Stutter/inconsistent performance

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
netarangi

Stutter/inconsistent performance

Post by netarangi » 19 Jul 2022, 06:01

Hi all,

Have had this issue for over a year now and can't solve it. I'll try my best to explain it..

Whenever I'm gaming it feels like there is a slight input delay at all times and it gets worse when there's more action on screen or when enemies shoot etc. It feels like there's an overlay on the game and I'm not directly controlling it, rather a slightly delayed video.

I was playing gunfire reborn earlier and the fps graph isn't a smooth framerate but it's moreso dropping 5% or so every second. Staring at one spot on a wall and it is mostly fine except small spikes in the framerate graph every second. Definitely not how I remember gaming as a kid..

Call me crazy but it feels like it is something to do with interrupts causing stutter.

Very hard to describe, would a video be good to show what I mean?

Specs:

Windows 11
Nvidia gigabyte 3070 oc gaming
12700kf
Asus Gaming TUF Z690-Plus WiFi D4
Corsair Vengeance lpx 4000 running stable cl14
Samsung 970 evo plus nvme
https://t.me/pump_upp

xShino

Re: Stutter/inconsistent performance

Post by xShino » 19 Jul 2022, 08:38

It feels like there's an overlay on the game and I'm not directly controlling it, rather a slightly delayed video.
Just wanted to point out that is the exact same feeling I have which I have never been able to solve. Very interesting that someone else other than me uses the term "overlay". I tried to describe it as if there were multiple layers of glass on my monitor which makes my cursor look kinda unsnappy.

Sambyal

Post by Sambyal » 19 Jul 2022, 14:02

I have this similar problem , have been trying tweaks from last 3 years , have changed to new gaming PC as well but no luck. Plz let me know if in case you find any solution for this

Slender

Post by Slender » 19 Jul 2022, 18:44

netarangi wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 06:01
Hi all,

Have had this issue for over a year now and can't solve it. I'll try my best to explain it..

Whenever I'm gaming it feels like there is a slight input delay at all times and it gets worse when there's more action on screen or when enemies shoot etc. It feels like there's an overlay on the game and I'm not directly controlling it, rather a slightly delayed video.

I was playing gunfire reborn earlier and the fps graph isn't a smooth framerate but it's moreso dropping 5% or so every second. Staring at one spot on a wall and it is mostly fine except small spikes in the framerate graph every second. Definitely not how I remember gaming as a kid..

Call me crazy but it feels like it is something to do with interrupts causing stutter.

Specs:

Windows 11
12700kf
z690 and 12700kf --- this

netarangi

Post by netarangi » 20 Jul 2022, 16:27

Slender wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 18:44
netarangi wrote:
Hi all,

Specs:

Windows 11
12700kf
Issue was present on my 9600k and gigabyte aorus board
https://t.me/pump_upp

texre

Post by texre » 20 Jul 2022, 17:40

netarangi wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 16:27
Slender wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 18:44
netarangi wrote:
Hi all,

Specs:

Windows 11
12700kf
Issue was present on my 9600k and gigabyte aorus board
its your internet or house

sherifmagdy32

Post by sherifmagdy32 » 20 Jul 2022, 18:25

I would suggest you try these if you didn't already I hope they help
- if using Nvidia GPU go to Nvidia control panel -> adjust desktop size set it to no scaling and scaling on display
- disable HPET as far as I know recent windows versions come already with it disabled nowadays (run in cmd as administrator "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes" "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformtick" )
- try FSE using this reg value
"
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005
"
replace with this
"OverlayTestMode"=-
to get back to default
-Try going to the game main exe file and right-click properties then compatibility and select to disable the full-screen optimization box
also, click change dpi settings and select override high dpi scaling behavior by application.

Shade7

Post by Shade7 » 20 Jul 2022, 22:03

sherifmagdy32 wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 18:25
- if using Nvidia GPU go to Nvidia control panel -> adjust desktop size set it to no scaling and scaling on display
- disable HPET as far as I know recent windows versions come already with it disabled nowadays (run in cmd as administrator "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes" "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformtick" )
"

"
replace with this
"OverlayTestMode"=-
to get back to default
-Try going to the game main exe file and right-click properties then compatibility and select to disable the full-screen optimization box
also, click change dpi settings and select override high dpi scaling behavior by application.
Wasn't the newest recommendation to NOT disable fullscreen optimizations or change dpi scaling on the latest builds of Windows, since there is less latency leaving those stock.

MT_

Post by MT_ » 21 Jul 2022, 05:11

Shade7 wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 22:03
sherifmagdy32 wrote:
"

"
replace with this
"OverlayTestMode"=-
to get back to default
Wasn't the newest recommendation to NOT disable fullscreen optimizations or change dpi scaling on the latest builds of Windows, since there is less latency leaving those stock.
FSO is seldom a cause of issue anymore these days. Not even on later Windows 10 builds. DPI scaling should not matter as long as the game shows itself natively (not blurry). I know only one game which screws up on DPI when DPI is set high in Windows. (Can apply it to the launcher of the game, and all child processes are affected accordingly).
sherifmagdy32 wrote:
"

"
replace with this
"OverlayTestMode"=-
to get back to default
bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformtick makes no sense unless you explicitely defined this setting in bcdedit to begin with, or when you have a shitty piece of software which apparently made this entry.

As for HPET, its fine to keep it enabled in BIOS, as long as you don't touch anything else Windows will simply use iTSC as the primary timer, and HPET is only there optionally for applications that specifically call upon that timer.
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

sherifmagdy32

Post by sherifmagdy32 » 21 Jul 2022, 08:49

Shade7 wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 22:03
sherifmagdy32 wrote:
"

"
replace with this
"OverlayTestMode"=-
to get back to default
True but in your case you already having problems so try them to see if you feel any change if you don't just revert back to default and always creat restore points before you try anything just to be safe