240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Shade7

Re: 240 hz feels like 60 hz, high fps, choppy image, not smooth

Post by Shade7 » 11 Jul 2022, 01:39

Melkxz wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 16:35
Disable XHCI hands off and USB legacy in mb.

Use 1600dpi : pretty easy for you to divide your in game/windows mouse sens by 2.
Why should those 2 settings be disabled in bios? My ASUS B550 has them on Enabled & Auto as default.

Are those known to cause mouse issues for today's rigs? (good hardware + Win 10/11)

Have been trying to search more info on them, but found very few discussions overall.

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 11 Jul 2022, 08:17

you gotta show us the cpus page as well ithink. maybe try and get a second mouse.
I've played 1h of Battlefield 1, that's how it looks in Latencymon

Disable XHCI hands off and USB legacy in mb.

Use 1600dpi : pretty easy for you to divide your in game/windows mouse sens by 2.
I'm gonna try it thanks for suggestion. Also have tried 500hz instead of 1000, for mouse and it's slightly smoother but still far from perfect.

delve

Post by delve » 11 Jul 2022, 08:41

try a fresh windows install from an older iso and only install older driver, maybe from 8+ months ago. Make sure to disable all auto driver updates, there are different ways to do that.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 11 Jul 2022, 15:29

try a fresh windows install from an older iso and only install older driver, maybe from 8+ months ago. Make sure to disable all auto driver updates, there are different ways to do that.
This has been my suggestion since page 1 but I guess he's having his lazy moments. But then he is claiming his fps dropped a lot as well so who knows.
I'm gonna try it thanks for suggestion. Also have tried 500hz instead of 1000, for mouse and it's slightly smoother but still far from perfect.
Easiest temporary fix based on latencymon is unassigning thread 0 and 1 from your game's affinity settings on task manager if your game allows it should get some fps back up.
Why should those 2 settings be disabled in bios? My ASUS B550 has them on Enabled & Auto as default.

Are those known to cause mouse issues for today's rigs? (good hardware + Win 10/11)
Whatever works best for you. Idea is that every mouse is build on usb 2.0 tech. and motherboards have these switch controllers that automatically shifts your port from ver 2 or 3 depending on what's plugged in. Problem is this switch feature is a bandaid quick fix to a problem that did not exist just a few years ago and people think disabling any kind of xhci handoff will get rid of any disruptions that could potentially come from the board's switching mechanism.

Nerds have been raving about the setting back when windows 7 was new too, but I can't speak for them.

• USB has been around for a long time and we added USB 3.2 Gen 2x2. The controller is matured.
("confidential information" email signature can suck me)

That's a quote from asus email support when I bugged them about their mismapping of the usbports after I find out their usbs are color coded wrong on top of their asmedia ports sucking extra hard. Their primary goal is to get a little rma as possible for having usb ports "broken".

For better or worse the mouse movement is in fact different with them on or off and I have them off (again, absolutely no clue if its factually better or not) because I don't trust my board manufacturer's approach to usb ports, at least for the board I am using right now.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

afn7

Post by afn7 » 11 Jul 2022, 17:07

Can you check your GPU 8pin connectors?

Like in this video: https://youtu.be/gVZDB-9vKPY?t=959

It's like my monitors(360hz, 240hz) feel better after doing this.

Summary of the video: Use 2 separate 8pin Pcie connectors from the PSU.
Asus Rog Strix z590 Gaming E
Intel I7 11700k
Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz cl16
Msi RTX 3060 TI Ventus 3x OC
CM Power supply 750w 80+ Bronze

Cyanide_

Post by Cyanide_ » 12 Jul 2022, 00:22

This has been my suggestion since page 1 but I guess he's having his lazy moments. But then he is claiming his fps dropped a lot as well so who knows.
I've said it before, multiple times - I did like 7-8 fresh installs of w10, w11, even Ubuntu. Wanted to try some old ltsc build,. but can't do it rn because of IRL activity, maybe in few days.
Summary of the video: Use 2 separate 8pin Pcie connectors from the PSU.
Tried that in the past, nothing changed, might do it again just for safety. Thank your for suggestion.

I'm about to try a new mouse also (another gaming one).

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 12 Jul 2022, 00:29

Iserverthefirelord wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 00:22
I've said it before, multiple times - I did like 7-8 fresh installs of w10, w11, even Ubuntu. Wanted to try some old ltsc build, but can't do it rn because of IRL activity, maybe in few days.
Yeah and there's reason why it's being repeated. MS nerfing windows for hardcore gaming is real bro. if you get a vacation one of these days try out windows 7 you may shed tears. I am on 21h2 with bandaid fixes but I ought to gtfo to ltsc's myself.

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 12 Jul 2022, 00:37

Iserverthefirelord wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 11:27
Ive never seen "gamebarpresencewriter" in my Latencymon reports, only some Nvidia kernel crap, and now Lmon looks fine after playing couple of rounds

I'm at 800 dpi currently with 1000 hz polling rate, haven't installed Logitech software yet, dunno I tested again moving with keyboard only and game was pretty fluid and 1% 0.1% looked normal (above 200), when I start flicking or pressing mouse too fast or something fluidity comes away and theres comes the choppines and "microstutters" (I'm not sure its a correct word to describe it since I have never had any stutters, not in last 10 years at least).

Is there something with the mouse, polling rate, sensor, or its just too old (guess I bought it in 2018)? Or with USB ports/hubs in MoBo? Don't have any spare gaming mouse also, only some cheap $10 office mice.
Buddy, 52.920us on your wdf driver IS NOT GOOD. You have some serious driver issues as a bare minimum. Your wdf driver is your mouse/USB driver and this should never spike above 3-5us. I've never seen a spike that high on the wdf/USB driver.

Open up the drivers tab and look on the list for the wdf driver. It will show your average dpc latency for that driver and it should be in the range of .02-.035us average. Post back a screenshot of the driver tab results.

Is your power plan set correctly? USB select suspend needs to be disabled. Also, just because your wdf/USB driver is spiking doesn't mean your USB driver is faulty. Faulty audio/nic drivers can also significantly impact your wdf driver I'd focus on fixing this first. I'd start cancelling our variables to see what's responsible for spiking your wdf driver. Run latency monitor and while it's running, open device manager and disable your nic first. If the wdf latency corrects itself you know you have a faulty nic driver. If disabling your nic had no impact, disable your audio device driver next and see if that corrects your latency. Find the culprit then try different driver versions.

Also, you need to make sure all power saving and throttling mechanisms are disabled in your bios. I see prior comments in this thread that explain this well. These need to be disabled, otherwise you won't get accurate dpc latency readings via latmon.

Can you also click on the stats page and screenshot that as well. It will show average overall system latency.

Edit: I scrolled up and see you already posted screens of the driver and processes tab. I can tell you your system latency, not just wdf, is fucked. Yes, these readings are consistent w/ the problem you described. Gameplay will be abysmal w/ latency this high.

When I see latency this high it's almost always because the bios has not been optimized properly . Disable PSS (and cool n quiet), c-states, thermal throttling, etc. Can you take a picture w/ your phone showing you disabled these settings? It looks to me like you haven't. There was a prior comment in this thread with good bios optimization suggestions. Follow those. Make sure your devices are running in MSI mode, primarily your gpu and USB controllers. Run timer resolution or ISLC and set timer resolution to .5ms. Keep this running while you game. I'm having trouble believing you did all these things and still have latency issues like that.

I'd also consider downloading power settings explorer, Google it. Open it up and scroll down to the CPU settings. Untick allow throttle states and idle states. After you do this, close this app and go into your power plan advanced options and scroll down to CPU settings. Disable allow throttle states and idle states. Once again, make sure USB suspend is DISABLED. Run latmon again and post results. Also, disable xmp and run memory at stock native speeds and see if this has any impact on your doc latency. Faulty or incompatible memorycoukd also be a potential culprit.

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 12 Jul 2022, 01:21

Edit: I scrolled up and see you already posted screens of the driver and processes tab. I can tell you your system latency, not just wdf, is fucked. Yes, these readings are consistent w/ the problem you described. Gameplay will be abysmal w/ latency this high.
That was recorded over 35min~1hour of gameplay supposedly, that's rather excellent isn't it? tbh I actually haven't done these over 20 minutes ever but I figure there would be hiccups related to server joining and what not.

Also I am against having any of these battle.net/steam/origin programs running in the background for games you aren't playing at that moment. (fewer backgrounds = better duh, but those three or similar programs specifically I don't like it) I know task manager reads 1% or less probably but I really don't think its ideal from total anecdotal standpoint.

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 12 Jul 2022, 20:38

DPRTMELR wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 01:21
That was recorded over 35min~1hour of gameplay supposedly, that's rather excellent isn't it? tbh I actually haven't done these over 20 minutes ever but I figure there would be hiccups related to server joining and what not.

Also I am against having any of these battle.net/steam/origin programs running in the background for games you aren't playing at that moment. (fewer backgrounds = better duh, but those three or similar programs specifically I don't like it) I know task manager reads 1% or less probably but I really don't think its ideal from total anecdotal standpoint.
Latency Monitor by resplendence simulates a load already. Merely running it for a couple minutes will suffice. You're not supposed to keep it running while gaming. Can you screenshot your results by just running latency monitor for a couple of minutes by itself?