240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
DPRTMELR

Re: 240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Post by DPRTMELR » 12 Jul 2022, 20:41

Latency Monitor by resplendence simulates a load already. Merely running it for a couple minutes will suffice. You're not supposed to run it while gaming in the background. Can you screenshot your results by just running latency monitor for a couple of minutes?
My computer is alright so I am not going to. (I am not the OP was just weighing in). But I disagree with that sentiment because sometimes the cores your drivers are hogging moves around based on whether the game is on or not. I think it's definetely worth to have it run in game at least once.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 12 Jul 2022, 23:41

Can you screenshot your results by just running latency monitor for a couple of minutes by itself?
Hey man, I'm OP and I'm eternally grateful for you comprehensive post above. Gotta try that step by step again and will respond later.

Here's my result by just "afk" latency monitor measurement with no apps launched in background

https://imgur.com/a/T3nA94e

I've tested a game again with new mouse (cheap "gaming" one) I've borrowed from friend

https://imgur.com/a/Cye39F4

Also gotta borrow another mouse (Logitech G603 wireless), swap parts (PSU, RAM, drives etc) and see if there are any hardware changes at all.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 13 Jul 2022, 00:11

I would suggest you stay on all default for the time being. If you were good before without them you don't need them right this moment, you are only opening more room for variables that you aren't sure of. You should figure "it" out and then do tweaks to improve things more.

For gaming right now tonight, try disabling SMT (the amd's hyperthreading stuff). Your thread 0 and 1 is being stressed by wdf and nvidia (both on core 0) and this is a low latency forum :D
Also gotta borrow another mouse (Logitech G603 wireless), swap parts (PSU, RAM, drives etc) and see if there are any hardware changes at all.
Please promise you will also bring a usb stick with ltsc lol(try something before 2019, older if your game allows it). I know you think I am crazy but you are seriously underestimating how bad window10 has become.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 13 Jul 2022, 06:07

Please promise you will also bring a usb stick with ltsc lol(try something before 2019, older if your game allows it). I know you think I am crazy but you are seriously underestimating how bad window10 has become.
Nah you have a point there, as well as in your previous messages. Windows is becoming less and less gaming friendly... when I bought 144 hz monitor back in 2017, gaming was the best back there, even on much weaker PC, I swear I've never seen such fluidity since then. And I might be too sensitive to that.
So I'm gonna try old LTSC build later today, Battlefield 4 is gonna work there I'm 1000% sure, not sure about RTX 3000 drivers though.
For gaming right now tonight, try disabling SMT (the amd's hyperthreading stuff). Your thread 0 and 1 is being stressed by wdf and nvidia (both on core 0) and this is a low latency forum :D
I'll give it a shot too.
Can it be "faulty" CPU? Maybe one of its six physical cores is not working propertly or something.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 13 Jul 2022, 08:05

Iserverthefirelord wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 06:07
Nah you have a point there, as well as in your previous messages. Windows is becoming less and less gaming friendly... when I bought 144 hz monitor back in 2017, gaming was the best back there, even on much weaker PC, I swear I've never seen such fluidity since then. And I might be too sensitive to that.
So I'm gonna try old LTSC build later today, Battlefield 4 is gonna work there I'm 1000% sure, not sure about RTX 3000 drivers though.
redstone 1809 is the earliest version for rtx 30 support but do google to double check.

I'll give it a shot too.
Can it be "faulty" CPU? Maybe one of its six physical cores is not working propertly or something.
no clue, but disabling smt is most reliable way of reducing latency getting more fps etc. from bios settings, and it will most likely fix your problem of core0 doing everything on it's own, hopefully maybe.

Melkxz

Post by Melkxz » 13 Jul 2022, 09:23

I have a 5600x

Disabling SMT did nothing about reducing my latency.

Major improvement came from playing with my ram timings and using a stripped os (revios).

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 13 Jul 2022, 10:35

Melkxz wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 09:23
I have a 5600x

Disabling SMT did nothing about reducing my latency.

Major improvement came from playing with my ram timings and using a stripped os (revios).
What issues do you have man?

Melkxz

Post by Melkxz » 13 Jul 2022, 13:18

I had a very inconsistent mouse and motion clarity was not as good as what I'm experiencing now (I thought It was my eyes, because I was recovering from a sickness that can cause eyes problems).

I would have rated my mouse a 3/10, and a 7/10 the good days. Now it's a solid 10.

I feel motion clarity is a lot better now with or without gsync. My monitor (samsung G7) got a lot of firmware update, i think it helped a lot.

For me fixing my ram timings and settings was the key : xmp gave me weird numbers. When I use the recommanded ones it was unstable.

I can share my settings but it's "standard" no eco/agressive load line/No PBO or Boost (locked 4,5ghz) etc.

Now it's so easy to install an os with rufus and an usb key : You should try a stripped os like revios or more secure : install windows LTSC.

Recently I swapped from 600 dpi to 1600 : help a lot too with motion clarity too.

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 13 Jul 2022, 13:55

Iserverthefirelord wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 23:41
Can you screenshot your results by just running latency monitor for a couple of minutes by itself?
Hey man, I'm OP and I'm eternally grateful for you comprehensive post above. Gotta try that step by step again and will respond later.

Here's my result by just "afk" latency monitor measurement with no apps launched in background

https://imgur.com/a/T3nA94e

I've tested a game again with new mouse (cheap "gaming" one) I've borrowed from friend

https://imgur.com/a/Cye39F4

Some quick thoughts on your latmon results. Wow. Your system has some serious issues in regards to latency. Your system's 'Average Measured Interrupt to DPC Latency' of "2.37us" is incredibly high. This really shouldn't be any higher than 1.2-1.3 and even that is high for my standards. This number however only tells you part of the story. Under drivers, both your WDF and NDIS driver latencies are high, roughly 2x what they should be. WDF = USB/Mouse, NDIS = Network Adapter. I posted a screenshot comparing my work system which isn't even optimized for gaming compared to your system. Left is mine, right is yours. This is just to give you an idea of more acceptable numbers to shoot for. When I'm at my gaming rig, I can post back the results of mine as well for comparison's sake.

The good news is that a problem has been identified. Now you just have to go down the list of necessary optimizations and troubleshooting to resolve it. Latency Monitor is great for troubleshooting driver issues and latency. The largest contributors to increasing latency will be power saving features in your BIOS such as c-states, PSS (AMD cool n Quiet), thermal monitor, speedstep (intel). You can also cut down latency by disabling hyperthreading / SMT. In your OS, the biggest contributors to achieving low latency will be your devices running in MSI mode (Primarily your GPU and USB controllers), utilizing a high performance power plan (Disabling USB Select Suspend, PCI Power Saving, CPU MAX/MIN set to 100%) and running a timer resolution tool to force .5ms timer resolution. Also, if you have faulty drivers, this can contribute to increased latency, stuttering, spikes, etc. The most common faulty drivers tend to be your audio or nic.
Attachments
Measured Interrupt to User Process Latency.png
Measured Interrupt to User Process Latency.png (98.98 KiB) Viewed 5238 times

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 13 Jul 2022, 13:56

DPRTMELR wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 20:41
Latency Monitor by resplendence simulates a load already. Merely running it for a couple minutes will suffice. You're not supposed to run it while gaming in the background. Can you screenshot your results by just running latency monitor for a couple of minutes?
My computer is alright so I am not going to. (I am not the OP was just weighing in). But I disagree with that sentiment because sometimes the cores your drivers are hogging moves around based on whether the game is on or not. I think it's definetely worth to have it run in game at least once.
My bad. :) Thanks for pointing me to the ACTUAL OP.