My solution for input lag mice issues, this might help some of you!

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
lowel

My solution for input lag mice issues, this might help some of you!

Post by lowel » 06 Jul 2022, 08:00

Hello everyone! My name is Christian im 25 years old, my nickname as a professional CSGO/Valorant player is lowel and i've been playing/competing since i was 11 years old! I also played multiple online/lan tournaments during my career on CSGO, now im playing on Valorant.

The reason why i created this post its because i've been having some issues with input lag during the last 4 months since i moved to my actual appartment, and i actually fixed it and im gonna explain in this post how i did it, and maybe it can help some people which i know a lot of people have it.

Im a person who can feel every single small detail in terms of mouse feeling/delay/input lag. Since i played in a lot of different setups during this 14 years that i've been playing and i know how the game must feel correctly with no issues,
during this 4 months i've been experiencing like some "acceleration" / "input lag" on my mouse, the feeling of the mouse when i was flicking or trying to aim to people, it was like "floaty" feeling, kinda the same when you have acceleration from windows on. (of course i disabled this option)

Well, during this 4 months since i moved to my new house, i've been reading literally the whole internet finding for a solution, reddit, tom's hardware and multiple websites with people who had the same issue as me, or at least, the same feeling with the issue with the mouse, i tried everything. Windows tweaks, BIOS Settings, different mices, nvidia drivers, nvidia settings, monitor, DisplayPort, USB, Different windows, Bought Ferrite cables and Power Supply, etc.

(The reason why i bought a Power Supply and Ferrite Cables, it was because i read some post saying that this issue with the input lag, it might be because some EMI (Electromagnetic Interferences) or something related to the grounding/electricity of the house, and yes, this can cause input lag issues)

Here is the thing, i was playing aim_botz on CS:GO and it was bad like always, then suddendly i thought about removing my Ethernet Cable and play without internet, well, at the beginning the feeling of the mouse it was better, and after 1-2 minutes playing aim_botz, the feeling of the mouse it was completely perfect, really responsive without that floaty feeling when you stop the crosshair to shoot, or when you want to flick.

Im gonna try to explain why this is happening, in my case, i was playing with an UTP CAT5 Ethernet Cable, my router is on the living room (because the box of the fiber is there and we can't change it) and my setup where im playing, is on the 3rd floor (i live in a pretty big house) so, the route of my Ethernet cable was like this, Router -> switch (both in living room) -> PC, from the switch all the way up to the 3rd floor where my PC is so the Ethernet Cable is not in the middle of the my house, stairs, etc. (something like this https://imgur.com/VhlxAAS) Sorry, im a really bad paint player xD

My switch was inside a box which everyhouse has, that inside that box, every light cable from the house is there, it looks something like this (https://indunova.es/wp-content/uploads/ ... icos-6.jpg) inside it was the switch and some tubes that are going inside the wall to the 2nd/3rd floor, and my Ethernet cable was inside those tubes going to my room.

------ HERE IS THE REASON WHY I WAS HAVING INPUT LAG ------

Basically the light cables (maybe also the switch) inside that box where my Ethernet cable was going through, was causing interferences into the Ethernet Cable CAT5 and thats the reason why i had the input lag, i just bought an Ethernet CAT8 SFTP Cable and it got fixed (https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B08749 ... UTF8&psc=1) and im gonna explain why this is happening.

https://cdn.computerhoy.com/sites/navi. ... k=PKTDvJqE

If you open the picture i post above, you can see clearly that the UTP Cable compared to the other ones (FTP, STP, SFTP) it doesnt have any shielding around the cables, and THATS WHY any CABLE/DISPLAY you have around your PC/Ethernet Cable, can cause this kind of inputlag/issues (interferences) in your computer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1. Buy an SFTP Ethernet Cable so any interferences that any display/cable from your house, is not gonna affect you (in theory this cable has protection against interferences, but anyways, i would try to put the Ethernet cable far away to any light cables or whatever, just in case)

2. Be aware that light cables or any other display, may cause you interferences and maybe causing you some other issues, if your Ethernet cable is not as good as an SFTP Ethernet Cable

3. Im aware that this solution is not 100% for everyone! but for me, since i tried everything possible in this world, it was the solution, but maybe you have a different issue.

4. I tried my best to explain my experience and im pretty sure i missed some stuff since english is not my mother lenguage, i apologize.

FUN FACT: My best friend which is working in a company where they put internet/cameras/light into Schools and other big places, had the same issue but with surveillance cameras, here is what happened, a friend of him installed an UTP Ethernet Cable throught the place, and because of this, the surveillance cameras was having interferences constantly, because it was UTP, and every other cables around that, was causing interferences into the cameras. (Black Screens, Screen blinking, picture black/white, more issues) they put a better cable with shielding and protection to this interferences, and it got fixed.

I hope guys this can help you to fix the issue, as i said, i've been reading a lot of websites, reading about this issue about 7-8 hours a day to fix it, and i didnt see anything about Ethernet Cables, thats why i decided to create this post and explain my experience so it can maybe help some of you guys <3.

If you have some experiences, im able to talk on my twitter -> lowelcs - but it would be nice if you guys can talk through here so everyone who needs help, is aware about everything.

Have a great day, Christian

joseph_from_pilsen

Re: My solution for input lag mice issues, this might help some of you!

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 06 Jul 2022, 16:11

Russlan internet is so toxic that it infected your mouse :lol:

In western countries this problem is not so huge, our cables contain so low amount of copper that there is nearly no induction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZIpFytCSVc

And for other owners of Logitech G pro x superlight / Pro mouses: This mouse is really sensible to anything, i had similar issue until i moved my router to the next room, the issue was with WiFi antennas distorting most of the wireless bandwith at close range. Because at close range any WiFi trash device can transmit even out of the channel range, similar problem was with ubiquiti hardware, at 1-2m distance it trashes almost all bands, not only the ones it should be transmitting so we needed to place these drecks 2m away from each other and anything other to not kill effectively the whole site.
Technically: It transmit with 50-70db less performance even out of the selected channel mask. So if you transmit e. g. at 2447Mhz, it will transmit not only at the 20/40mhz 2.4Ghz channel width but it will transmit with low but noticable power at the whole band spectrum from e. g. 400 to 7000Mhz effectively trashing RF devices in surrounding space in the room / at roof. Good idea is to ALUMINIUM shield these drecks to prevent them from doing this thing. Not only antennas but also RF card inside these drecks.

omusubi0216

Post by omusubi0216 » 06 Jul 2022, 21:49

OMG lowel!? holy I'd never thought I would see you here my GOAT

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 07 Jul 2022, 00:57

Thank you for sharing with everyone. I'm very glad you were able to fix your issues.

Will it fix my input lag? Probably not.

Will I order a CAT8 SFTP Cable in a minute? You bet. :lol:

DPRTMELR

Post by DPRTMELR » 07 Jul 2022, 01:32

ugh i was excited to see this until I found out these are the one I bought last time =\ supposedly shielded but I don't know if these have proper specification i just bought it because they were on sale last time i needed one

but kinda offtopic and kinda not really: i bought the 75 feet cable before cause I needed liek 60 feet long, but I am now in the same room as the router. do you think it's worth buying shorter cable? like something under 16 feet? i remebmer looking this up and spec wise, the answer was no but I am curious for irl cases.
Last edited by DPRTMELR on 07 Jul 2022, 03:57, edited 3 times in total.
Most adults need 7-8 hours of sleep each night. - US FDA

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 07 Jul 2022, 01:35

I have noticed something strange about this and something very relevant. I will move my pc outside to the balcony and I’ll wrap it with aluminium then I’ll use wifi. Windows install will be used as well

mybad

Post by mybad » 07 Jul 2022, 01:49

While people with optic fibre connection have an "input lag" problem, all ethernet cable fix is useless.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 07 Jul 2022, 03:29

lowel wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 08:00
Hello everyone! My name is Christian im 25 years old, my nickname as a professional CSGO/Valorant player is lowel and i've been playing/competing since i was 11 years old! I also played multiple online/lan tournaments during my career on CSGO, now im playing on Valorant.

The reason why i created this post its because i've been having some issues with input lag during the last 4 months since i moved to my actual appartment, and i actually fixed it and im gonna explain in this post how i did it, and maybe it can help some people which i know a lot of people have it.

Im a person who can feel every single small detail in terms of mouse feeling/delay/input lag. Since i played in a lot of different setups during this 14 years that i've been playing and i know how the game must feel correctly with no issues,
during this 4 months i've been experiencing like some "acceleration" / "input lag" on my mouse, the feeling of the mouse when i was flicking or trying to aim to people, it was like "floaty" feeling, kinda the same when you have acceleration from windows on. (of course i disabled this option)

Well, during this 4 months since i moved to my new house, i've been reading literally the whole internet finding for a solution, reddit, tom's hardware and multiple websites with people who had the same issue as me, or at least, the same feeling with the issue with the mouse, i tried everything. Windows tweaks, BIOS Settings, different mices, nvidia drivers, nvidia settings, monitor, DisplayPort, USB, Different windows, Bought Ferrite cables and Power Supply, etc.

(The reason why i bought a Power Supply and Ferrite Cables, it was because i read some post saying that this issue with the input lag, it might be because some EMI (Electromagnetic Interferences) or something related to the grounding/electricity of the house, and yes, this can cause input lag issues)

Here is the thing, i was playing aim_botz on CS:GO and it was bad like always, then suddendly i thought about removing my Ethernet Cable and play without internet, well, at the beginning the feeling of the mouse it was better, and after 1-2 minutes playing aim_botz, the feeling of the mouse it was completely perfect, really responsive without that floaty feeling when you stop the crosshair to shoot, or when you want to flick.

Im gonna try to explain why this is happening, in my case, i was playing with an UTP CAT5 Ethernet Cable, my router is on the living room (because the box of the fiber is there and we can't change it) and my setup where im playing, is on the 3rd floor (i live in a pretty big house) so, the route of my Ethernet cable was like this, Router -> switch (both in living room) -> PC, from the switch all the way up to the 3rd floor where my PC is so the Ethernet Cable is not in the middle of the my house, stairs, etc. (something like this https://imgur.com/VhlxAAS) Sorry, im a really bad paint player xD

My switch was inside a box which everyhouse has, that inside that box, every light cable from the house is there, it looks something like this (https://indunova.es/wp-content/uploads/ ... icos-6.jpg) inside it was the switch and some tubes that are going inside the wall to the 2nd/3rd floor, and my Ethernet cable was inside those tubes going to my room.

------ HERE IS THE REASON WHY I WAS HAVING INPUT LAG ------

Basically the light cables (maybe also the switch) inside that box where my Ethernet cable was going through, was causing interferences into the Ethernet Cable CAT5 and thats the reason why i had the input lag, i just bought an Ethernet CAT8 SFTP Cable and it got fixed (https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B08749 ... UTF8&psc=1) and im gonna explain why this is happening.

https://cdn.computerhoy.com/sites/navi. ... k=PKTDvJqE

If you open the picture i post above, you can see clearly that the UTP Cable compared to the other ones (FTP, STP, SFTP) it doesnt have any shielding around the cables, and THATS WHY any CABLE/DISPLAY you have around your PC/Ethernet Cable, can cause this kind of inputlag/issues (interferences) in your computer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1. Buy an SFTP Ethernet Cable so any interferences that any display/cable from your house, is not gonna affect you (in theory this cable has protection against interferences, but anyways, i would try to put the Ethernet cable far away to any light cables or whatever, just in case)

2. Be aware that light cables or any other display, may cause you interferences and maybe causing you some other issues, if your Ethernet cable is not as good as an SFTP Ethernet Cable

3. Im aware that this solution is not 100% for everyone! but for me, since i tried everything possible in this world, it was the solution, but maybe you have a different issue.

4. I tried my best to explain my experience and im pretty sure i missed some stuff since english is not my mother lenguage, i apologize.

FUN FACT: My best friend which is working in a company where they put internet/cameras/light into Schools and other big places, had the same issue but with surveillance cameras, here is what happened, a friend of him installed an UTP Ethernet Cable throught the place, and because of this, the surveillance cameras was having interferences constantly, because it was UTP, and every other cables around that, was causing interferences into the cameras. (Black Screens, Screen blinking, picture black/white, more issues) they put a better cable with shielding and protection to this interferences, and it got fixed.

I hope guys this can help you to fix the issue, as i said, i've been reading a lot of websites, reading about this issue about 7-8 hours a day to fix it, and i didnt see anything about Ethernet Cables, thats why i decided to create this post and explain my experience so it can maybe help some of you guys <3.

If you have some experiences, im able to talk on my twitter -> lowelcs - but it would be nice if you guys can talk through here so everyone who needs help, is aware about everything.

Have a great day, Christian
If you don't mind me asking this, how long has this fix been working for you? As for me, my modem is in the room, and it has only 1 ethernet port that is used to be plugged directly into my PC. I have bought a cat7 sftp a year ago, it immediately made a difference for about 2 days then the lag came back, even after trying to ground the other end of the cat7 cable since most ISP modems/routers don't really offer grounded ports, the problem was still there.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

lowel

Post by lowel » 07 Jul 2022, 03:32

joseph_from_pilsen wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 16:11
Russlan internet is so toxic that it infected your mouse :lol:

In western countries this problem is not so huge, our cables contain so low amount of copper that there is nearly no induction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZIpFytCSVc

And for other owners of Logitech G pro x superlight / Pro mouses: This mouse is really sensible to anything, i had similar issue until i moved my router to the next room, the issue was with WiFi antennas distorting most of the wireless bandwith at close range. Because at close range any WiFi trash device can transmit even out of the channel range, similar problem was with ubiquiti hardware, at 1-2m distance it trashes almost all bands, not only the ones it should be transmitting so we needed to place these drecks 2m away from each other and anything other to not kill effectively the whole site.
Technically: It transmit with 50-70db less performance even out of the selected channel mask. So if you transmit e. g. at 2447Mhz, it will transmit not only at the 20/40mhz 2.4Ghz channel width but it will transmit with low but noticable power at the whole band spectrum from e. g. 400 to 7000Mhz effectively trashing RF devices in surrounding space in the room / at roof. Good idea is to ALUMINIUM shield these drecks to prevent them from doing this thing. Not only antennas but also RF card inside these drecks.
Hello Joshep! Thats really good info about the WiFi issues! I didnt know about that, im glad that you fixed it, im using also superlight and i realized time ago that you should plug in the USB on BIOS like this! -> https://miro.medium.com/max/1400/1*HT-3 ... ltQ-A.jpeg maybe this helps someone.
DPRTMELR wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 01:32
ugh i was excited to see this until I found out until these are the one I am using =\ supposedly shielded but I don't know if these have proper specification or is it just marketing i dont know

but in similar spirits, are there any sleeves you can purchase in order to specifically "shield" for these interferences? or is it more complicated than that. i wouldn't do it to a mouse but i can properly live with it on headphones or keyboards

also i bought the 75 feet before cause I needed it, but I am now in the same room as the router. do you think it's worth buying shorter cable? like something under 16 feet? i remebmer looking this up and spec wise, the answer is no.
Hello DPRTMELR! About the SFTP Cable, i think they are just marketing, i dont think there is a huge different, if there is something about shielding those interferences, i recommend you some ferrite cables, i tried this myself, but it was not what fix my issue, but im aware that some people tried them and worth put them eventho is not fixing the input lag. https://www.amazon.es/s?k=ferrite+core& ... _sb_noss_1

About the shorter cable, i think it doesnt matter, im also playing with an 75 feet since the cable is going from the living room to my 3rd floor. If you have input lag issues bro and this Ethernet cable didnt fix it, i recommend you to do this, ALSO FOR EVERYONE, time ago, i was playing ESL PRO LEAGUE in Montpellier, the feeling of the mouse and the PC was perfect, after i came back home i played some minutes and the feeling of the mouse was terrible, like acceleration ON from windows, i've been trying to fix it for 2-3 weeks and nothing. Here is the thing, i asked one of the admins from ESL Pro League about this issue and he helped me.

Im aware that the fix im gonna say, it works only for INTEL CPU's, what you have to do is install every chipset, but especially this one.
"Intel Management Interface" or "Intel Managemenet Engine" after i downloaded this myself after coming back from Montpellier, the issue about the input lag/acceleration, it was fixed, so by saying this, if changing the Ethernet cable doesnt do anything, try to install this chipset incase you have INTEL.

If you have AMD, im not sure, but try to install every chipset from your MOBO/CPU, i also did myself when i had AMD but i changed to Intel 4 days ago because i've never played with AMD in my life, i just changed when Intel in Valorant was not working properly.

Hope this helps you and also to everyone, remember, if the Ethernet cable is not the solution, try to install the chipsets from your MOBO/CPU, and if you have INTEL, install Intel Management Interface

lowel

Post by lowel » 07 Jul 2022, 03:39

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 03:29
If you don't mind me asking this, how long has this fix been working for you? As for me, my modem is in the room, and it has only 1 ethernet port that is used to be plugged directly into my PC. I have bought a cat7 sftp a year ago, it immediately made a difference for about 2 days then the lag came back, even after trying to ground the other end of the cat7 cable since most ISP modems/routers don't really offer grounded ports, the problem was still there.
Hello Weirdinputlag!, No issues so far since the day i fixed, hope it stays like this. The difference that i have compared to you is that my router has more Ethernet Ports, but to be honest, i dont think this is gonna have any impact... About the CAT7 Cable, i think that cable should be good enough, but since i fixed this issue with a CAT8 SFTP, im not sure if this is gonna make a huge difference.

I replied the other guys about the chipset stuff! If you have INTEL try to install Intel Managemenet Interface and if you have AMD, try to install the chipsets of your mobo, hope it helps bro!