My solution for input lag mice issues, this might help some of you!

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
kokkatc

Re: My solution for input lag mice issues, this might help some of you!

Post by kokkatc » 08 Jul 2022, 16:27

lowel wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 03:39
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 03:29
If you don't mind me asking this, how long has this fix been working for you? As for me, my modem is in the room, and it has only 1 ethernet port that is used to be plugged directly into my PC. I have bought a cat7 sftp a year ago, it immediately made a difference for about 2 days then the lag came back, even after trying to ground the other end of the cat7 cable since most ISP modems/routers don't really offer grounded ports, the problem was still there.
Hello Weirdinputlag!, No issues so far since the day i fixed, hope it stays like this. The difference that i have compared to you is that my router has more Ethernet Ports, but to be honest, i dont think this is gonna have any impact... About the CAT7 Cable, i think that cable should be good enough, but since i fixed this issue with a CAT8 SFTP, im not sure if this is gonna make a huge difference.

I replied the other guys about the chipset stuff! If you have INTEL try to install Intel Managemenet Interface and if you have AMD, try to install the chipsets of your mobo, hope it helps bro!
Wanted to comment on intel chipset drivers vs amd chipset drivers. Installing intel chipset drivers for Z390, z490, z590, helped w/ input lag and lowered latency. However, on my 5800x build (X570), installing AMD chipset drivers completely destroys latency and desync exists in game. Stuff like getting hit w/ multiple shots before being able to get 1 shot in, along w/ a floatier mouse. So, on my 5800x X570 build, I do not install amd chipset drivers because it cripples latency/games.

lowel

Post by lowel » 08 Jul 2022, 17:14

kokkatc wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 16:27
lowel wrote:
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
If you don't mind me asking this, how long has this fix been working for you? As for me, my modem is in the room, and it has only 1 ethernet port that is used to be plugged directly into my PC. I have bought a cat7 sftp a year ago, it immediately made a difference for about 2 days then the lag came back, even after trying to ground the other end of the cat7 cable since most ISP modems/routers don't really offer grounded ports, the problem was still there.
Hello Weirdinputlag!, No issues so far since the day i fixed, hope it stays like this. The difference that i have compared to you is that my router has more Ethernet Ports, but to be honest, i dont think this is gonna have any impact... About the CAT7 Cable, i think that cable should be good enough, but since i fixed this issue with a CAT8 SFTP, im not sure if this is gonna make a huge difference.

I replied the other guys about the chipset stuff! If you have INTEL try to install Intel Managemenet Interface and if you have AMD, try to install the chipsets of your mobo, hope it helps bro!
Wanted to comment on intel chipset drivers vs amd chipset drivers. Installing intel chipset drivers for Z390, z490, z590, helped w/ input lag and lowered latency. However, on my 5800x build (X570), installing AMD chipset drivers completely destroys latency and desync exists in game. Stuff like getting hit w/ multiple shots before being able to get 1 shot in, along w/ a floatier mouse. So, on my 5800x X570 build, I do not install amd chipset drivers because it cripples latency/games.
Hello kokkat! Really nice info, i was not aware of that

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 08 Jul 2022, 22:46

kokkatc wrote:
lowel wrote:
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:

Have not heard of this before. I'm curious now.

What happens when you don't install the chipset drivers? Does Windows automatically install default/older chipset drivers?

Haven't heard of people not installing/updating chipset drivers as one of the first things when setting up a new PC.

xShino

Post by xShino » 09 Jul 2022, 11:28

Hey lowel,

Thank you for taking your time answering all these questions. I also have one.

Did you have this problem only ingame or also on desktop? I sometimes don't even check if a change helps ingame, if it doesn't even make a difference on the desktop.

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 10 Jul 2022, 01:35

Shade7 wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 22:46
kokkatc wrote:
lowel wrote:
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:

Have not heard of this before. I'm curious now.

What happens when you don't install the chipset drivers? Does Windows automatically install default/older chipset drivers?

Haven't heard of people not installing/updating chipset drivers as one of the first things when setting up a new PC.
In any windows installation, chipset drivers will be installed automatically. Drivers mind you that are signed and vigorously tested, so you don't necessarily need to install the chipset drivers from your mobo's manufacturer's website. There are cases where chipset drivers increase latency and cause numerous lag related issues as will any driver. What I've always done is set a restore point prior to installing chipset drivers. I also compare dpc latency using latmon with and without. It's more apparent in game if they did you any good or not.

As for Intel, you have the infamous Intel management engine drivers. This runs your CPU's subsystem which is responsible for a lot of functions, some of which is responsible for how your cpu 4uns and operates. When it was first launched it was highly recommended to not install this and uninstall it if you see it in system devices because it was a potential backdoor into your system. On more modern CPU's, Intel management should be installed because it plays a role in the performance of your cpu. As for AMD... Chipset drivers add mouse lag for me and weird shit in game constantly happens, desync wise. I suspect the chipset version also plays a role, so just set a restore point and test for yourself.

Unreazz

Post by Unreazz » 10 Jul 2022, 05:43

Chipset drivers can cause input lag, but they are not responsible for any desync. i allready tested this by my own.

lowel

Post by lowel » 11 Jul 2022, 03:53

xShino wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 11:28
Hey lowel,

Thank you for taking your time answering all these questions. I also have one.

Did you have this problem only ingame or also on desktop? I sometimes don't even check if a change helps ingame, if it doesn't even make a difference on the desktop.
Hello xShino! I might had it also on desktop, but it was really hard to feel it. In-game it was way easier to feel the input lag

Wayzer

Post by Wayzer » 11 Jul 2022, 13:11

Did exact the same thing yesterday, that was a massive wow effect after 3.5 years of struggling with input lag. Didnt feel my mouse like that on my PC in years.
In my case - it killed the "heavy" mouse feel completely, like absolutely no heavy mouse feeling. BUT, for some reason, after a couple of minutes playing like the delay comes back, not a heavy feeling, but like 0.1+ms delay. Idk why, but for example unplugging and plugging back in monitor cable "resets" this for the next 30 secs, like I dont feel any delay at all, and then comes back after 30 secs. The same effect I'm getting when I change for example nvidia reflex settings in Valorant, or just by changing thread affinity in task manager.

This is probably the best results that I've ever had with input lag rn, but this delay thing is driving me crazy. Idk how to fix this, this is some unexplainable bs, how the hell did I manage to fix "heavy" feeling, but didn't fix the delay itself. Do anyone have some ideas guys?

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 11 Jul 2022, 15:13

Wayzer wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 13:11
Did exact the same thing yesterday, that was a massive wow effect after 3.5 years of struggling with input lag. Didnt feel my mouse like that on my PC in years.
In my case - it killed the "heavy" mouse feel completely, like absolutely no heavy mouse feeling. BUT, for some reason, after a couple of minutes playing like the delay comes back, not a heavy feeling, but like 0.1+ms delay. Idk why, but for example unplugging and plugging back in monitor cable "resets" this for the next 30 secs, like I dont feel any delay at all, and then comes back after 30 secs. The same effect I'm getting when I change for example nvidia reflex settings in Valorant, or just by changing thread affinity in task manager.

This is probably the best results that I've ever had with input lag rn, but this delay thing is driving me crazy. Idk how to fix this, this is some unexplainable bs, how the hell did I manage to fix "heavy" feeling, but didn't fix the delay itself. Do anyone have some ideas guys?
If this is Valorant specific- then it "might" be wonky issues with the game servers/config. I only say "might", just because it could always be caused by something else.

If you are exiting the game & launching it again, you might experiance slightly changing mouse behavior/game behavior. I will try to make a thread on this sometime in the future, once I get more information on it. Seems to be an unusual (possibly rare) issue, and I've been troubleshooting/discussing it with Valorant Support.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 11 Jul 2022, 16:38

Wayzer wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 13:11

That was my case too when I used to play Valo a while back, when I alt tab to check some stuff and then come back, the game is responsive as hell, everything is instant, switching weapons feel so light and effortless. then 10 - 30 seconds later it all comes back. The monitor does go black briefly every time i tab out, so maybe its related, who knows.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini