec Proton 750w
BenQ xl2411p
I've tried TO:
-Overlocking
-G-sync and fps cap 237
My PC:
RTX 3070
MSI MAG B550
MSI 850w PS

Its due to windows defender messing up all online games, check you my comment in other recent topic. windows wont let you disable defender .

you can disable via ( control panel, group policy or registry ) but it wont work in reality even though it shows disable in control.panel settings.

run the below cmd command

sc query Windefend

check status shluld be stopped then only its stopped im permanently.

r0ach

Post by r0ach » 12 Dec 2023, 09:39

There's no way I'm reading through this entire 14 pages, but the answer is likely:

1) Using a big GPU with 1080p res and your GPU downclocks and is choppy at the lower clock speed

2) Some monitors have compatibility issues with certain GPUs. People have reported frame skipping with (I think it was the 500hz Alienware) on AMD and then I think monitors like the Acer 1440p 240hz W2 model has problems on Nvidia cards.

3) Possibly something to do with wrong memory settings on AMD systems as I've never experienced issues like this on any Intel build which are less sensitive to these issues.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 12 Dec 2023, 09:56

r0ach wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 09:39
There's no way I'm reading through this entire 14 pages, but the answer is likely:

1) Using a big GPU with 1080p res and your GPU downclocks and is choppy at the lower clock speed

2) Some monitors have compatibility issues with certain GPUs. People have reported frame skipping with (I think it was the 500hz Alienware) on AMD and then I think monitors like the Acer 1440p 240hz W2 model has problems on Nvidia cards.

3) Possibly something to do with wrong memory settings on AMD systems as I've never experienced issues like this on any Intel build which are less sensitive to these issues.
Nah lol I wish it was GPU or AMD, it's on PC, laptop, phone, consoles etc. and in "non-input" place it's suddenly all good.

There were weeks (!) when it was also good, but i did some dumb shit like adding m2 drive, or swapping dp cable + putting router to the same power strip as pc&monitor, and everything worked perfectly also, 240 hz felt like 240 hz, near-instant reg, no fps drops no chopiness and so on. Don't ask me how and why that helped lmao.

I'm also working with sound (sort of) and even on laptop I'm hearing mains hum in earbuds, that laptop also has metal case and is "vibrating" every time I'm touching it; on PC it's some screetching in headset while in game, tied to FPS (more fps=higher pitch), speakers in living room are also humming. So it's a ground loop or even bigger issue in apartment or house I haven't solved yet. Voice chat, recordings or even editing videos - it's all crap, as you might've guessed.

I also got AM radio and EMF meter and tested it all and everywhere, tried power station with pure sine wave, 4g, changed ISP twice, and tried way more things than that. Still no luck.

I'm also hearing some noise from time to time in kitchen/bathroom and it's coming from above, so maybe it's interfering somehow (it's 100 hz hum like transformer, or motor), because before there was no noise & no lag either. If that's not it, I have no idea then what it is.
Edit: it appears that noise is coming from top floor (im living 2 floors below) and it's some "engine room" or whatever its called, and it's linked to elevator. Can it have some invertor/motor/transformer or any "noisy" component which is spreading EMI through air, and through walls & 5-6 meters from me?

P.S. I'm the topicstarter and these guy have just invaded my thread :D
Last edited by Cyanide_ on 15 Dec 2023, 09:02, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 310094303 » 15 Dec 2023, 08:49

r0ach wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 09:39

same for Intel

rekaa02511

Post by rekaa02511 » 19 Dec 2023, 10:26

Has anyone successfully fixed this? I had exactly what OP described but I had floaty mouse and very inaccurate but it was fixed by changing PSU with higer Voltage and upgrading to a more recent BIOS but the choppy/unsmooth gameplay is still happening.