AMD bios settings

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
BTRY B 529th FA BN

AMD bios settings

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 09 Jul 2022, 10:12

I'd like to create this thread for discussion on what's the best AMD bios settings for the most input lag reduction.

A lot of bios power saving features have been developed over the years that cause input lag however they can be changed to reduce input lag and brings things back to normal.

The section headers are based off of a Gigabyte bios

Tweaker
-Spread Spectrum Control - Disabled

Tweaker\Advanced CPU Settings:
-AMD Cool'n'Quiet function aka PSS - Disabled
-Global C-state control - Disabled
-SMT Mode - Disabled
-CPPC - Disabled
-CPPC Preferred Cores - Disabled

Settings\Miscellaneous
-TSME - Disabled

Settings\AMD CBS
CPU Common Options:
-Global C-States - Disabled
*Prefetcher settings
-L1 Stream HW Prefetcher - Enabled
-L2 Stream HW Prefetcher - Enabled

UMC Common Options:
*DDR4 Common Options\Security:
-disable TSME & Data Scramble (gaming only machines not for a daily machine as it's a legit security feature but causes lag)

NBIO Common Options\SMU Common Options:
-APBDIS - 1
-SOC P-State - P0 (P0 is the highest performing state while P3 is the lowest)
-DF Cstates - Disabled
-CPPC - Disabled
-CPPC Preferred Cores - Disabled
NBIO LCLK DPM
-Manual Set all to 2

Settings\AMD Overclocking
-SoC/Uncore OC Mode - Enabled

Using Global C-States Enabled or Auto will boost a 5800X3D to 4550, if you prefer.

Some links for reference:
EDIT: links are dead
Last edited by BTRY B 529th FA BN on 21 Mar 2023, 08:10, edited 13 times in total.

Slender

Re: AMD bios settings

Post by Slender » 09 Jul 2022, 23:48

Thank you

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 10 Jul 2022, 03:31

What's your goal, highest frequency or lowest latency? Disabling C-States will always yield lower system latency which results in a snappier and more responsive mouse. This can be confirmed with latency monitor. Even if your power plan is set to high/ultimate/bitsum with USB select suspend disabled, CPU max/min 100%, pci power savings disabled, latency will be higher with C-States enabled in the bios.

So if you want lower latency for say a competitive fps game, you want C-States disabled.

In the link you posted: https://developer.amd.com/wp-content/re ... 5_0.75.pdf

Go to section 2.14. It states even there for a low latency workload, you should disable C-States for higher performance. When switching between sleep and full power mode there will always be delay and jitter.

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 10 Jul 2022, 10:49

Just trying to help. You're welcome

I've always aimed towards latency but with this 5800X3D the extra 100MHz was noticeable when Global C-States was set to Auto. Could of been the immediate aftermath from the change of settings but I've been running with it for the past month or two and I haven't noticed that great of a hit with Global C-States at Auto.

I agree, C-States is a very influential setting.

The other area with some great improvements were from the SMU and IF settings. I've been fooling with these settings for about a year or so. The PDF's helped explain things alot.

Yup, I know. I mentioned that my settings weren't the best, and I do change them occasionally.

Tell

Post by Tell » 10 Jul 2022, 12:32

Can you share your reasoning for these settings? Why SOC P-State P1 instead of P0? Was there problems with the highest performance P0?

What did you gain by forcing HPET? That change seems very strange.

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 10 Jul 2022, 23:05

BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 10:49
Just trying to help. You're welcome.
I wanted to apologize if my post came out rude. Awesome thread you started with great info. I just wanted to comment on C-States since you mentioned you left it on auto. Hoping this thread provides a lot of good info for Ryzen builds looking to optimize their bios.

kokkatc

Post by kokkatc » 10 Jul 2022, 23:07

Tell wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 12:32
Can you share your reasoning for these settings? Why SOC P-State P1 instead of P0? Was there problems with the highest performance P0?

What did you gain by forcing HPET? That change seems very strange.
Great questions. I'd love to hear your explanation for using these settings as well, especially where you decided to enable hpet which is very strange indeed.

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 11 Jul 2022, 10:58

@kokkatc My bad. I didn't quote people when replying. I was directing the first comment towards Slender. It's all good ;)

My list is not a guide. This thread is open for users to add their own comments and other bios-setting suggestions that help reduce input lag. I seem to be getting more questions rather than "hey, no that's wrong. check out this link. this says it reduces input lag." I am hoping this becomes a good source of info for the best bios settings for AMD systems that reduce input lag that will help everyone. Even myself. I've disclosed that my settings are not the best e.g. Global C-States: that when set to Disabled provide that Jitter reduction that's noticeable. I guess I've been on this venture so long to find the best settings, that not only cover the bios but many other areas, GPU settings, OS tweaks, Networking, Input devices, etc. that reduces input lag, that I'm going against the grain in some areas like using P1 instead of P0. Using Auto instead of Disabled. Using HPET. HPET has helped with UT4. It seemed to reduce input lag, and besides ,, one of the other Windows Timers has stopped UT4 from from crashing when the server is changing the map in-between matches. It's a common thing that has been happening to everyone for the past 6-7yrs with UT4: a game that was left in 'Pre-Alpha' development stage. Again, not everything I'm testing and doing is the best for all games, just my particular vice.

I don't offer scientific explanations nor measurable scientific experiments with these settings. In the recent year those AMD developer links have helped explain and provide input lag reducing optimizations.

Tuhin Lavania

Post by Tuhin Lavania » 13 Jul 2022, 12:51

I tried some of the OP settings and they seem to have an effect on the input lag i was facing in Halo Infinite. I have playd around 20 matches to come to this conclusion.

I will add to this. I have a 5950x and putting Core levelling mode to 4 and on one CCD really decreases a lot of latency. So basically i have 12 cores disabled and i play on 4 cores on a 5950X.

Slender

Post by Slender » 13 Jul 2022, 15:03

Tuhin Lavania wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 12:51
I tried some of the OP settings and they seem to have an effect on the input lag i was facing in Halo Infinite. I have playd around 20 matches to come to this conclusion.

I will add to this. I have a 5950x and putting Core levelling mode to 4 and on one CCD really decreases a lot of latency. So basically i have 12 cores disabled and i play on 4 cores on a 5950X.
???
5950x have 8+8 ccd, just disable 1ccd and give like 5800x.
lol