AMD bios settings

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Alpha

Re: AMD bios settings

Post by Alpha » 19 Jul 2022, 18:26

Shade7 wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 13:57
Alpha wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 10:28
Espionage724 wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 16:42
Tuhin Lavania wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 22:21

No SMT is disabled.
I don't know how it reacts on different platforms and CPUs, but with my 2700X if I disable SMT, my NVMe drive gets half the IRQs assigned to it. I'm not sure why this happens or what else may be affected.
SMT disabled made COD unplayable but other games were good to go. Pretty incredible improvement with these settings otherwise and I didn't really have any complaints before but it made a massive difference. Board right now Asus Dark Hero VIII. Thanks all!
Which other games did it improve?
Siege, Halo Infinite (Team Snipers). Siege I felt like I was cheating and I haven't played that game in quite some time. Extremely good results for me. 0 chance it is placebo.

Shieldsey

Post by Shieldsey » 16 Aug 2022, 00:25

Some of my current system specs:
Ryzen 5 5600x (PBO Yes)
EVGA 3070 XC3 Black (Minor OC)
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro (F15a)
32GB DDR4-3200 RAM (XMP Yes)
EVGA 220-G3-0750-X1 Super Nova 750 G3

(edited to remove duplicate of below)
Last edited by Shieldsey on 17 Aug 2022, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

Shieldsey

Post by Shieldsey » 16 Aug 2022, 11:24

Testing a few of these out and, um say what, you may have just changed my entire gaming experience. Huge improvements to Halo Infinite especially.
As someone already said, it feels like a cheat code. 170hz of buuuuuttter.

phpBB [video]

I'm on a 5600x, so not quite as robust as some others, and I want to make sure I'm not crippling processing power in exchange for reduced latency(if that's even possible, BIOS tweaks are a new frontier I am cautiously exploring).

Of these settings, are there some that are "gimmes" that I can update, leave on, and not worry about and are there some that have some potential risks associated with them in terms of system stability etc? I'm trying to get a sense of what to prioritize and how I can use it to possibly build some profiles on the BIOS for different games/uses.

And, yes, I'm fully on board that if I end this endeavor with an ATX sized paper weight, that is solely on me.

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 16 Aug 2022, 20:14

Shieldsey wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 11:24
Testing a few of these out and, um say what, you may have just changed my entire gaming experience. Huge improvements to Halo Infinite especially.

I'm on a 5600x, so not quite as robust as some others, and I want to make sure I'm not crippling processing power in exchange for reduced latency(if that's even possible, BIOS tweaks are a new frontier I am cautiously exploring).

Of these settings, are there some that are "gimmes" that I can update, leave on, and not worry about and are there some that have some potential risks associated with them in terms of system stability etc? I'm trying to get a sense of what to prioritize and how I can use it to possibly build some profiles on the BIOS for different games/uses.

And, yes, I'm fully on board that if I end this endeavor with an ATX sized paper weight, that is solely on me.
What have you changed so far?

EDIT: what's your current bios settings?
Last edited by BTRY B 529th FA BN on 17 Aug 2022, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 17 Aug 2022, 01:16

Shieldsey wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 11:24

phpBB [video]

I also play Infinite and this is the only mp game i play. First of all, Halo Infinite is a very poorly optimized game on PC and you need to do a lot of tweaks and optimizations to make the game playable at higher ranks. On an untweaked system, i couldnt even kill a Gold/ Plat level player very easily. Ive been tweaking mt system ( 5950x and a 3080ti ) since the game's launch and now i can easily kill a mid-onyx or even a high onyx player in a 1v1 at 150ms ping. The Ping scenario is debatable coz i actually feel 150ms servers play well for me than 60 or 90ms servers. I dont know why that is.

I want to tell you, BIOS tweaks are the biggest changes ive done to make my game better than before so you should, without a doubt try them out. I think they are a game changer.
I also play with a Power A Fusion Pro 2 controller and that has a low input delay ( around 3.5ms ) than the Xbox Elite ( 7.9ms ) I have two Elites and they are definitely worse than the Fusion Pro 2.

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 17 Aug 2022, 01:21

I wanted to ask a question here.
Do i have to disable Core Performance Boost and Precision Boost overdrive for lowest possible latency? Right now i have PBO disabled and CPB set to Auto.
Checked a lot of forums but there doesnt seem to be any concrete answer.
Thank You.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 17 Aug 2022, 04:43

This is a great post, thank you. Gonna try some of these settings. I have also been running Global C States disabled for the longest time and I am aware its killing a bit of single thread performance but I personally find the snappier and smoother feel of inputs to be worth it for me.
CPPC is what I had enabled to see for testing, as this would've spread important apps or demanding apps to the better cores and threads. I think this is better, unless you handle process core/thread assignment on your own by Process Lasso or other tools (or native Windows)

Will mess with some of these other ones mentioned in OP's post and report back with my findings if I remember. :mrgreen:
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 17 Aug 2022, 10:44

Correct me if I am wrong but I think CPPC and CPPC PC need Global C-States, and AMD Cool & Quiet, to work properly. This is what I observed while running Cinebench ST and observing what core is utilized via AMD Ryzen Master a while ago. I think it also requires Idle States enabled and Throttle States working in Windows Power Plan. Who knows, maybe a Windows update since then has changed that?

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 17 Aug 2022, 12:06

BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 10:44
Correct me if I am wrong but I think CPPC and CPPC PC need Global C-States, and AMD Cool & Quiet, to work properly. This is what I observed while running Cinebench ST and observing what core is utilized via AMD Ryzen Master a while ago. I think it also requires Idle States enabled and Throttle States working in Windows Power Plan. Who knows, maybe a Windows update since then has changed that?
Never thought or considered that. But if I check Event Viewer for EventID 55 in System it mentions properly the CPPC performance states:
Performance state type: ACPI Collaborative Processor Performance Control

This confirms it works and I have all of those disabled otherwise - AMD C&Q / C states.

For reference I am on a older Windows 10 install with Windows Update disabled.
> 21H1 OS build 19043.928
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

assombrosso

Post by assombrosso » 17 Aug 2022, 12:57

This is my response to this thread

https://twitter.com/s1mpleo/status/1559 ... FLg8-2P16w

Csgo best player don’t know what TPM even is, and you are out here spending 100 hours tweaking your mobo with 2% improvement xD