My solution for input lag mice issues, this might help some of you!

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Wayzer

Re: My solution for input lag mice issues, this might help some of you!

Post by Wayzer » 12 Jul 2022, 05:56

Shade7 wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 15:13
Wayzer wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 13:11
Did exact the same thing yesterday, that was a massive wow effect after 3.5 years of struggling with input lag. Didnt feel my mouse like that on my PC in years.
In my case - it killed the "heavy" mouse feel completely, like absolutely no heavy mouse feeling. BUT, for some reason, after a couple of minutes playing like the delay comes back, not a heavy feeling, but like 0.1+ms delay. Idk why, but for example unplugging and plugging back in monitor cable "resets" this for the next 30 secs, like I dont feel any delay at all, and then comes back after 30 secs. The same effect I'm getting when I change for example nvidia reflex settings in Valorant, or just by changing thread affinity in task manager.

This is probably the best results that I've ever had with input lag rn, but this delay thing is driving me crazy. Idk how to fix this, this is some unexplainable bs, how the hell did I manage to fix "heavy" feeling, but didn't fix the delay itself. Do anyone have some ideas guys?
If this is Valorant specific- then it "might" be wonky issues with the game servers/config. I only say "might", just because it could always be caused by something else.

If you are exiting the game & launching it again, you might experiance slightly changing mouse behavior/game behavior. I will try to make a thread on this sometime in the future, once I get more information on it. Seems to be an unusual (possibly rare) issue, and I've been troubleshooting/discussing it with Valorant Support.
Didnt try in CS yet, but it definitely seems like val problem. My mate who never had input issue said he expiriencing the same problem with changing somehting in config.

Also did you "optimize" your windows? Bcs I did, and my mate too. The HPET thing, the fullscreen optimizations etc. Maybe its the OS problem itself when you mess up something, but idrk.
Last edited by Wayzer on 12 Jul 2022, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

Wayzer

Post by Wayzer » 12 Jul 2022, 06:23

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 16:38
Wayzer wrote:
Did exact the same thing yesterday, that was a massive wow effect after 3.5 years of struggling with input lag. Didnt feel my mouse like that on my PC in years.
In my case - it killed the "heavy" mouse feel completely, like absolutely no heavy mouse feeling. BUT, for some reason, after a couple of minutes playing like the delay comes back, not a heavy feeling, but like 0.1+ms delay. Idk why, but for example unplugging and plugging back in monitor cable "resets" this for the next 30 secs, like I dont feel any delay at all, and then comes back after 30 secs. The same effect I'm getting when I change for example nvidia reflex settings in Valorant, or just by changing thread affinity in task manager.

This is probably the best results that I've ever had with input lag rn, but this delay thing is driving me crazy. Idk how to fix this, this is some unexplainable bs, how the hell did I manage to fix "heavy" feeling, but didn't fix the delay itself. Do anyone have some ideas guys?
That was my case too when I used to play Valo a while back, when I alt tab to check some stuff and then come back, the game is responsive as hell, everything is instant, switching weapons feel so light and effortless. then 10 - 30 seconds later it all comes back. The monitor does go black briefly every time i tab out, so maybe its related, who knows.
Yea literally the same. Changing nvidia reflex doing exact the same thing tho, try it out. Idk how tf did they manage to mess up this stuff

MontyTheAverage

Post by MontyTheAverage » 12 Jul 2022, 06:55

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
Wayzer wrote:

That was my case too when I used to play Valo a while back, when I alt tab to check some stuff and then come back, the game is responsive as hell, everything is instant, switching weapons feel so light and effortless. then 10 - 30 seconds later it all comes back. The monitor does go black briefly every time i tab out, so maybe its related, who knows.
I have this issue with all the online games I tried. It's crazy bro. I go do something while the game window is minimized for few minutes then go back into the game, It is super smooth graphics wise, mouse is very responsive, everything is good but after few seconds all the issues come back. Also when I start start up PC to play a game, Usually the first 5 minutes or the first match I'm mostly lag free, good hitreg, no desync and responsive mouse. But always the problems come back.

lenat

Post by lenat » 12 Jul 2022, 09:21

MontyTheAverage wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 06:55
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
Wayzer wrote:

I have this issue with all the online games I tried. It's crazy bro. I go do something while the game window is minimized for few minutes then go back into the game, It is super smooth graphics wise, mouse is very responsive, everything is good but after few seconds all the issues come back. Also when I start start up PC to play a game, Usually the first 5 minutes or the first match I'm mostly lag free, good hitreg, no desync and responsive mouse. But always the problems come back.
With a random bug I found in Valorant, I was able to actually prove this issue exists. Now they can use this bug to also see what causes the game to get smooth again after a few minutes alt tabbed.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pFDmnxhUW4

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 12 Jul 2022, 13:49

Wayzer wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 05:56
Shade7 wrote:
Wayzer wrote:

If this is Valorant specific- then it "might" be wonky issues with the game servers/config. I only say "might", just because it could always be caused by something else.

If you are exiting the game & launching it again, you might experiance slightly changing mouse behavior/game behavior. I will try to make a thread on this sometime in the future, once I get more information on it. Seems to be an unusual (possibly rare) issue, and I've been troubleshooting/discussing it with Valorant Support.
Didnt try in CS yet, but it definitely seems like val problem. My mate who never had input issue said he expiriencing the same problem with changing somehting in config.

Also did you "optimize" your windows? Bcs I did, and my mate too. The HPET thing, the fullscreen optimizations etc. Maybe its the OS problem itself when you mess up something, but idrk.
From what I've been reading up on (literally every post regarding Valorant anywhere lol), and speaking with Riot Support- I think a majority of system "tweaks" will only make Valorant run worse. You can get higher fps, lower latency numbers, but at the core of it- the game will not function the way as intended if too many changes are made from default. Valorant seems very sensitive to "tweaks". IDK if its the nature of vanguard, or the way the game is "simulated", and the built in movement prediction. Anytime I start to apply a lot of the performance tweaks, the game starts acting wonky. Right now, my game is feeling better than ever before. Here's what I've done.

IMO, if you are having isues with Valorant, try this:

1. Clean reinstall windows using usb media creation tool. (just to undo any previous tweaks).

2. install Nvidia driver (through classic Nvidia install, no Nvcleanstall or NVslimmer)

3. NVCP- leave the preset as "let the 3d application decide", NOT use the advanced 3d image settings. Leave this as default. No need to use/set the high performance options as the ingame Reflex ON+BOOST takes care of that.

4. Set Windows High performance power profile

5. DO NOT use ISLC, or any Timer changes. DO NOT disable HPET. Leave it on whatever your clean windows reinstall decided for you.

6. Don't disable fullscreen optimization- you get lower input lag with the optimization on in newer Windows 10/11 builds. Riot also recommends not touching any of the "compatibility" settings for the game or you risk running into issues.

7. Game Mode ON, Game Bar OFF, HAGS OFF

8. Only drivers you need on clean install manually -> Chipset, GPU, Ethernet.

9. DO NOT update the audio drivers, leave it as microsoft's driver automatically installed through Windows update.

10. RAM Configuration/Stability also seems to play a big role in Valorant gameplay. Higher speed doesn't help much, as a decent cpu can pull enough frames. I would prefer lower frequency with more stability.

Overall, this is just some of the stuff that comes to mind. After a lot of troubleshooting and "shtty" feeling gameplay, I finally seem to have a stable config that allows my PC to play the game smoothly, in a way that I would expect it to perform.

Wayzer

Post by Wayzer » 12 Jul 2022, 18:49

Shade7 wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 13:49
Wayzer wrote:
Shade7 wrote:
Wayzer wrote:

From what I've been reading up on (literally every post regarding Valorant anywhere lol), and speaking with Riot Support- I think a majority of system "tweaks" will only make Valorant run worse. You can get higher fps, lower latency numbers, but at the core of it- the game will not function the way as intended if too many changes are made from default. Valorant seems very sensitive to "tweaks". IDK if its the nature of vanguard, or the way the game is "simulated", and the built in movement prediction. Anytime I start to apply a lot of the performance tweaks, the game starts acting wonky. Right now, my game is feeling better than ever before. Here's what I've done.

1. Clean reinstall windows using usb media creation tool. (just to undo any previous tweaks).

2. install Nvidia driver (through classic Nvidia install, no Nvcleanstall or NVslimmer)

3. NVCP- leave the preset as "let the 3d application decide", NOT use the advanced 3d image settings. Leave this as default. No need to use/set the high performance options as the ingame Reflex ON+BOOST takes care of that.

5. DO NOT use ISLC, or any Timer changes. DO NOT disable HPET. Leave it on whatever your clean windows reinstall decided for you.

6. Don't disable fullscreen optimization- you get lower input lag with the optimization on in newer Windows 10/11 builds. Riot also recommends not touching any of the "compatibility" settings for the game or you risk running into issues.

9. DO NOT update the audio drivers, leave it as microsoft's driver automatically installed through Windows update.

10. RAM Configuration/Stability also seems to play a big role in Valorant gameplay. Higher speed doesn't help much, as a decent cpu can pull enough frames. I would prefer lower frequency with more stability.

Overall, this is just some of the stuff that comes to mind. After a lot of troubleshooting and "shtty" feeling gameplay, I finally seem to have a stable config that allows my PC to play the game smoothly, in a way that I would expect it to perform.
Oh yea that's what I thought exactly! Thank you so much, gonna try it out.

Also, you said that your game is feeling better than ever before - what exact symptomps you had? I'm curious what kind of problems you experienced with "tweaked" OS.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 12 Jul 2022, 20:31

Wayzer wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 18:49

Oh yea that's what I thought exactly! Thank you so much, gonna try it out.

Also, you said that your game is feeling better than ever before - what exact symptomps you had? I'm curious what kind of problems you experienced with "tweaked" OS.
I'll try my best to list out some of the things that was occuring, or atleast "appeared" to be occuring.

- Graphical abnormalities: slightly odd textures. It's so subtle, that you could easily brush it off as "must be how settings graphics to low is supposed to look". BUT, when it gets fixed (while still on low graphics), its night and day. All textures seem to be loaded properly. Character models & map textures look much more detailed and refined.

- Server desync: (or whatever. that's just my name for it). Where all enemy player movements appear jerky and unnatural. Hitboxes are not where they appear to be, and your bullets are not being registered where you expect them to. When Valorant is running well, the game is MUCH more leniant with movement error, and you can get away with a lot. The movement deadzone, while counter strafing allows for not even coming to a complete stop (as long as your momentum switches directions). It doesn't feel like every player has an advantage over you in a simple 1v1 gunfight.

- Irregular mouse movement: My mouse movement when I had issues was very strange. It felt like playing on about 100 Hz, even though my monitor was set to 280 Hz.

These are only the things I can remember off the top of my head. I'll update if I remember anything else later. I've been troubleshooting back and forth with Riot Support for like 3 weeks, and only recently felt like things are running as they should be.

Wayzer

Post by Wayzer » 13 Jul 2022, 17:02

Shade7 wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 13:49
Wayzer wrote:
Shade7 wrote:
Wayzer wrote:

Well I did everything you said, and I can say that definitely the one tap gods are disappeared for me. Now how you mentioned before theres a much more opportunities for me to escape the 1v1 for example if I did some movement error etc. I'm assuming this is the HPET messing around issue, but anyways didnt do any tweaks so.

But... the absolutely annoying thing with sens feeling after alt-tabbing, changing nvidia reflex setting, changing something in config - is still here........ This is so frustrating idk. Literally it feels like dpi changes, but its not. Exact the same sens, but absolutely different feeling. What on earth is that.

Now I dont even know if that's my router problem, bcs when I switch to a modem connection on my PC it feels much more better, and then if I alt-tab for example - its even MORE better. This is so annoying. Gonna try changing router, the ethernet cable that goes to router and idk maybe the power strip as well bcs the problem itself definitely around my wifi router.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 13 Jul 2022, 19:33

Wayzer wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 17:02

Well I did everything you said, and I can say that definitely the one tap gods are disappeared for me. Now how you mentioned before theres a much more opportunities for me to escape the 1v1 for example if I did some movement error etc. I'm assuming this is the HPET messing around issue, but anyways didnt do any tweaks so.

But... the absolutely annoying thing with sens feeling after alt-tabbing, changing nvidia reflex setting, changing something in config - is still here........ This is so frustrating idk. Literally it feels like dpi changes, but its not. Exact the same sens, but absolutely different feeling. What on earth is that.

Now I dont even know if that's my router problem, bcs when I switch to a modem connection on my PC it feels much more better, and then if I alt-tab for example - its even MORE better. This is so annoying. Gonna try changing router, the ethernet cable that goes to router and idk maybe the power strip as well bcs the problem itself definitely around my wifi router.
Any chance you have an unstable RAM config? For me, setting a stable RAM config really helped overall mouse feel ingame & in Windows.

Another strange thing you might want to consider- When was the last time you changed your mousepad. I realized only recently that my mousepad (2 years old Artisan Hayate Otsu) felt extremely muddy/sluggish in the center, while perfectly smooth closer to the edges. Even switching to a new cheaper pad, it feels very consistant now. I know this is a random thing & probably not related to your issue, but I really found it funny how much of a difference it made switching out my older pad.

In other news, 2 more days until my SFTP Ethernet cables arrive ^__^

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 15 Jul 2022, 10:17

I can not game without msi AB..i am using that thingy for almost 10-15 years..

and i am always focused on frametimes..

i had a constant spikes when i am uncapped(cpu bottlenecked)

belive it or not there is almost a zero lag when you are cpu bottlenecked
(personal opinion without any testing)
only down side was, those spikes that will appear,atleast 1-2 times per match.

completely opposite from Gpu bottleneck,when you can sense that heavy mouse feeling
(when usage is above 93-4-5..till 100%)

And just for curiosity..after i read couple of posts from this thread..
I decided 2 order a CAT8..

arrived today,switched from that cheap skinny cable,
that came from isp fibre instalation(2,5 DL 1 UL)

played 10-15 matches in 2 different games..spikes are completely gone.

its not flat-line in frametimes graph and it can not be without some sort of frame capping,
thgru g-free sync combined with ULL with auto cap or with Riva tuner or with NVCP ..etc

BUT,frametimes are howering around 3,7 till 4,3 -4,5 smooth gaming
actualy i was like did i forgot to disable some sync tech or something..

so i am gonna game this weekend and we will c ..monday tuesday..

FIRST IMPRESSION:
highly recommended.

I paid 8euros 5m lenght..
i hope in the rest of the world its not more expensive than that.

so if you have 10$ or 10E or 10whatever..invest.

1 thing that is curently unclear 2 me is..

if person who created this thread is solved his issue with this,
is he also had the same spikes manifestation,game appears sttutery
or it was kinda smooth but heavy..

I am asking this so we can determine,
when is actualy useful to buy this particular cable..

when you have spikes like in mine situation,
or when the game is smooth and just feels slow and unresponsive.

EDIT:
how the hell can different cable solve the issue with spikes?
and if its solved, what was the reason they where present?
honestly i dont understand :)